HD Video playback on computer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Major Player

HD Video playback on computer?

I have encoded a 1080x1440i clip with Vegas in Mpg4/H.264. QuickTime, VideoLan, and Windows Media Player all are unable to play it, though I can hear the audio. I have the same problem with Mpeg4 recorded from Dish Satellite. If I encode this same clip at 720x480 (or Mpeg-2), both the VideoLan (ver 8.6d) and Quicktime(ver 7.4) will play it.
Is there a pluggin that I need, and if so where do I get it?

In order to make a BluRay compatible high def disc on a regular DVD+R, I believe it has to be in Mpeg 4, not Mpeg-2 . If you have a BluRay burner and are burning to a BluRay disc, then the Mpeg-2 option is also supported.
Am I correct on this?

Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kepen View Post
In order to make a BluRay compatible high def disc on a regular DVD+R, I believe it has to be in Mpeg 4, not Mpeg-2 . If you have a BluRay burner and are burning to a BluRay disc, then the Mpeg-2 option is also supported.
Am I correct on this?

Thanks - PK
Nope! I do indeed play MPEG-4 (DivX) files but I regularly put HDV, i.e MPEG-2 (.m2t) files onto DVD+R's burnt on a "normal" PC DVD writer via Vegas 7/DVD Architect 4 to play full HD video on my Playstation 3...not sure about "normal" Blue Ray players. Only recently has MPEG-4 playback been possible with the PS3 (latest firmware update - thanks Sony!)

You are limited to about 20 minutes of video with .m2t 1080x1440i format, no doubt longer with MPEG-4 but I can't shoot/edit anything worth watching longer than than that (...yet...but I'm working on it!)

The .m2t file has to be in a folder called video for the PS3 to be able to view it.

I can only view HD video on my PC within Vegas.
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Nope! I do indeed play MPEG-4 (DivX) files but I regularly put HDV, i.e MPEG-2 (.m2t) files onto DVD+R's burnt on a "normal" PC DVD writer via Vegas 7/DVD Architect 4 to play full HD video on my Playstation 3...not sure about "normal" Blue Ray players. Only recently has MPEG-4 playback been possible with the PS3 (latest firmware update - thanks Sony!)

You are limited to about 20 minutes of video with .m2t 1080x1440i format, no doubt longer with MPEG-4 but I can't shoot/edit anything worth watching longer than than that (...yet...but I'm working on it!)

The .m2t file has to be in a folder called video for the PS3 to be able to view it.

I can only view HD video on my PC within Vegas.
Thanks Andy for the reply. I have had excellent results using HDV toMpeg2 on a DVD+R to HD-DVD using Ulead MovieFactory. However, since HDDVD seems to be dead, I want to pursue BluRay. I tried writting a BluRay compatible disc with Vegas 8. In V8 there is an option to go straigh from the time line to BluRay disc. It defaults to Mpeg 4, but has a Mpeg2 option. My computre crashes when I try doing the Mpeg4 encode, but is successful with Mpeg2, so I decided to use that. However when I put the disc in my BluRay player (Panny BD-30), It reads the disc and gives the message "DVD" followed by "unsupported format." When I put it in my DVD burner drive on the computer, it is unable to read it, So I don't know how the files are encoded ie. is there a Video folder, etc.
You mention you are using Vegas 7/DVD Architect 4. Do you use DVD architect, complete with menu's in your HD projects to Blu Ray? What encoding/bit rate do you use in V7, and how do you set DVD Architect to work with an HD file? You put the m2t file in a folder labeled Video. Is the audio in a seperate file/folder? Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

m2t playback on DVD+R's

Opps! Sorry, I made a mistake (one too many beers with friends in the pub tonight I think). I DO NOT use Sony DVD Architect to burn these .m2t files once I've finished editing in Vegas 7, I simply render them out as a .m2t for burning in HD and render another version out to Std Def MPEG-2 Main Concept for normal DVD production in DVDA. Sorry for the confusion!

With the HD .m2t, that file is simply put in a folder called video and that folder is burnt onto a normal DVD+R "data" disc with standard (in my case Sonic Record Now) DVD burning software, not as a DVD-Video with Sony's DVDA.

On the PS3 it will just play the file all the way through, you don't get fancy options like A to B repeats, I think, certainly not any menu options etc....at least not with a PS3. You can pause it or fast FWD/REW at various speeds but that is about it.

Still blumming good tho!!!!

So a question, will these DVD+R discs I'm making with .m2t HD files ALSO play OK on a HD-DVD player?..it sounds like they will if I've read you post correctly Paul. Good news if true....Just looking for maximum versatility while they are still around.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; February 20th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions