MPEG1 cannot handle "heavy editing" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MPEG1 cannot handle "heavy editing"

I read posts about people saying that the MPEG1 audio is fine but cannot handle "heavy editing".

Could someone please enlighten me as to what would constitute heavy editing?
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #2

Any sort of processing is going to degrade the information further. It's important that you convert to an intermediate format such as wav or aiff as soon as you've captured. Cineform muxes this as a pcm format when you capture, I'm not sure how Lumeire does it, but once it's converted, for the most part you'll be just fine.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

DSE, you used the word "muxes" when you said that Cineform converts to PCM. So am I correct in understanding that this is not ideal? Not sure if I am following you on that one.

Also, after you convert to a wav file it is ok to edit the audio without degrading it or are you saying that it is degraded only you leave it in mpeg1?

thanks
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #4
Contributor

I think what he meant is that Cineform demuxes the stream and audio gets written to a seperate linear file. Mux and demux are terms that come from the telecom industry, and they refer to multiplexing, which is the combination of various signals into a single signal, and demultiplexing which means going the other way around.
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Jacobson : DSE, you used the word "muxes" when you said that Cineform converts to PCM. So am I correct in understanding that this is not ideal? -->>>

Techinically it is ideal. Demultiplex and decompressed audio is stored in a 16bit lossless form, this is the form is must be in if your are to hear it and make any enhancements.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by David Newman : <<<-- Originally posted by Greg Jacobson : DSE, you used the word "muxes" when you said that Cineform converts to PCM. So am I correct in understanding that this is not ideal? -->>>

Techinically it is ideal. Demultiplex and decompressed audio is stored in a 16bit lossless form, this is the form is must be in if your are to hear it and make any enhancements. -->>>

Ok thanks David, Looks like I am going with the Premeire Pro bundle with the Aspect HD. As I understand it, I also get to use Connect HD with Vegas if I buy Aspect HD. That is what I read in the forum on your site.
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is correct, Connect HD is a subset of Aspect HD (AHD has all of CHD plus much more.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions