DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   which Blu Ray burner to buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/461240-blu-ray-burner-buy.html)

Dylan Couper October 1st, 2009 10:52 AM

which Blu Ray burner to buy?

I guess Blu Ray isn't going away, and I need to make some HD copies of a short film, so it looks like I'm in the market for a BR burner.

I've always had bad luck with optical drives, none seem to last more than 2 years for me (considering I never burn more than 1 disc a month, this sucks), so I'd like to find something from a reliable brand.

Cheap-ish is good. I've seen lots of options under $250, so I'd like to cap it at that. Any suggestions?

And also, any leads on where to by BR discs cheap?

Thanks!

Perrone Ford October 1st, 2009 10:58 AM

My Lacie burner (external) has been working great for me. I use it at least every other week and have for about a year.

As for Blu-Ray disks, I am getting about $2.65 per disk in the 25GB size. The 50GB size are still pricey, though less than half the price I was paying a year ago. I think I paid $48.99 or something for them last year in a pack of 5. I bought some 2 weeks ago at $17.99 and bought a pack of 10.

Just do some looking around on the search sites like nextag and you can find the deals.

Harm Millaard October 1st, 2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1422622)
I guess Blu Ray isn't going away, and I need to make some HD copies of a short film, so it looks like I'm in the market for a BR burner.

I've always had bad luck with optical drives, none seem to last more than 2 years for me (considering I never burn more than 1 disc a month, this sucks), so I'd like to find something from a reliable brand.

Cheap-ish is good. I've seen lots of options under $250, so I'd like to cap it at that. Any suggestions?

And also, any leads on where to by BR discs cheap?

Thanks!

Two models come to mind:

LG GGW-H20L or the Sony NEC Optiarc BWU-300S

Tripp Woelfel October 2nd, 2009 07:04 AM

I can vote for the LG. I've had one for about a year without issue. I've probably burned about 30 disks, which is not a lot but I've had no coasters thus far.

Adam Gold October 2nd, 2009 12:38 PM

I have the LG as well and can echo what Tripp said.

Paul Digges October 8th, 2009 06:37 PM

I've heard good things about the Pioneer BDR-203BKS. Also on previous tech support calls with Adobe concerning Encore, they've recommended Pioneer drives and Verbatim media as it's what they use in house.

Steven Reid October 9th, 2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Digges (Post 1429721)
I've heard good things about the Pioneer BDR-203BKS. Also on previous tech support calls with Adobe concerning Encore, they've recommended Pioneer drives and Verbatim media as it's what they use in house.

I bought this burner several months ago. It is excellent. I thoroughly checked out reviews on newegg dot com and other places. It is pricier than other burners, but I wanted to buy a problem-free device. So far, I've had not a single problem or glitch. I ready spotty reviews about the included Blu-ray player software; I didn't bother installing the software since I don't watch BR on my system. It burns just great.

$0.02,
Steve

Warren Kawamoto October 9th, 2009 04:06 PM

LG GGW-H20L

Had this for almost 2 years with no hiccups at all. It was also the cheapest BR burner back then, but I dont' know about now.

Taky Cheung October 11th, 2009 07:00 PM

Amen on the LG burner too. Good price and reliable burner.

Marcus Martell October 19th, 2009 02:31 PM

How much do the sont and Pioneer model cost?Are them external?

thx

Kelly Langerak January 20th, 2010 02:44 PM

I'm looking at the BDR-205 because it writes faster then the rest, but my question is about a SATA connection.

My Mac Pro Dual Core was purchased in 2006. Does it have a SATA connection inside? I can't see one. Now I want an internal drive so what SATA part do I need to buy so I can hook up this burner in my Mac?

Would I need to buy or upgrade anything else to get this working?

I do have the latest Toast with the Blu-Ray plugin as well as I'm exporting with Final Cut Pro

Gordon George January 21st, 2010 03:30 PM

I bought a Pioneer 12x BDR-205 Blu-ray burner. I haven't used it a lot, but so far it has been very good. I buy my blank blu rays from SourceRite | Featured Products / Hot Deals (in Canada) and I have been very happy with them in terms of price and quick shipping. ~$5 for a printable blank 25 gb blu ray and blu ray case.