which Blu Ray burner to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Wrangler

which Blu Ray burner to buy?

I guess Blu Ray isn't going away, and I need to make some HD copies of a short film, so it looks like I'm in the market for a BR burner.

I've always had bad luck with optical drives, none seem to last more than 2 years for me (considering I never burn more than 1 disc a month, this sucks), so I'd like to find something from a reliable brand.

Cheap-ish is good. I've seen lots of options under $250, so I'd like to cap it at that. Any suggestions?

And also, any leads on where to by BR discs cheap?

Thanks!
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

My Lacie burner (external) has been working great for me. I use it at least every other week and have for about a year.

As for Blu-Ray disks, I am getting about $2.65 per disk in the 25GB size. The 50GB size are still pricey, though less than half the price I was paying a year ago. I think I paid $48.99 or something for them last year in a pack of 5. I bought some 2 weeks ago at $17.99 and bought a pack of 10.

Just do some looking around on the search sites like nextag and you can find the deals.
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I guess Blu Ray isn't going away, and I need to make some HD copies of a short film, so it looks like I'm in the market for a BR burner.

I've always had bad luck with optical drives, none seem to last more than 2 years for me (considering I never burn more than 1 disc a month, this sucks), so I'd like to find something from a reliable brand.

Cheap-ish is good. I've seen lots of options under $250, so I'd like to cap it at that. Any suggestions?

And also, any leads on where to by BR discs cheap?

Thanks!
Two models come to mind:

LG GGW-H20L or the Sony NEC Optiarc BWU-300S
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Trustee

I can vote for the LG. I've had one for about a year without issue. I've probably burned about 30 disks, which is not a lot but I've had no coasters thus far.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the LG as well and can echo what Tripp said.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've heard good things about the Pioneer BDR-203BKS. Also on previous tech support calls with Adobe concerning Encore, they've recommended Pioneer drives and Verbatim media as it's what they use in house.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Digges View Post
I've heard good things about the Pioneer BDR-203BKS. Also on previous tech support calls with Adobe concerning Encore, they've recommended Pioneer drives and Verbatim media as it's what they use in house.
I bought this burner several months ago. It is excellent. I thoroughly checked out reviews on newegg dot com and other places. It is pricier than other burners, but I wanted to buy a problem-free device. So far, I've had not a single problem or glitch. I ready spotty reviews about the included Blu-ray player software; I didn't bother installing the software since I don't watch BR on my system. It burns just great.

$0.02,
Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Trustee

LG GGW-H20L

Had this for almost 2 years with no hiccups at all. It was also the cheapest BR burner back then, but I dont' know about now.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Amen on the LG burner too. Good price and reliable burner.
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Trustee

How much do the sont and Pioneer model cost?Are them external?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm looking at the BDR-205 because it writes faster then the rest, but my question is about a SATA connection.

My Mac Pro Dual Core was purchased in 2006. Does it have a SATA connection inside? I can't see one. Now I want an internal drive so what SATA part do I need to buy so I can hook up this burner in my Mac?

Would I need to buy or upgrade anything else to get this working?

I do have the latest Toast with the Blu-Ray plugin as well as I'm exporting with Final Cut Pro
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM   #12
New Boot

I bought a Pioneer 12x BDR-205 Blu-ray burner. I haven't used it a lot, but so far it has been very good. I buy my blank blu rays from SourceRite | Featured Products / Hot Deals (in Canada) and I have been very happy with them in terms of price and quick shipping. ~$5 for a printable blank 25 gb blu ray and blu ray case.
Gordon George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions