Media Management Software - Any Recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 14th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Media Management Software - Any Recommendations?

I have been using Adobe Elements Organizer to keep track of my Media files but with over 15,000 images and the increasing number of audio and video files, the software has become slow and unstable. I started looking at Adobe Lightroom, but I would like to know what others are using for photo/video/audio management (catalog) software.
John Rappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM   #2
New Boot

Adobe Bridge?
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
New Boot

Adobe Bridge

Yes, I have been using Adobe Bridge (not Lightroom, like I mentioned in earlier post). I was looking for a standalone solution. Thanks.
John Rappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #4
Major Player

CAT DV is pretty regularly recommended for Video, not sure about how useful it is for all other media but I know it supports it.
Old June 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Major Player

I recommend J.River Media Center. It's actually consumer software for home media collections, but is so powerful I've been using it exclusively for years to organize my video and photos for work too. You can create and switch between multiple libraries, so it's possible to separate out between personal and work files.

With it you can create custom views. Unlike itunes which just has "Genre/Album/Artist", in J.River Media Center you can create any field (ie. "Project" "Subject" "Country" "City" etc.) and then have a pane for each field. You can even have more than just the 3 panes that itunes has.

The other amazing thing that beats all the other competition in my book, is that you can create more than one view. So you can create a view called "source" and have it just show files which you've tagged as source footage, and another view called "Archives" which contains all your exported masters.

Finally, it's a great music player to have while you're working.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #6
New Boot

J.River Media Center

Thanks Brian, Given your success, with J.River Media Center, I'm downloading and given it a try.
I have more questions, but I should give it a try first...
Craig, I also reviewed CAT DV and I can see where this would be the tool of choice for large projects. Looking forward to the day, I can't live without it !!!
John Rappa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions