DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Mark Kubat and his fx1/24p work: whatever happened there? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/54290-mark-kubat-his-fx1-24p-work-whatever-happened-there.html)

Kyle Cutshaw November 13th, 2005 03:39 AM

Mark Kubat and his fx1/24p work: whatever happened there?

There was a post in January by a man named Mark Kubat. This is what he claimed:

"Hi folks.

Know this post/thread will eventually be moved to the editing section but I wanted to share the good news with you all so I thought I'd post here where a lot of you would see it:

we've done extensive testing this past week at our t.v. station with Edius 3.1 working with a rented FX1 (NTSC)...

The big news so far is we've found a really good way to get a true 24p type look as demonstrated by the DVX100/A... our method below beats CF24/CF30 hands down.

We captured native 1080/60i m2t's into Edius and edited our project. To make a final render, you have to use procoder express 2.0 for edius 3 which has a number of export options for HDV...

We selected to render out as 720/25p PAL.

Next, we imported this rendered m2t into Sony Vegas 5.0b to use Mainconcept mpeg2 (we could have stayed in procoder/Canopus but a lot of people here swear by vegas mpeg2 capability and it's been adopted by many here - we're more familiar w"ith it, using custom 2-pass templates etc.) - we rendered out as 29.97p (progressive) mpeg 2, 2-pass, high bit-rate avg. 7.5...

Wow, the end result is truly amazing - very film like.

Okay, okay - I know people are going to ask - why 29.97p? why not 2:3 pulldown? what about audio?

This was just our first test going this route with edius out to 25p to see if it made a difference - sure enough, it does. The resulting 29.97p mpeg2 we created looks very clean - I don't know how canopus procoder takes 1080/60i and converts it to 720/25p PAL (ie. what algorithm, etc.) but the bottom line is yes, you can really really get nice 24p type effect from your 1080/60i footage going this route...

interlacing artifacts we saw in original mpeg2 derived directly from 1080/60i like "dancing" power lines and a lot of the motion artifacts typically acredited to HDV2 now seem to be gone - it's a very clean, progressive image - really, imagine that the FX1 has 24p type image and that's what our end result looks like! No cf24-type drop frame stutter crap! No cheap frame blending resulting in motion artifacts - this looks really good! In going to final mpeg 2 SD DVD, the detail is much higher/sharper and much less noise in low-light, higher gain settings... it is UNREAL how well the FX1 produces a CLEAN image in low-light...

We'll continue to experiment but right now just want to say this bodes well for us who want to do projects with the FX1 that look "filmic" - it is a better result than originally tried by those trying to use Vegas 2:3 pulldown with cf24 to get useable result...

The switchability of the Z1 is definitely going to be helpful... Hooray, hooray - the FX1 can definitely be used for indie filmmaking type projects!"

He was supposed to send some clips to Chris Hurd, but the thread magically dissapeared lol. I was wondering what ever happened?