Mark Kubat and his fx1/24p work: whatever happened there? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 13th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #1
New Boot

Mark Kubat and his fx1/24p work: whatever happened there?

There was a post in January by a man named Mark Kubat. This is what he claimed:

"Hi folks.

Know this post/thread will eventually be moved to the editing section but I wanted to share the good news with you all so I thought I'd post here where a lot of you would see it:

we've done extensive testing this past week at our t.v. station with Edius 3.1 working with a rented FX1 (NTSC)...

The big news so far is we've found a really good way to get a true 24p type look as demonstrated by the DVX100/A... our method below beats CF24/CF30 hands down.

We captured native 1080/60i m2t's into Edius and edited our project. To make a final render, you have to use procoder express 2.0 for edius 3 which has a number of export options for HDV...

We selected to render out as 720/25p PAL.

Next, we imported this rendered m2t into Sony Vegas 5.0b to use Mainconcept mpeg2 (we could have stayed in procoder/Canopus but a lot of people here swear by vegas mpeg2 capability and it's been adopted by many here - we're more familiar w"ith it, using custom 2-pass templates etc.) - we rendered out as 29.97p (progressive) mpeg 2, 2-pass, high bit-rate avg. 7.5...

Wow, the end result is truly amazing - very film like.

Okay, okay - I know people are going to ask - why 29.97p? why not 2:3 pulldown? what about audio?

This was just our first test going this route with edius out to 25p to see if it made a difference - sure enough, it does. The resulting 29.97p mpeg2 we created looks very clean - I don't know how canopus procoder takes 1080/60i and converts it to 720/25p PAL (ie. what algorithm, etc.) but the bottom line is yes, you can really really get nice 24p type effect from your 1080/60i footage going this route...

interlacing artifacts we saw in original mpeg2 derived directly from 1080/60i like "dancing" power lines and a lot of the motion artifacts typically acredited to HDV2 now seem to be gone - it's a very clean, progressive image - really, imagine that the FX1 has 24p type image and that's what our end result looks like! No cf24-type drop frame stutter crap! No cheap frame blending resulting in motion artifacts - this looks really good! In going to final mpeg 2 SD DVD, the detail is much higher/sharper and much less noise in low-light, higher gain settings... it is UNREAL how well the FX1 produces a CLEAN image in low-light...

We'll continue to experiment but right now just want to say this bodes well for us who want to do projects with the FX1 that look "filmic" - it is a better result than originally tried by those trying to use Vegas 2:3 pulldown with cf24 to get useable result...

The switchability of the Z1 is definitely going to be helpful... Hooray, hooray - the FX1 can definitely be used for indie filmmaking type projects!"

He was supposed to send some clips to Chris Hurd, but the thread magically dissapeared lol. I was wondering what ever happened?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions