DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   G-Technology G-Raid 500 500 GB Hardd Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/56271-g-technology-g-raid-500-500-gb-hardd-drive.html)

Brian Duke December 18th, 2005 05:51 AM

G-Technology G-Raid 500 500 GB Hardd Drive

Hey I am thinking about buying a G-Technology G-Raid 500 500 GB Hard Drive to edit HDV from my JVC HD100U on Final Cut Pro 5/G5 2.5 DP. Anyone can comfort me in being the right choice or is there a better way to go to edit HD?

Thanks

Keith Wakeham December 18th, 2005 08:59 AM

Should be fine. Its a firewire drive so little processor overhead, and it is raid and firewire 800 capable so if its in your price range then it should do well.

Brian Duke December 18th, 2005 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Wakeham
Should be fine. Its a firewire drive so little processor overhead, and it is raid and firewire 800 capable so if its in your price range then it should do well.

thanks.
Are there better suggestions?

Keith Wakeham December 18th, 2005 01:45 PM

Using a sata card and an external sata drive setup would be faster, but might end up being more expensive. You would need a sata raid card that had eSata connectors and an external sata box. It is a more costly setup but could be expanded to handle things like uncompressed HD.

If you don't plan on doing that and so long as you keep to firewire drives over usb 2.0 you should be fine. (USB might be DMA but the usb controller isn't, this is what makes firewire drives better than usb for editing, Firewire is entirely DMA.)

Konrad Haskins December 18th, 2005 03:07 PM

If you build your own you will probably get more capacity GB/$ and you can choose your HDD vendor. I like Seagate for a stellar track record and 5yr warranty.

Brian Duke December 18th, 2005 03:40 PM

Thanks Keith, but Im am sort of a putz when it comes to computer set ups. Is there a way you can give me specific model numbers of drives and cards so i know extactly what i should get as ideal set up. Don't wanna go over $2000 yet, but I can certainly spend more than $500.

Fred Foronda December 26th, 2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konrad Haskins
I like Seagate for a stellar track record and 5yr warranty.

I was thinking of G-tech also but Seagate 5 yr looks good as far as being durable. Do you know what kind of firewire Seagate has?? Is it the 400 or the 800 firewire.

Thanks

Kevin Wild December 26th, 2005 06:36 PM

LOVE my Gtech 500 Gig drive. The positive about FireWire drives is you don't need a card on another computer, if you ever need to switch it.

My drive has been great after a year and it does look cool, too.

KW

Brian Duke December 26th, 2005 08:08 PM

JUST got mine today. Will see how it works. Will let everyone know the outcome..