G-Technology G-Raid 500 500 GB Hardd Drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 18th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #1
Major Player

G-Technology G-Raid 500 500 GB Hardd Drive

Hey I am thinking about buying a G-Technology G-Raid 500 500 GB Hard Drive to edit HDV from my JVC HD100U on Final Cut Pro 5/G5 2.5 DP. Anyone can comfort me in being the right choice or is there a better way to go to edit HD?

Thanks
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Should be fine. Its a firewire drive so little processor overhead, and it is raid and firewire 800 capable so if its in your price range then it should do well.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wakeham
Should be fine. Its a firewire drive so little processor overhead, and it is raid and firewire 800 capable so if its in your price range then it should do well.
thanks.
Are there better suggestions?
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Using a sata card and an external sata drive setup would be faster, but might end up being more expensive. You would need a sata raid card that had eSata connectors and an external sata box. It is a more costly setup but could be expanded to handle things like uncompressed HD.

If you don't plan on doing that and so long as you keep to firewire drives over usb 2.0 you should be fine. (USB might be DMA but the usb controller isn't, this is what makes firewire drives better than usb for editing, Firewire is entirely DMA.)
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you build your own you will probably get more capacity GB/$ and you can choose your HDD vendor. I like Seagate for a stellar track record and 5yr warranty.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Keith, but Im am sort of a putz when it comes to computer set ups. Is there a way you can give me specific model numbers of drives and cards so i know extactly what i should get as ideal set up. Don't wanna go over $2000 yet, but I can certainly spend more than $500.
Old December 26th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad Haskins
I like Seagate for a stellar track record and 5yr warranty.
I was thinking of G-tech also but Seagate 5 yr looks good as far as being durable. Do you know what kind of firewire Seagate has?? Is it the 400 or the 800 firewire.

Thanks
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #8
Major Player

LOVE my Gtech 500 Gig drive. The positive about FireWire drives is you don't need a card on another computer, if you ever need to switch it.

My drive has been great after a year and it does look cool, too.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #9
Major Player

JUST got mine today. Will see how it works. Will let everyone know the outcome..
Brian Duke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions