What Do You Drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What Do You Drive?

Ok, so this is a bit different.

I live in the very hot Arizona desert, and my AC just went out. Yuck! Luckily it's cooler here now so I have some time to get a replacement car.

I'm in the process of car shopping and I'm trying to figure what I should get. Being a full time Commercial Video guy, and a part time Independent Filmmaker, I'm trying to figure out what vehicle would best fit my needs for equipment and all that jazz.

So, I'm just curious what everybody else is uses to haul their gear, and why they use what they use.

I think it's pretty relevant to being productive in our industry.

Looking forward to all your responses!
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

2007 VW Rabbit (aka Golf). This is my third one now. They have a surprising amount of cargo space inside when you fold down the seats - I haul lots of stuff around in mine. The new models were completely redesigned last year and actually have a few inches more room than the old ones.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

I feel fortunate to have two rigs I can use: one is an older Tahoe, which easily carries everything I own (including my little 6’ crane and 8’ lengths of PVC pipe for a track dolly). In warm weather when I don’t need everything I put the top down on my Mustang GT and can toss in a surprising amount of gear. For Arizona heat that’s the last thing you’d want, but it helps me put a little fun into schlepping gear. That's my least favorite aspect of video.

Good luck in your search for something "cool!" :)
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Trustee

I drive a '97 Town and Country minivan. I got it as a free hand-me-down from the in-laws, and when we got it last year, it was still in perfect shape (they hardly ever drove it), but after a year in my hands its been pretty beat up. But I use it for all my work transport, becuase it is exceptionally comfortable (when they bought it they went all-out for the extras) to drive, has plenty of room for all my gear including several cases of lights and several lengths of dolly track that didn't fit in my older car. All of the passenger seats are easily removable if I have to pack more or less gear for whatever is needed for a given shoot.

It also has an alarm and heavily tinted windows, so I feel pretty safe leaving my gear in it if I have to be away from it for a few moments while it is loaded up. (Driving around in the San Francisco metro area, I sometimes have to leave it on the street for a minute or two so I can run into an office to get my access approval for a shooting location, so having folks walking by not being able to see the gear inside the van helps me feel a little better about this, especially since it passes as a regular suburbanite transport instead of some type of industrial media truck.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
I feel fortunate to have two rigs I can use: one is an older Tahoe, which easily carries everything I own (including my little 6’ crane and 8’ lengths of PVC pipe for a track dolly). In warm weather when I don’t need everything I put the top down on my Mustang GT and can toss in a surprising amount of gear. For Arizona heat that’s the last thing you’d want, but it helps me put a little fun into schlepping gear. That's my least favorite aspect of video.

Good luck in your search for something "cool!" :)
I've been in that Mustang. Its a sweet ride.

-Jon
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM   #6
Wrangler

Yeah, that was so fun! Next time you come up here, Jon, we’ll put you behind the wheel and take ‘er up the mountain.

Reading your other post I was struck by the different needs for different areas. I don’t have to worry nearly as much about someone stealing my stuff!
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #7
Trustee

Toyota Corolla hatchback. Very Reliable car!

Stelios
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy D. Allen View Post
Ok, so this is a bit different.

I live in the very hot Arizona desert, and my AC just went out. Yuck! Luckily it's cooler here now so I have some time to get a replacement car.

I'm in the process of car shopping and I'm trying to figure what I should get. Being a full time Commercial Video guy, and a part time Independent Filmmaker, I'm trying to figure out what vehicle would best fit my needs for equipment and all that jazz.

So, I'm just curious what everybody else is uses to haul their gear, and why they use what they use.

I think it's pretty relevant to being productive in our industry.

Looking forward to all your responses!
Have a 2000 Isuzu Trooper. Very spacisous and rugged, has been on a number of jeep trails up in the canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado, up over Tincup Pass, without any problems. Lousy gas mileage though :(
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Major Player

I got 3 to choose from

Mazda MX6
Landrover Discovery
Isuzu Trooper
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Honda element, I got this thing for my video business. It is very flexible gets good gas milage and comes in all wheel drive. You can make the seats into a full bed or fold them up to hall big stuff or take them out all together.

I used it to shoot a documentary in New Orleans after Katrina. I pulled a small trailer with all my tools and sleep in the element. There was no gas so you had to bring your own, good gas milage was a must.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Jeep Grand Cherokee here, big old 5.2 V8, all wheel all the time and all the power I need (or don't need).

For family trips it's my wife's Tahoe - plenty of space.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Major Player

Jeep Grand Cherokee as well. V6, horrible gas millage but it hauls everything with no problems, 140k strong.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #13
Major Player

A Toyota Supra....youd be surprised how much i can fit in it. i also have access to a mitsubishi pajero.

Andy.
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #14
Trustee

Mitsubishi Outlander, 4 door "crossover" (small) SUV. Hatchback type rear door, folddown seats, "privacy" screen to hide what you have in the back without the rear seats folded down.

Ford Ranger extended cab pickup with lockable "Foldacover" bed cover. Excellent for carrying lots of gear.

But beware, many bedcovers are not waterproof.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Best Small filmcrew vehicle - Honda Element

With TINTED windows.. I park this thing even in sketchy NYC neighborhoods with 50K of video equipment in back.. no one can see it.. and it is the most beautiful minimalist design you could hope for. I bought mine about 1 year ago and have been shooting a documentary all over the east coast (Me, NH, MA, RI, CN, NJ, NY, WA, MD).. in some really unsafe neighborhoods..

I can't think of anything that would draw less attention, be less likely to be stolen, and easily carry hundreds of pounds of gear I have better.

I bought mine about 1 year ago off of Craigs List, cost $18K with less than 5K miles on it.. a new one at the time was 24K, and the dealers were selling used ones with 40K or so miles for about $22K.. so I LOVE Craigs list..

There are times when being UGLY is a real advantage...

Brian
Brian Findlay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home