Air Travel with EX1 and gear. Need help and advice! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old April 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Major Player

I used to fill out the customs card every time I traveled, but it was never asked for. I can see why they may want it coming from Canada, but I am always coming back from Europe or Asia. In fact one customs guy asked me why I was filling out the form because he didn't think that I needed it because I was carrying a broadcast camera (DSR-570) at the time.

I haven't been bothered about it for the past 4 years and I travel overseas about 6 times a year. I have found that the Canada/small boarder crossings tend to be more uptight about forms and the like.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:38 AM   #17
Trustee

MacVideo - Camera Technology - Features - Travellin' Light: 4 cameras, tripod, hard drives, MacBook Pro
Check this out! This guy lugs 4 cameras at one go!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM   #18
New Boot

Side Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heslip View Post
I don't know where the BP-U60/U30 batteries fall in this regard, but as of January '09 you can only carry-on two 100Wh-160Wh (max) Li-ion batteries (and the airline has the right to refuse them for any reason). Under no circumstances are Lithium ions allowed in checked baggage.
That's interesting. I've been traveling rather frequently for a documentary over the past few months and have been carrying 2 BP-U60's and 1 U30 at all times (carry-on) without any problem. And I've been given the full scrutiny by airports with 2-dimensional scanning systems (and numerous "how to place the camera and bag on the belt as to minimize confusion" talks, too). I'm going to assume the TSA is up-to-par with its standards, so the batteries must be okay to take with.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM   #19
Major Player

Those batteries don't even come close to having to much Lithium Ion.

I carry 3 of them all the time with my EX1, it is the big brick batteries that are the problem. Don't carry one over 90w hours and you will be fine.

Daniel Weber
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Interesting video. I use a lot of the same tricks!! I love the one about hiding the backpack with it slung over your shoulder. I get away with it because I am 6' 5" and 260 lbs. Easy for me to hide.

Also fly one airline as much as possible. You build up status and it REALLY helps when trying to get extra gear on a plane. It also lets you board early as well!!

The only problem I saw with the video is that in the States they make you take out your camera and put it through the x-ray machine in a separate bin. That would be a lot of gear to keep track of with 4 cameras!! I have had TSA guys keep things and "forget" to put them back in the case.

Daniel Weber
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #21
Tourist

I have also a question.

In about 2 weeks I must travel from Holland to Sardinië with a Sony PMW-EX1 and my 16 inch laptop.

Now I need a good bag for this trip.

I look at many site en at the end I get this as the best:

Lowepro Vertrex 300 AW.
Lowepro - Vertex 300 AW

Some one use this one or know a other good bag.

Thank you
Timon Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Nice tips but I have to say I differ in this view. The only thing I prefer to carry are personal items and a small 'tourist' camera. The hassle and lugging around of becoming a human luggage transport machine and the random airport security adventures that entails becomes inefficient and trying after a while.

Everything in pelicans and stormcases with padlocks (TSA), documented and insured. Take a snapshot of every case before its closed. If anything is missing or damaged the TSA will hear about it. Properly padded you can drop a pelican a good distance onto concrete with no damage. The military punishes them on a regular basis. I'd have to say in some ways gear is actually safer, checked in the pelicans than stuffing it into consumer luggage and carrying it on. It's a boost to the 'I'm clever' factor but accidents can happen anywhere so carrying it with you doesn't make it accident proof, nor theft proof.

Have a relationship with a rental house. If it gets lost overnight a rental kit and charge the client. Write off the loss or damage at the end of the year unless you want to call in the insurance, which can be the clients too.

I know there can easily be $20,000 worth of gear in a large camera case with one of these small format cameras but I can't really be concerned with how many people open the case. That's the backwards government security system we put up with. Part of doing my job is to enjoy doing it so... the burden for mistakes has to be put on the parties that make it, like airlines and airport security.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Hagen View Post
Now I need a good bag for this trip.
ThinkTank Airport Accelleration. Brilliant EX1/MacBook Pro 17" bag. Had one for over a year now, travelled around Europe and beyond with it, faultless, flexible, comfortable (as far as a 16Kg backpack can be considered comfortable), and ingeniously good at getting round restrictive carry-on rules.

ThinkTank bag on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and

Editing Al Fresco on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

These show a fairly light loading. I now carry 8 cards in boxes, two hard drives (LaCie Ruggeds), LitePanels Micro, 2 radio mics, COS-11 and CS-1, AKG230, HD25 cans, 3 batts and charger, Zoe zoom control, bits, bobs and cables. Even a spare Canon HV20 in case I have to lay off to tape or need a second camera.

Was recommended to me by somebody else here on the EX1 forum - virtual beer to him for pointing it out, sorry can't remember name. (blush)

But do work at a good hand-carry solution. Last week, I was working in Berlin - BA lost my tripod bag on the Monday, I didn't get it back until Friday - when the job was done and I was returning. I always hand-carry enough stuff to do the job, even if it means limping along. I know that checked cameras and edit machines do go missing, and renting locally is a bit hit and miss (as well as being gosh-darn inconvenient).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home