Air Travel with EX1 and gear. Need help and advice! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old March 29th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Air Travel with EX1 and gear. Need help and advice!

Hello everyone!

On April 6th, I will be travelling to Japan for a three-month trip. I will be taking my brand-new EX1 and gear. However, I'm having some trouble trying to decide how to bring this with me. Let me list the gear I have:

GEAR:
- EX1
- 2 SxS 8GB Cards
- BP-U30 Battery
- BP-U60 Battery
- Audio Technica Shotgun Mic
- Senheisser Lavelier Mics
- Letus Elite w/ Nikon mount
- Three Nikon Lenses (24mm, 50mm, 105mm)
- Red Rock Micro Follow Focus
- Cinevate Proteus Rail System
- Miller Tripod
- Misc. Camera-related Items

CASES:
- Kata CCC-1-A w/ Insertrolley
- Hardigg Storm Case iM2975

When I first bought this gear, I figured, "Oh, I'll just put everything into the Storm Case (which I have faith will protect my gear (no tripod)) and check it in." However, I just feel that even though the Storm Case can do an incredible job in protecting my gear, it won't do squat if security has to crack it open and look for the one thing that looks like a bomb.

I contemplated using the Kata CCC-1-A as a carry-on for all my gear, but I've read they are too big to fit into overhead compartments (even if they can fit into an international plane overhead, I still need to take two smaller "connecting flight" planes).

So I'm left in this conundrum:
Am I being paranoid in thinking that airport security is going to destroy all my gear to find the one thing that sets off the machine? If it is indeed wiser to bring some of my gear with me, what should it be (the most obvious in my opinion are the camera and letus). Do any of you have any tips for bringing all this stuff around?

Thanks so much!
Wing Poon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I would put the camera, cards, battery, mic (the core system) in a hand-carry that will fit into an overhead bin.

I would never check these things in because there's too much risk of pilferage. Keep in mind that it goes through at least a dozen hands, totally out of view, from the check-in-counter to baggage claim.

And it could get lost somewhere in-between or even disappear right at baggage claim.
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Do as Dean says. You should have not problems carrying the camera on any airplane with any airline. The airlines around the world are used to people bringing cameras onboard. I've traveled to Israel 3 times, as well as Europe, with no problems.

Can I suggest additional cards? You have slightly less than one hour's recording time. I always travel with six 16GB cards, and one 32GB card. I've needed them all on a number of occasions.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Major Player

And please remember....have you filled out a camera card from ICE (customs) yet? or do you have a carne?

Getting video gear out of the country is no problem, but getting it back in is another thing, as I have traveled a few times out of the country and when a trip comes up, I go out to the local ICE office here in Dallas (DFW Airport) and fill out a camera card and let a inspector look at my camera to record the serial number and to make copies of the paper work. JUST...
make sure that he stamps the main form and you keep the first copy.

If you don't do this...you could get stuck with "import duties or fees"....they want to make sure that the camera was purchased in the USA and the fees have already been paid.

HTH.....
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Major Player

yeah, definately bring the camera on board....some planes (although probably not the kind that fly to japan) dont have enough room for your camera in a bag, so you have to take it out. if thats the case you can ask to pre board so you can use the extra time to get your camera secured in the overhead above your seat. otherwise you probably get stuck putting it in some other bin where you cant see the careless guy with the 70 pound carry on jamming it against your gear...

have fun over there!
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I travel a lot and I have never had any problems with customs when I return. Of course, it only takes one overzelous agent to make trouble.

I have scanned my store receipts and keep a copy on my laptop, so if questioned I can show them I bought the item in the US (usually at B&H).
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Better than Halle Berry

Definitely- carry on. But of course you're going to Japan. Sooo if anything does go wrong you'll have an excuse to spend the insurance in Akihabara.
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Well, I went to Canada last year....and that little form saved my day...both in leaving the airport in Vancouver (Canadian customs looked it at and then said OK...) and when I got to the US customs gate...the first thing the agent said: " do you have a camera card form for all this gear..."

I asked him what if I didn't..and his words were : " you would have had a bad day"...
Now, when going out of the country I always get one before before the shoot. Also, I have 3 Pelican cases and they are the best to travel with. I always carry the camera as carry on...as the other guy says....many people down the line will handle it....

I have attached the customs form that I am talking about:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CustomsForm.pdf (355.4 KB, 480 views)
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't know where the BP-U60/U30 batteries fall in this regard, but as of January '09 you can only carry-on two 100Wh-160Wh (max) Li-ion batteries (and the airline has the right to refuse them for any reason). Under no circumstances are Lithium ions allowed in checked baggage.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #10
New Boot

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just had a little too much faith in humanity to assume that they wouldn't steal my stuff. So, it's unanimous: I should take the camera, batteries, media, and mic with me on the plane. Should I be worried about the lens and Letus Elite?

William,
Thanks for the tip about heading over to the ICE office to fill out the appropriate forms. I guess I should be looking for that in a few days. This is my first time traveling with such expensive equipment, so I'm not sure what other precautions I should take. I'm not sure where to find the ICE office in my area (New Orleans, Louisiana). Is there a form that I can download and print from a website?

Thanks everyone for your input! I guess I should have bought a smaller carrying case just for the bare essentials!
Wing Poon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Poon View Post
Hey Guys!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just had a little too much faith in humanity to assume that they wouldn't steal my stuff. So, it's unanimous: I should take the camera, batteries, media, and mic with me on the plane. Should I be worried about the lens and Letus Elite?

William,
Thanks for the tip about heading over to the ICE office to fill out the appropriate forms. I guess I should be looking for that in a few days. This is my first time traveling with such expensive equipment, so I'm not sure what other precautions I should take. I'm not sure where to find the ICE office in my area (New Orleans, Louisiana). Is there a form that I can download and print from a website?

Thanks everyone for your input! I guess I should have bought a smaller carrying case just for the bare essentials!
yes at my last post....better yet..on a single page of letterhead of your company..put down in this order across the page...

1. item
2. serial number
3.country (where it was made)
4. declared value

i will attach a copy of mine as a guide.
Attached Files
File Type: doc DVPS travel gear.doc (22.5 KB, 751 views)
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Major Player

here is the New Orleans office..I would call them before hand to get info on the forms.

Service Port - New Orleans (Includes Belle Chasse, Concession)
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from XDCAM EX to Home, Away From Home (our forum which specializes in issues relating to travel).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #14
Major Player

read through Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:33 AM   #15
Major Player

I check all equipment, excluding the laptop, hard drives and lithium batteries in Portabrace hard cases. Never had issues to date. The only issue you may have if the airlines have a "situation" and "no carry on is allowed". Will your camera be protected in the carry-on case if it has to go in baggage?

I always try to book direct flights if possible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home