Travelling to Taiwan with Z1P... at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
Travelling to Taiwan with Z1P...

I started reply to this thread, but just realised it probably wasn't an appropriate place to ask questions in regards to the Z1P.

Repeating what I said in the other thread: I'm heading over to Taiwan (from Australia) next month, and need to take my Sony Z1P away with me. I was thinking about purchasing a Petrol PWB-HDV Bag and taking the camera on-board with me. Has anyone had any experience with this particular product? According to my calculations Singapore Airlines should except it as on-board luggage. It seems pretty strong, and can hold all the gizmos that are required with the camera.

I don't think the Petrol bag looks too much like a camera bag, which is a bonus. Although it does look as if it would contain some expensive stuff which is a little scary. Petrol also make a backpack suitable for a Z1P, so that's also an option. Although there is less room in there to store microphones, tapes, batteries, etc. I guess the benefit is that its on your back, therefore always close to you...

Currently my camera is in a Storm M2700 case (and I've also got a Pelican 1510 tools case), but I don't really want to check in my camera, and I think a soft bag looks a little more discrete than a hard Pelican case.

Are there any items you can't bring on board in 2006? Microphones, batteries, tapes, cables, rechargers, etc.?

I've never been to Taiwan either - anything I should know?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 11,543
Hey Chris. Actually I think the Z1 forum is the best place for this, so I've moved you there. Have you seen the following thread yet? Lots of discussion on different bags/cases: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573

My only worry with a soft bag is... what if (for whatever reason) you get to the airport and they won't let you carry it on? You will be faced with the choice of either not going to else checking the camera. I got the bag described in that thread because it has a rigid plastic inner shell, just in case this were to ever happen. It could survive with the luggage, although I wouldn't be happy about the camera getting bounced around there.

Regardless of what you get, think about how you would deal with a scenario like this...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Hey Chris. Actually I think the Z1 forum is the best place for this, so I've moved you there. Have you seen the following thread yet? Lots of discussion on different bags/cases: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573

My only worry with a soft bag is... what if (for whatever reason) you get to the airport and they won't let you carry it on? You will be faced with the choice of either not going to else checking the camera. I got the bag described in that thread because it has a rigid plastic inner shell, just in case this were to ever happen. It could survive with the luggage, although I wouldn't be happy about the camera getting bounced around there.

Regardless of what you get, think about how you would deal with a scenario like this...
Thats great advice-- I never thought about that!
Maybe he'd be able to check it 'plane-side' in this scenario?

Like I said before- I put my lens in its own padded/semi-stiff case inside my backpack, so at least I had SOME protection...
__________________
www.j-geissler.com
Baltimore, MD 21085
Jeff Geissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:13 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
Thanks Boyd!

Here is another related thread, for anyone who's interested.

I'd still really love some input on the Petrol PWB-HDV Bag and the Petrol backpack, if anyone has or has used one...
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kumamoto City, Japan
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking

I've never been to Taiwan either - anything I should know?
I have only landed 4 times at Taipei (picking up and dropping passengers on the way to/from HonkKong)
I never actually went through Immigration...only visited the Departures lounge.
Before we left the plane for the 1 hour stop we were informed
1. Taiwan has the death penalty for drug users... or maybe it was dealers...or both.
Hopefully that will not apply to you... but the other announcement was more general.
2. If you are running a fever when you are going through passport control you can be refused entry to Taiwan...because of restrictions to keep out "bird-flu"
I don't know if this still applies, but I think you should check it out.
__________________
I was produced in Scotland, edited in Sweden, and am now showing in Japan.
http://www.gaijin-eyes.com
Douglas R. Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
Thanks Boyd!

Here is another related thread, for anyone who's interested.

I'd still really love some input on the Petrol PWB-HDV Bag and the Petrol backpack, if anyone has or has used one...
I did a review of the Petrol bag a while back. I thought it was here on DVInfo.net as well, but I can't find it.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
Thanks for the link Douglas! Great article!

The Petrol PCPR-1 (the one you reviewed), does look quite good. But what about the PWB-HDV? I'm still undecided which will be the better option.

Anyone have the PWB-HDV?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
I ended up purchasing a Petrol PWB-HDV Bag.

It's one fantastic bag!

I took off the HDV and SONY logos to make it look a little less expensive looking.

It's small enough to bring on a plan as hand luggage (Singapore Airlines).

Big enough to hold everything you need (microphones, batteries, tapes, wireless gear, digital still camera, cables, chargers, etc., etc.).

The handle is very comfortable as is the strap.

No complaints!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking View Post
I ended up purchasing a Petrol PWB-HDV Bag.

It's one fantastic bag!

I took off the HDV and SONY logos to make it look a little less expensive looking.

It's small enough to bring on a plan as hand luggage (Singapore Airlines).

Big enough to hold everything you need (microphones, batteries, tapes, wireless gear, digital still camera, cables, chargers, etc., etc.).

The handle is very comfortable as is the strap.

No complaints!
how was the trip!?
__________________
www.j-geissler.com
Baltimore, MD 21085
Jeff Geissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
Really good thanks Jeff!

It was all work - and very little play - but the show I went over for went exceptionally well, and I also managed to get a lot of really great footage.

Had no problems with the camera, or the bag.

Thanks for asking!

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network