JVC LS-300 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:19 AM   #1
Major Player

JVC LS-300 footage

If you wish to share any footage acquired with JVC LS-300 please post it below.
Old March 1st, 2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Major Player

JVC LS-300 footage

I'll start off with an event video. I used my LS300 for the judging panel footage (Sigma 24-70 f2.8) and handheld at the ceremony (Panasonic 12-35 & 35-100 f2.8)

The other cameras at the ceremony were an EX1 and an a7s.

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: JVC LS-300 footage

Here's a Pharma corporate example.

The first interview (Edmundo) was filmed by the client in the US, but majority of it was filmed in the UK on the LS300, with an a7s as second camera on the interviews.

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Looks very nice Duncan, in your certara video, am I guessing right that the bit wider shots are ls300 and more closeup a7s? Is it difficult to match both camera's?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have posted this one already in another category but will add it here as well as weddingvideo example
some technobabble: Everything up to 03:32 is shot with a 12-35mm f2.8 panasonic lens, after that a 15mm f1.7 was used and a 42,5mm f1.7, both from panasonic as well. Everything was shot in HD because I wanted to be able to zoom with my prime lenses.

Old March 1st, 2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Noa. That is great work.

I loved the dancing Granny, and the boy being hugged by his 'uncle' outside the church.

You seem to have been completely unobtrusive and caught some wonderful moments that no doubt the bride and groom would have otherwise missed. I used to make a few wedding videos and aimed for exactly this style. Surprisingly I found it took ages to edit as it's not all about endless fluffy shots of dresses and shoes, cut to a pop track. It takes ages to get a solid balance to atmos, detail and sync.

It might be considered a documentary style piece rather than the typical DSLR wedding video. Those guys would have missed so many of the best bits of the day, spending so long rebalancing their gimbal, and trying to remember which batteries fit what on their 20kg shoulder rig.
Old March 1st, 2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Looks very nice Duncan, in your certara video, am I guessing right that the bit wider shots are ls300 and more closeup a7s? Is it difficult to match both camera's?
Yes the Sony was the closeup side angle.
I didn't edit that video.

We have very little time to shot the B-Roll cutaways so we needed a second angle on the interviews to cover some of the sync edits.

Colour balancing to the a7s is always difficult.
Old March 1st, 2016, 02:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I thought I recognized the ls300 :) about the weddingvideo, almost everything is shot handheld, just a few shots in the church where on a tripod and I was going for a documentary style. I made a support attached to my vest so that I don't need to carry the weight of the ls300 in my hands, worked great for an entire day. Some minor issues aside I enjoyed working with the camera, love the image I get out of it.

Here is another one which was a personal project, I just had the camera for a few days and this was just a test to experiment with the autofocus and some other features.

Old March 7th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
Here's a Pharma corporate example.

The first interview (Edmundo) was filmed by the client in the US, but majority of it was filmed in the UK on the LS300, with an a7s as second camera on the interviews.
Looks good Duncan, be curious to know your Camera Process settings, I'm still trying to find a decent balanced setting on mine, for standard 709 stuff
Matt Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #10
Major Player

I was filmed using the out of the box setting, except for the blacks being set up to 0.
I think the default is a negative number.

This was pre histogram firmware, and filmed in a rush.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Here is another jvc gy ls300 video that I shot today in jlog. I actually only corrected shadows and highlights, nothing else, kinda like the look without any other adjustment. Shot and edited in 4k with vsm set to 86% (4k), used the 12-35mm Panasonic lens and a polarizer filter. With that said, where are those other ls300 videos? :)
edit: not sure why that is but I have buffer issues with the embedded video on this site but not when I look at the video on the vimeo page.

Old April 4th, 2016, 12:51 PM   #12
Major Player

Love this video, Noa - great work! I really like the look, and especially the "perspective" in some of the shots. Plus the way the shots are framed, such as under a bridge, and it looks like through a bridge railing. The sound is very well done also.

Unfortunately, all I have to offer so far (in 2 weeks of mostly miserable New England weather since I purchased the camera) is a static shot of a machine process in a bottle making facility for a client - not very exciting. Hopefully I will get a chance to use the LS300 for something a bit more creative soon.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 04:43 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Ive only had it for a week or two, on loan from JVC.
So Ive mostly done tests.

This one is the first time I try it out.
Didnt have the Metabones adapter so my EF lenses where locked wide open and no stabilization.
But if you ask me its totally usable up to roughly 50mm without IS (I dont mind handheld looking handheld).

Unfortunately I was lazy and brought my light tripod when the wind really picked up. So lots of vibrations.

Next one was a quick run with the Metabones to test IS and AF with EF lenses.
A pretty much never use AF but was curious. It was much better than I expected but still not my thing, I will stick to manual. But the IS was sweet.
The 35mm f2.0 was very noisy, the 24-105mm was pretty quiet.

So far I like it very much, we are debating getting it at work and Ive already ordered one for myself to have at home and for freelance.
Mattias Burling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nogueira View Post
The sound is very well done also.
Sound was 90% from a SFX.Sony sound dvd :) so almost nothing you hear is recorded on location, only the passing bike at 02:15 was added from the internal mic, I didn't add the shotgun for this shoot as I did not plan on using much of the recorded sound anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling
the 24-105mm was pretty quiet.
Not sure if this lens covers the entire sensor, if so then it's has some very usable focal lengths. I only find f4.0 too slow, especially on this camera as it's not so clean at higher iso's so you need faster glass, that's why f2.8 is the slowest lens I would use on it.
Old April 5th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yes the 24-105 covers the sensor, its designed for full frame.
Imo f2.8 is only for lowlight and sdof. The aperture I use most of the time is around f4-5.6.
The only issue I have with the lens is its weight. Im not so confident in the strength of the mount.

Besides, when I need a big aperture I have f0.95 lenses that cover the sensor :)
Mattias Burling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders