Firmware 3.02 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old January 12th, 2017, 04:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firmware 3.02

It's here!

JVC GY-LS300 Firmware v3.02
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Firmware 3.02

JVC Video Cloud sounds interesting. I've signed up to see what it can do...
Old January 12th, 2017, 07:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's great to see JVC still adding features. Whilst most of them are directed towards livestreaming, it's still a good thing.

BTW, when was the LS300 officially released?
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Major Player

I believe it was first seen at IBC 2014, and released early 2015.

I bought mine in August that year after holding out for a while. I watched the Heist promo video and thought it looked completely crap, especially considering that it was shot in a controlled environment. Once some better examples surfaced it appeared to make sense for me to buy it.
Old January 12th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Duncan. and I agree with you, Heist 1 & 2 are a joke!
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Ehy are they a joke. i thought it was good photography?

By the way. Has anybody tries the fw?
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the firmware installed.
Not much to report, I did a test YouTube Live stream and it works OK.

Regarding Heist, it looked really cheesy, over lit and poorly acted. It could have been shot on any camera and did nothing to promote the LS300 at all.

What JVC really needed was a proper promotion that really explained why this camera was so good 2 years ago when it was announced! It already had 95% of what is has now.

My recent factory shoot has just been uploaded in 1080 and it's looks OK, even though YouTube has mashed it up a bit:
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #8
Major Player

I was hoping to find EXTERNAL 4k 60p as I heard in a german video from Japan last week.
Notjing like that here
Old January 12th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Major Player

No 4K60p yet no.

Marcello, have you bought the camera yet?

I'm not working in 4K much myself, except for my timelapse DSLR cameras. In case you didn't know, when using the LS300 in 4k/UHD you have very little VSM zoom capability. If you have control over a shoot and can spent time moving the camera around then VSM isn't much help, but for a lot of what I do, being able to zoom in digitally while maintaining the picture quality is fantastic.
Old January 12th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #10
Major Player

No .. not yet... selling some gear to get cash.. don't want to end up as
a camera collector.

You heard too about extarnal 4k 60p yes? I am not crazy no?

I went to see and do some quick testa on the camera at the shop yesterday.
Everything as I expected alltjough I couldn't do intensive picture tests

I understand about the electronic zoom but I eipl be using that only in run n shoot mode, eng, interviews to be shot in hd
i need 4 k for corporate jobs.

i am buyingbthis camera to have ONE object to do two worlda... hope I am right
Old January 12th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I recall that I saw a German reporter talk about the JVC but he didn't mention anything about 4K60p, you probably misunderstood?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #12
Major Player

We had this discussion already:

JVC GY-LS300CH 4K60p Support - Report von der InterBEE 2016

A paid firmware upgrade IIRC? Edit: Google Translate suggests it's free. Who knows:

From the YouTube description... 'Michael Lehmann-Horn has discovered a GY-LS300CH at the InterBE 2016 in Tokyo at the JVC booth, which can also process 4k60p. Although it can not record the signal itself, but with an external recorder such as the Shogun Inferno the 4k50p or 4k60p recording thanks to a new firmware is possible in the future. The Firmwareupdate 2017 will appear free of charge.'
Old January 12th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #13
Inner Circle

It appears I recalled wrong, in this video he clearly says 4K50p is possible.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #14
Major Player

Great! So I was right.

My main concern now is only ONE.... What is the OUTPUT (HDMI) quality lie. I have found no tests.

This is the road that brought me to think of buying the LS300....

I own a Blackmagic BMPC 4K that I almost never use in RAW. I use in ProRes422 HQ at 400 ISO and I am supposed to have 12 stops of dynamic range. I like the ProRes file and find I can do many things with it in post and I find myself almost never doing WB anymore.
The downpart is that the camera is very dark (can't push it to 800 ISO without noise) and has no in-camera audio. When I have run'n'gun situations this camera is not ideal

What I thought is this...

Hey! The LS300 sensor is Super 35 like the BMPC and it's 4,6K and everybody says it's a good sensor and very sharp! At 400 ISO JVC claims 12 stop of dynamic range (like mine!) but can go up to 1600 with almost no noise artifacts! And there is in-camera audio, ENG ergonomics (almost), etc etc...

So.. <b>if I buy an atomos/blackmagic external 4K recorder I can record the HDMI output at 422 Prores and get EXACTLY what I am getting with my BMPC, maybe even better! </b>And I'll get tons of new features like wifi, variable zoom, MFT mount, variable cropping, etc...

The problem is that <b> I don't find any info on the HDMI OUTPUT SIGNAL.</b>
Is it 422? Or maybe even 444? (420 is NOT HDMI compliant)
Let's say it is 422 (probable).. <b>is it coming DIRECTLY FROM THE SENSOR or is it an UP-SAMPLED VERSION of the 420 signal that is being recorded?</b>

If it's coming directly from the sensor... BINGO... clean HDMI 422 signal identical to the BMPC one but from a bigger sensor, audio in camera, etc...Maybe (2017 firmware) one day I'll even get 4k 50/60p !!!

But if t's just an upscaled version of the 420 recorded in camera then BOOOOO...! Don't need that!

You see my point here?
And nowhere I can find these infos...

:(
Old January 13th, 2017, 05:18 AM   #15
Major Player

I doubt that you will see much difference between internal and external recordings. Unless you have loads of fine moving detail or you are doing heavy corrections in 4K where the internal recording is 420 and might not be enough colour detail.

But I think that the noise in the recordings should be of more concern to you than the bit/sampling rates.
It's not a great lowlight camera.

The LS300 is (probably) 8bit 422 via HDMI and SDI.
SDI is 10 bit, but 2 bits are unused.

Once this 4k60 update comes along perhaps we'll know more about what the sensor and internal processing is capable of. It would be great if Wayne from JVC would chime in as the LS300 has been getting a lot more interest lately, but JVC are a bit... Dunno... Quirky?

If your clients insist on 444 then you will also need 10bit or possibly 12. But I'll speculate that like the majority of us your clients have no interest in what camera you use. So it's down to you to decide if you can live with the potential shortcomings. Specs won't tell the whole story.

In theory a BM camera with RAW and ProRes, a fancy sensor and a clever eyepiece should be perfect for everyone, but I wouldn't buy any camera currently made by BM. I've used their stuff - yuk.

The LS300 has very similar formats to the FS5 (actually a little better) but I doubt it can compete in low light. Of course an a6500 seems to beat an FS5 hands down in terms of image quality but that's another story.

It'd be great if JVC could include internal 100Mbps, maybe 150Mbps HD 422 but 50Mbps is still decent quality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders