Recommended lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old April 19th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommended lenses

Just wondering about zoom lenses. Which par focal, image stabilised lenses people would suggest.
Again thank you for any help.
George Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Recommended lenses

Start with the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100.
They are not strictly par focal but very close.
The focussing rings on both work in the same direction as my favourite lens - the Sigma 24-70 2.8.

I spent less than £1000 for the pair.

While we are on the subject of lenses, I'm considering a 4-6 lens set of VDSLR f1.5 Samyang/Rokinon Primes to replace my hodge podge of Nikon mount glass. I wanted to ask anyone with any experience of them what they thought.

I guess I should get them in MFT mount to give a more solid connection to the camera without the need for an adaptor, even though they'd have a better resale value in a different mount. I know the Rokinons have been bundled with the LS300 in the past, but I wanted to check that all of them cover the LS300 S35 sensor OK, even being in an MFT mount.

It seems that all the f1.5 lenses are full frame compatible and could be combined with a Speedbooster?

Thanks.
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Not that much choice but I would add the 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 power o.i.s. to the list as well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree about the 14-140mm f3.5-5.6.

I have 12-35 as well. This is a good combination, unless you shoot strictly in low-light situations. In that case, the 35-100 may be a better choice. But I prefer the 14-140 range, and it costs less than the 35-100. Usually when I am shooting in low-light, it's with the 12-35 anyway.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Major Player

I often use the Olympus 12-40. It's very sharp, matches my Rokinon primes, and has a slightly longer reach than the Lumix - and you can slide the focus ring out to make it manual, which is more positive feeling (although footage readout in finder goes away, but that'e never accurate anyway). No OIS on it though.

As I've stated here on numerous threads, no lens I've tested - and it's a lot - is parfocal with this camera, even converted S16 lenses, which truly are designed as parfocal, slip focus when zooming. I've tried Angenieux, Canon and Cooke.

It's very frustrating because they all work well on the diminutive Pocket and Micro Cinema Cameras.

The hope of finding one is further diminished by the desire for OIS - ain't gonna happen.

I have 1:1 set on the most convenient button on my EVFs (Gratical X and Z-Finder) and prepare to refocus whenever I zoom - because, especially with the Olympus, it can look in focus in the finder, even with peaking, but when you get home you're in for a shock.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the info Steve. It would be good to have a chat one day. I can't believe that there isn't a parfocal lens that would fit this camera. But that's life. If I get the camera I will have to try an HD broadcast lens. Anyway thanks to everyone's input. I'll make a decision this week. More than likely will go for the jvc.
George😎
Old April 26th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Steve I was wondering if your rokinons are mft or ef mounts????
Old April 27th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #8
Major Player

George: I got the MFT mounts... since I also have two Pocket Cameras.

However, I may regret the choice if I decide on something like an Ursa Mini later on (probably not).. but generally I try to avoid adapters when possible.

BTW - The Rokinons are surprisingly good.. I got the 24,35,85 set on sale, added a 12 and filled in the holes with a cinematized (gears and de-clicked) 50 Summicron-R and a 135 Summarit-R I already had. They match well and hold up to Zeiss primes I've used recently - especially between T2 and T4-5.6.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

G'day folks just saw a video on youtube of a guy testing the LS300 with a panasonic 14-140 lens and it looks like it maybe a parfocal lens. They put the lens on just passed half way through the video and are shooting a chart and it looks as though it is holding its focus. You might want to check it out.
George
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ferrell View Post
G'day folks just saw a video on youtube of a guy testing the LS300 with a panasonic 14-140 lens and it looks like it maybe a parfocal lens.
There are no truly parfocal Panasonic or Olympus MFT lenses, they are all designed to rely on continuous auto-focus to keep them focused while zooming. This is why these lens' internal zoom and focus mechanisms intereact, as they can be optimized for compact size without concern for maintaining focus. In practice, many MFT cameras can indeed keep their zoom lenses actively in focus, so long as you don't twist the zoom ring quicker than they can respond.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I am on the verge of getting the LS300

I have no lenses, and would prefer getting an adapter and buying an EF lens, so that I can eventually use them with Canon DSLRs in the future

Any suggestion what to get?

Also is it possible for an EF lens to cover the whole 35mm sensor, or is this just a dream of mine?!!!

thanks
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
However, I may regret the choice if I decide on something like an Ursa Mini later on (probably not).. but generally I try to avoid adapters when possible.
I have a similar problem.... price difference between LS300 and Ursa Mini 4K is only $100
Why should I get the LS300?
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #13
Inner Circle

You might have a look at Philips review to get a better understanding about the pros and cons of the ursa mini which could help in making a decision.:
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:49 PM   #14
Regular Crew

thanks but the ursa 4.6K is definitely out of my budget. I was thinking about the 4K one as it's only a $100 more than then LS300.

I think JVC should slash down the price of the Ls300 to make my decision simpler!!!!!!
Old July 11th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I was under the impression that featurewise (sensor size aside) the 4k and 4.6k are basically the same camera's? From what I see in Philips review and I could be mistaken, the ursa is not exactly an easy camera for run and gun work while the jvc is, it doesn't have nd's, no viewfinder (which adds to the price), standard no external microphone, a record button that only can be pressed when the lcd screen is open, only max 1600 iso and batteries that look more expensive. It looks like you need to add the shoulderpad to use together with the optional viewfinder which adds to the price again so to have a production ready camera the pricegap increases. When you use it as a shoulder camera it looks nearly impossible to reach any button you need to change any critical setting, that's at least what I can judge from the photos.

Quote:
I think JVC should slash down the price of the Ls300 to make my decision simpler!!!!!!
Name me one other camera with jvc's featureset which cost 2,5k (b&h had it on offer a while ago for 3k including a 500 dollar lens) I think you should buy a camera that your budget allows.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders