J-log tips and tricks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old May 14th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

J-log tips and tricks

So I got my 50mm Roki running on my LS and looking for the J-log tips from you fine gentlemen.

First off how to get to it to turn it on?
Second, give me the don't and the do's.
Thirdly, what to keep in mind from your experience?

I took a little footage in my dark living room with no light on with just a little bit of sun light coming in through closed blinds and i was a amazed at how good this cam can see in the dark. Of course I have a Roki 5mm T1.5 on but still very impressive. I went out side to take a bit of sun light footage and it is very vibrant. I have to close down on the aperture ring on the lens with the full ND in position. I'm impressed at first glance.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: J-log tips and tricks

When shooting JLog, always use zebras and histogram. I tend to shoot as bright as I can without the zebras showing up. Unless it's on a light/cloud or something like that. Set the zebras to 108% and when they show up on things you don't want to blow out, just stop it down a little.

I don't have the camera with me right now, so I can't help with how to find it, but also make sure you turn on the 1d lut on as well - its also in the menu somewhere, and gives a rough post-grade image on the LCD screen.

Also, look into buying the Leeming Lut Leeming LUT One - it's designed for the Ls300, and comes with a good guide for how to expose your shot to make the most out of it.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the insight. The leeming lut site had great information for shooting in J-log. Im still trying to figure out how to put the cam in J-log. This seems to escape me.

Edited: Ok I found it is this manual attached... Will do some practicing with the j-log today when I get home from work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B5A-1100-00.pdf (1.09 MB, 284 views)

Last edited by Aaron Jones Sr.; May 15th, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 16th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I wish the LUTs output via HDMI... I never use the wretched viewfinder, and use the LCD mostly for menu changes since I shoulder mount and view with an EVF... I don't find exposure a problem though, the Gratical has good scopes, and the Z-Finder has good zebras - to be honest it's mostly practice, getting accustomed to whatever you're using to view while shooting...

But I would like the LUT output for color, contrast and focusing ...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Major Player

I still seem to be having a little bit of trouble. I went to Camera Process >> Gamma >> and changed to J-log1 but there seems to be no difference. I'm recording 150Mbs 4K 30fps. Trying to get the J-log setup going so I can practice the ETTR principle.

EDIT: I purchased the leeming lut. I have been practicing and I have finally got the hang of it now. I have been running outside and back in for a couple hours filming and then coloring. I need to keep going through the motions to get good at it though.

Last edited by Aaron Jones Sr.; May 16th, 2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Major Player

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help. Today at a last minute notice I went and shot Tommy Hitman Hearns with Clarissa Shields today. I took a chance and shot it all in J-log1. MAN!! It turned out great for my first commercial gig with J-log. I will be shooting Clarissa Shield's next fight in Detroit as a result of showing up. So ring side I will have exclusive shots. I will need to grab a wider lens though. I shot all the footage today with a 35mm T1.5 Roki. Very shallow DOF, but I worked with it and got some awesome shots.

I think I finally got the hang of the J-log. I know I will need continual practice, but I'm off at a good start thanks to you fellas. I will post a few shots once I get some threw my post work flow.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Awesome, very cool you got the next fight, congrats. It is so true about the shallow depth of field being nice, I came from a 1/3" sensor and first time a shot on that 35mm the bokeh ability was beauty.

The J-log can look really good, I've been shooting sports lately so haven't been using for sharpness and slo-mo. One note there is an "auto-sharpness" feature that is turned off in j-log, depending on what you're shooting adding a small bit of sharpness filter in post can make a difference. Not a must, just something to be aware of and consider.

Nice going, look forward to seeing some of the footage.
Jay P. Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Here is little bit of the footage from today.

https://mediazilla.com/joq4pyv13

Old May 21st, 2017, 02:14 AM   #9
Trustee

Aaron - great work. Hi from Ypsilanti BTW!

Been looking at the LS300 for a long time now; figured some other company would respond to it, but
so far, no. Maybe Panasonic in a week....

Still loving it?
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Hello John, Wow, we are pretty close to each other. Yes, trying to get the hang of the this wicket shallow DOF. I'm not quite use to that. I came from the Sony FS100's platform. So this extra sensitive sensor combined with these fast Roki's are quite the challenge in a run and gun flow. It will take more practice to develop that muscle memory and get the feel of the focus ring.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders