Have You Tried This Rig? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old May 20th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Have You Tried This Rig?

I was lurking around the net and ran across this rig and thought it may be helpful for you run and gun enthusiast. I thought it my help at receptions while filming weddings and that after ceremony picture session where they are out on different locations.

I hate the focus rings that it comes with, but I use the Roki's so they already have the cine rings built in. I would love to hear your feedback. I have found it for $349 on ebay and as low as $329 on another off site.

What I think may be useful about it is the fact that it makes your unit into a shoulder rig and at the same time give you the follow focus ability with ease. I probably would not take advantage of the zoom because i use primes, but then again it could be used for my manual aperture ring.

Last edited by Aaron Jones Sr.; May 20th, 2017 at 01:02 PM.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Have You Tried This Rig?

I haven't tried a power focus rig like that, but I have gone thru a couple of rig set-ups on this camera and can comment that that rig would depend on how long of a period of time you plan to be on the shoulder.

This main issue is that rig is very front-heavy, and a counter-weight doesn't offset it enough. On the classic shoulder-from ENG rig form that I was trying to match, most of the weight actually sits on the shoulder, you can almost let go of the camera because you aren't supporting it with your hands and forearms.

On that rig, all the weight is on your forearms, and you just can't shoot very long before you start to wear out because there is no real weight under the shoulder. It's emphasized more on this camera too because you're going to be using heavier lenses and maybe a few accessories forward as well. Most of the rigs out there have this drawback, it's like they all wanna be forward to see the flip doors or something.

I said I was going to post some pics of mine, I got busy but decided to make a video about my experience with an evolving rig, something that would have helped me save a few steps/money, I'll post it here tonite or tomorrow.

You don't need as much as you think, just the right few things, think small, don't get the bulky cheap one. It can work, but you won't like it.
Jay P. Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Have You Tried This Rig?

Awesome, I look forward to seeing your rig.

I more or less was looking at this rig for the sake of the power follow focus. Even if it is on the tripod having the power follow focus would be handy. I'm only running manual lenses with the Roki's as I get the whole set of primes. I love the fact of having memory position programmed especially with my TV show interviews and things like that. It was just a thought.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders