HDD replacement with SDD in Everio HD3 / HD7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old April 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDD replacement with SDD in Everio HD3 / HD7

I was wondering how possible it is to replace the HD3 / HD7 HDD with a solid state flash. Once the camera is out of warranty I see no reason to 'live in fear'. The working hdd can be imaged with ghost. Then mapped onto a new flash storage.

As far as I know it comes in 1.8" and 2.5" form factors. In both ZIF and one other interconnect. There are also dozens of sources of 1.8" to 2.5" converters should they be needed. The expected current cost of 64GB flash (April 2008) is around 900USD and falling fast. Has anyone ever DYI modified a camera (even those who are employed by JVC are welcome to comment). I imagine that there is no reason why someone could not go to 96GB in solid state. Unless the system is bit-limited in addressing. It would certainly increase the battery life. speed and shock rating.

You can look in the SanDisk website for information on the SDD product. They are by no means the only source but they are probably the only ones selling into the mass-market. Some of the more exotic brands are clearly military grade (full height 3.5" 1000GB drives in SDD NAND).

Does anyone have a factory repair manual they wish to sell ? I anticipate doing such a modification when the prices come down and the warranty expires.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

A link to the product if anyone is curious.

http://www.sandisk.com/OEM/ProductCa...Computing.aspx

Personally I think that the HDD should be in a semi-sealed bay which can be serviced by an intelligent technician - much the same as laptops do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series