Firewire INPUT on GZ-HD series? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old August 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Firewire INPUT on GZ-HD series?

O.K., maybe this is a dumb question. Say I plug the firewire port out of a JVC GYHD100 into the firewire port of a GZ-HD7, then I press "record" on the GZ-HD7. What happens? Anything?

What if I do it the other way around?
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Brian

As the saying goes, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

And yours is a good question.

I believe the "firewire" port, or IEEE 1394 or i.Link port as it may be called is only an output port. I have been told that some cameras can also be controlled, that is started and paused via this connection as well when connected to a computer and software that enables this feature. I am not aware if the HD7 supports this feature. As for the HD100 I would assume the same is true, but I do not know for a fact. Maybe someone with more info can chime in.

Now, from where I sit, I don't know if I would want to chance trying this. We are talking about 2 cameras with a total cost of what, maybe around $4000-$5000, and possibly frying the port on one or both units? Repair bill around $400 each, maybe? And I have heard of many people with fried firewire ports on their cameras. How did this happen?

The only reason I say this is because on the audio side of the house, I've seen people fry effects or other audio equipment by accident connecting to what they thought was an input port, but turned out was an output. OUCH!

The signal levels may be low, but I don't know. I would rather see documented info or let someone else be Mr. Wizard.

Just my 2 cents.

The best to you.
Manuel Correa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
O.K., maybe this is a dumb question. Say I plug the firewire port out of a JVC GYHD100 into the firewire port of a GZ-HD7, then I press "record" on the GZ-HD7. What happens? Anything?

What if I do it the other way around?
There is no software driver in the firmware to address the 1394 port as an AV input. It functions mainly as an intelligent data transfer link (thus the name i-link).
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Smith View Post
There is no software driver in the firmware to address the 1394 port as an AV input. It functions mainly as an intelligent data transfer link (thus the name i-link).
Thanks Barry for chiming in.

I was pretty sure it was only an output port to a drive, dvr or pc.
Manuel Correa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Deck control via Firewire is part of the DV specs.

But hold the horses here for a second: Do I interpret what is said above correctly and there is no way to route the video signal from my editor back through the camera via Firewire and connect a TV to the camera's AV output for monitoring or recording to a VHS tape? That'd be suboptimal....
Claus Bier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Bier View Post

But hold the horses here for a second: Do I interpret what is said above correctly and there is no way to route the video signal from my editor back through the camera via Firewire and connect a TV to the camera's AV output for monitoring or recording to a VHS tape? That'd be suboptimal....
What is a VHS ?
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry, one of my "clients" is a 75 yr. old lady whose technical advancement stopped some 25 years ago when she got a video recorder. But at least, she is better in programming that thing than I would ever be.
Claus Bier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Bier View Post

The hd7 only outputs from its FW port.

PS: VHS is the analog version of D-VHS and the large size of VHS-C and a close relative to W-VHS. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series