GZ HD7 with flags & extras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old August 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GZ HD7 with flags & extras

Hello to everyone here at DVInfo. My first post here and I'm glad to have found this place. Very few places to share HD7 stuff on the net. Hope I can contribute more than I will probably get.

OK, so here we go. I noticed a thread on the HD3 pro-look and saw Steve Mullen reply to see it done with an HD7. Is this what you wanted to see?

It's one of two HD7's I have been using since the beginning of the year. The other photos show the HD7 with a 40 watt halogen light installed sitting on my old Bogen/Manfrotto. Its over 20 years old and will probably out live this camera as well. Let me know what you think.

Manuel Correa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi

Very nice setup. That is what I have been looking for. Pro gear for a great cam. Do you sale it or Do you have a list of part numbers and brand names. I would like to see more acc. for this cam. (aftermarket)

Len
Leonard Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

What powers the lamp ? What are you using for sound ?

I think that was a sound investment. I think the replacement value is probably a scary number.
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Excellent job Manuel. Maybe I did a mistake of choosing the SR11 over the HD7.
Jade Maestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

GZ HD7 with flags and extras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Richardson View Post
Hi

Very nice setup. That is what I have been looking for. Pro gear for a great cam. Do you sale it or Do you have a list of part numbers and brand names. I would like to see more acc. for this cam. (aftermarket)

Len
Hello Leonard. Thank you much. I agree that there are few accessories specifically geared toward the HD7. Sometimes you have to keep looking or find items meant for other cameras that will work with the JVC.

I take it that you are asking about the flags? Well, you must first understand that I try to make as much use of what I already have. That was the case with the hood & flags. I do not sell this item, instead I modified an existing product to get the result I wanted. The Cokin items are all available commercial products, and I have been using the Cokin system for many years. It is what I have used for my 35mm SLR, 8mm, HI-8 and SVHS camcorders.

On the front of the HD7 I have installed a Tiffen 46mm UV filter, on to this I have mounted a Cokin adapter. Next is a Cokin filter holder. It will accept 1 circular filter & 2 square filters. Mounted to the filter holder is a Cokin modular hood.

Now, the flags are a different story, they were fabricated by me. At the time I was at a crossroad, do I pay off my insurance or purchase a matte box? The insurance company won that round!

The flags are constructed from a styrene that I purchased at a local hobby shop. It is smooth on one side and has a grainy texture on the other. They are mounted on the hood using 2 inch hinges, one for each flag, and secured via #4-40 1/4 inch screws at the flag & #4-40 3/8 inch screws at the hood. Finishing washers are what you see on the outward face.

The wings on the top flag are made from styrene, but is smooth on both sides. A #4 brass washer below allows the wing to ride above the flag without scraping or binding. I basically copied a Cavision design. So, you could say I have a DIY matte box/filter holder for around $50. Not exactly the same as a $500 box, but it works for me.

The only issue is when the side wings are closed down, as in the second photo, the hinge just comes into frame on the side. A slight nudge on the control to zoom out slightly removes it from view. If they are opened further they are not in view. This issue does not bother me.

The rods are 300 mm, a balance plate, hand grip and shoulder pad all from Cavision. The model # escapes me right now.

The tripod is a Manfrotto 351 single stage with a 75mm bowl and ball assembly along with a 3063 head. Although the 351 is still available the 3063 head is no longer made, it is #136, about 22 years old. My other HD7 is on on new 351 tripod and a 503HDV head.

So, Leonard, I hope that answers your question. Now, what's in your box of goodies?

Best Regards
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Smith View Post
What powers the lamp ? What are you using for sound ?

I think that was a sound investment. I think the replacement value is probably a scary number.
Hello Barry!

The on board lamp is a 40 watt quartz halogen unit, QZLux by Luxman and is powered by an external 12v battery pack made by Bescor. I have 2 packs a MM9 and a HP3.

As for sound, well, that depends what we are talking about. I have done sound reinforcement work for a while and have several products I use. As for microphones, I have several, it depends on what I need to do. I rarely ever use the on board microphone. For shotguns, I use Rode NTG-2, Beyer MCE86-II, AT897 or Sennheiser MKE400. The later for on board use because it is much smaller. For wireless, I use Sennheiser Evolution 500 Series units.
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Maestre View Post
Excellent job Manuel. Maybe I did a mistake of choosing the SR11 over the HD7.
Hello Jade !

How can you say that? You purchased the camera that was best for you. It doesn't matter what anyone else is using. You must get what you feel is right for YOU!

Many factors go into any camera purchase. The feel, layout, controls, cost, reputation, easy of use, what accessories can be had, brand loyality just to name a few.

The Sony is a nice camera and I did consider it. The video is very good, the Carl Zeiss lens is a very good quality, has a 60G hard drive, and it shoots in FHD 1920x1080. I will add that the OIS on the Sony is much better than the HD7. Once you zoom out past 4X on the HD7, it starts to get erratic.

The reason I did not go for it was my uncertainty about AVCHD and I prefer most manual controls outside and not have to drill down through menus. The HD7 has its menu system but manual control of most used features is only a button away.

So, in the end we each get what we wanted. Besides, there is no right or wrong here. Don't you think!

All the best to you!
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Manuel

In my box of goodies. I have alot of filters, 4 extra batt's and remote charger. Not much so far . Nice job on your setup. I'm going to have to make me one also. I have thought about a setup something like that before with the cokin filter holder, I really like to be able to drop a filter in. Is that the 3" or the 4" holder. The grip under the cam I also like. A pro cam needs pro gear. That looks like a pro setup!! I'm going to go by my local hobby Shop and see if they have that stuff. Is it already Black or did you paint it?

Len
Leonard Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Leonard

Yes, I also have several Cokin filers. I use the A series. As I said, I try to make use of what I already have. A P-series would be wider and the Z-Pro uses the 4 inch filters.

Can never have enough batteries. I have 3 for each camera 1 1450mA/h and 2 2190mA/h. The external charger is a necessary accessory.

As for the styrene, that was purchased some time ago but should be a common item. I forget it was either made by Plasti-struc or Evergreen and was a beige/cream color. It has 1 coat of gray primer and 2 coats of a flat black all of which are sprayed on. The screws and finishing washers can be had at your local home center, also common items.

I'm glad you found this to have a pro look, I try. Now, lets see what else is in our bag of tricks!

All the best.
Manuel Correa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series