JY-HD1OU New Footage etc. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:30 PM   #16
Major Player

A couple of more happy discoveries through actually shooting this weekend.

1) If you use 1/30 shutter speed and lock to that, all the juddering that was reported during panning and tilting etc. goes away. This also gives a nice filmic motion blur to faster moving objects, I do not reccomend any other shutter speed unless you want some kind of special effect.

2) If you're playing back footage on a PC monitor, make sure your PC is fast enough for the job, as this also causes juddering. A 1ghz PC or a dual 450 G4 Mac is NOT fast enough.

3) A polarizing filter will fix many of the problems with the whites blowing out in very bright conditions, I haven't tried ND filters yet, but I'm sure they will work equally well if not better. The camera is not capable of shutting down the iris sufficiently on it's own in bright conditions, so it needs a little help.

Hope this helps.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Paul do you have that link to the HD material of the golden gate bridge?

I did some searches and you would think with todays speed etc there would be sites with sample HD footage to look at as well as frames. I never found one site. I know there out there but the search engines can't find them.

Michael Pappas
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:34 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

8) I will not be selling my IKegami HLDV7W any time shortly. If you're trying to do profesional video you need a tool that you can dial in accurately and predicably to deliver constistenly high quality. The JY-HD1OU is not that camera, nor did I expect or hope it to be, and nor has JVC tried to sell it as such. I think that for the price, it'ds quite amazing what IS possible with this camera though.

I agree; I bought the camera to make my literally NO-budget films!

heath
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:47 PM   #19
Major Player

Michael,
I downloaded it some time ago from the Heuris site at http://www.heuris.com/MPEGProducts/HD_samples/index.htm but it looks like now you have to send them an email first before being given access to download it. It's the clip at the bottom of the page by emotion studios, they used to have it on their website too, but I can't see it there now. When you get it let me know and I'll send you my version of the GG bridge clip so you can compare.
Heath, I think you should be able to get great quality for low budget films using this cam, with a little forethought and working around it's problems. I intend to do the same thing with it myself.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:14 PM   #20
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Heath, I think you should be able to get great quality for low budget films using this cam, with a little forethought and working around it's problems. I intend to do the same thing with it myself. -->>>

I've already written up a two page, non-dialogue tiny zero-budget film (with the exception of tapes and food, maybe 50 bucks) I plan on doing in a few weeks. One day. Should be fun (though it's kind of a depressing film).

I'd like to keep my "film muscles" flexed and worked out, so I'm sure I'll do more projects like this in the future before 9:04 AM (to be shot on a CineAlta, likely).

heath
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Paul the company that you got the GGB HD clip from told me that they don't have them for download anymore since it overloaded there system. Since you have it, If you would be so nice to send it to Chris Hurd for me. He will upload it for me so I can download the file.

Michael Pappas
Old June 24th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #22
Major Player

I'd love to do that, plus I'd like to send him my versions of the shot on the JVC to post. Can he accept this stuff as an email attachment or is there and upload site? I'm at work right now, so it will have to be later tonight.

Paul
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:00 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Paul, I don't have an upload area yet, but you should be able to push them through email to me if you have broadband (I'll have supposedly-high-speed net access from my hotel in L.A. the next few days). If not, maybe you could burn a CD and snail-mail it to me, if that's not too much trouble. Thanks a bunch,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old June 25th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #24
HDV Cinema

Paul, I'm curious about the following.

1) In very bright light:

If you press S/A once -- what is the shutter-speed displayed?

If you NOW press S/A twice -- what is the F stop displayed?

2) In low (bright enough to get accetable video with AGC off) light:

3) In the same light with AGC on:

Old June 25th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #25
Permanently Banned

Steve, why don't you go to some store and try it. I think it is about time you started playing with this toy. There are plenty of them here in LA in stores. I'm sure NY is the same. As to the speed and aperature lockup; it can't be done. JVC confirmed this.

Does anyone know what is the low light rating on this? The original Japanese version was 35 Lux. When I tried it in a store, it appeared a lot better than that, but it was not hooked up to a monitor. Can anyone compare it to PD150, using light meter, and tell us how many times more light you need for the same image quality/noise/contrast in low light?
Old June 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #26
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Joseph George : Steve, why don't you go to some store and try it. I think it is about time you started playing with this toy. --->

Because I'm waiting for one from JVC. And, a store is no place to test a camera as you should know.

<-- As to the speed and aperature lockup; it can't be done. JVC confirmed this. -->

I was asking for the readouts. By now we all know it can't be locked.

< -- When I tried it in a store, it appeared a lot better than that, but it was not hooked up to a monitor. -->>>

Well george, you just proved my point about going to stores. It's 90 at 99% in NYC -- so don't push my NYC buttons. :)

<-- Can anyone compare it to PD150, using light meter, and tell us how many times more light you need for the same image quality/noise/contrast in low light? -->

And why don't you go to one of those LA stores with all the cameras and compare it with a PD150? I'm sure they'll be happy to do it just for you.
Old June 25th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #27
Permanently Banned

Hey Steve, we have Entertainment Technology Expo here this week. I heard that Color TV Expo is coming to NY soon. You guys should quit trying to replace vacuum tubes in the JVC camcorder. I am very serious.
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Steve you don't need a full testing system to test functions. The other day you spoke as if it were the gospel when you told others and I we were not doing it right with the S/A control. Don't tell people there wrong if you have not tried yourself. If your going to guess then say it's just that, and not fact.

I am the kind of person that believes in accountability, and it tells a lot about a person when that individual makes a mistake and stands up and takes account of their actions. Big or small it doesn't matter. Small ripples in a pond eventual become big ones.

Michael Pappas
Http://www.Pbase.com/PappasArts9
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #29
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas : I am the kind of person that believes in accountability, and it tells a lot about a person when that individual makes a mistake and stands up and takes account of their actions. -->>>

I'm very, very, very sorry that I said you "did it wrong." Perhaps if I had said you "might" be doing it wrong -- you wouldn't be so miffed a week later.

But pleeeeze -- adding a couple of paragraphs of "ain't I a great guy" after offering the wisdom "Steve you don't need a full testing system to test functions" is very revealing.

You too seem to miss the fact I was looking for readings under different lighting conditions. Now if you want to try that at B&H -- come on out and be my guest.

In any case, I was asking Paul. Not clear why anyone else felt they needed to get involved by making negative posts.
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #30
Major Player

Joseph, I live in LA and I'd love to play around with one of the cameras in store. What area stores do you recommend?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U