JY-HD1OU New Footage etc. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 25th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

Betsy -- come on downtown to the Entertainment Technology World show at the convention center this Fri and Sat, and play with all the camcorders including the HD10U all you want while talking to manufacturer's reps. It's a free event. I'll be in the Canon booth; please stop by and say hello.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old June 25th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #32
Major Player

Thanks, Chris, if I can get away from work long enough, I'll do just that.
Old June 25th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #33
Regular Crew

I am not miffed at you Steve! Since I'm not able to see this camera on a HD monitor, I focused on the functions of the unit fully. I was sure it didn't go full manual from the first tests. So when you posted 101 I went and tested it again, Still did not work. Then you said your not doing right. And reposted the 101. In my mind, I'm thinking "wait I've ran cameras a thousand times more complicated, why the hell is this such an issue to figure out. Then I'm thinking, ok this is Steve, he knows far more complicated stuff then this camera. So I go back again, and as I discovered before, it still does not do it. Then finding out you have not used it enough to know either way, it was just frustrating that's all. I guess if JVC did it right we would have not had an issue.

Now that we know what the camera can't do, I guess we should figure out how to manipulate it to work right. I notice that the camera is more conservative to adjust from bright scenes to darker ones.

Michael Pappas

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Mullen : <<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas : I am the kind of person that believes in accountability, and it tells a lot about a person when that individual makes a mistake and stands up and takes account of their actions. -->>>

I'm very, very, very sorry that I said you "did it wrong." Perhaps if I had said you "might" be doing it wrong -- you wouldn't be so miffed a week later.

But pleeeeze -- adding a couple of paragraphs of "ain't I a great guy" after offering the wisdom "Steve you don't need a full testing system to test functions" is very revealing.

You too seem to miss the fact I was looking for readings under different lighting conditions. Now if you want to try that at B&H -- come on out and be my guest.

In any case, I was asking Paul. Not clear why anyone else felt they needed to get involved by making negative posts. -->>>
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #34
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas -->>>

I sorry to blast you. Actually I did say I was sorry -- but not directly to you in a post on one of the threads.

I wrote MC 101 based upon how it looked like it would work from the manual.

The manual that is wrong, wrong about this. And this is not a tiny point to leave out! And with everyplace in NYC charging a 15% restock fee -- you can't use the PDF to judge the product -- so you could be screwed.

My hope -- which is what I'm asking Paul to check -- is that the AE is always biased to keep exposure at 1/60th until the iris can no longer handle the exposure.

My thought is that you could check the speed, then check the F stop -- and then click the EC dial up/down. Every 3 clicks should be one stop. So -- although you couldn't read the stop -- you would know it. And, you could be confident the speed had not changed -- unless you clicked below 1.8 or 22.

This bias by a stop or 2 would help reduce the blown highlights. Andm hopefully you could lock or semi-lock this exposure.

Do you think this might work?

And, I am sorry.

Steve
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #35
Permanently Banned

Betsy Moore, I saw the camera at Best Buy -- the HD1 model.
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #36
MPS Digital Studios

Steve and Michael,

I'm hopefully going to pick up the camera (HD10) sometime soon and will also do the tests. It's hard to picture what you're saying without the camera in my hands.

heath
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #37
Major Player

Thanks, Joseph!
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #38
Major Player

I've called around to some of the Best Buy stores without success, do you happen to know which Best Buy has one?
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #39
Permanently Banned

Betsy, I went to see some friends in San Diego and we just walked into Good Guys at Grossmont Center and there it was displayed.

If you want to get to the expo for free, you need to register today.

Sorry about the Best Buy mixed up. It was Good Guys, and you get a free DVHS deck with it.
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #40
HDV Cinema

<<<-- It was Good Guys, and you get a free DVHS deck with it. -->>>

Which DVHS deck?

Price?

Does the Good Guys allow returns?
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Steve, I was told the default shutter is 1/30th. It should be 1/60th though. I'm hoping that I can get my hands on the camera to try out more. When do you think you might be getting the camera? I'm hoping there will be good enough work arounds to control the image.

Michael Pappas

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Mullen : <<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas -->>>

I sorry to blast you. Actually I did say I was sorry -- but not directly to you in a post on one of the threads.

I wrote MC 101 based upon how it looked like it would work from the manual.

The manual that is wrong, wrong about this. And this is not a tiny point to leave out! And with everyplace in NYC charging a 15% restock fee -- you can't use the PDF to judge the product -- so you could be screwed.

My hope -- which is what I'm asking Paul to check -- is that the AE is always biased to keep exposure at 1/60th until the iris can no longer handle the exposure.

My thought is that you could check the speed, then check the F stop -- and then click the EC dial up/down. Every 3 clicks should be one stop. So -- although you couldn't read the stop -- you would know it. And, you could be confident the speed had not changed -- unless you clicked below 1.8 or 22.

This bias by a stop or 2 would help reduce the blown highlights. Andm hopefully you could lock or semi-lock this exposure.

Do you think this might work?

And, I am sorry.

Steve -->>>
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:31 AM   #42
Permanently Banned

Steve, The price is $3.5K with JVC $500 deck that used to cost more; I think that that's what the salesman was saying but I did not pay much attention. He was going to show me the deck, but I did not go look at it. I think that they have 15 or 30 day 100% refund policy but they had only the display unit and it would take a few days to get your unit from their warehouse. Nice place to buy stuff. I'm sure there will be some creative filmmakers that will buy the camera there, return it, and when they will be ready to make another movie, they'll buy a better camcorder that will be then available.
Old June 26th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #43
Major Player

Sorry I haven't been able to do any shutter etc. tests yet, I'm very tied up with work, but have emailed a bunch of clips to Chris Hurd this morning, hopefully they got through.

All the best
Old June 26th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #44
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Sorry I haven't been able to do any shutter etc. tests yet, I'm very tied up with work, but have emailed a bunch of clips to Chris Hurd this morning, hopefully they got through.

All the best -->>>

Paul and everyone,

I should have my HD10 tomorrow, possibly Monday. I hope it's tomorrow. This has been dragging out too long.

heath
Old June 26th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #45
Major Player

In response to Steve's question, what it looks like is happening to me is that if I set the shutter to 1/30th, then go to lock iris to a setting it stays at 1/30th until there until the camera hits conditions that it determins require it to speed up the shutter.
Also, as I said before, my shooting so far leads me to believe that 1/30th is the ideal speed for the shutter on this camera, which gets rid of the jitter problems, not 1/60th as some are saying.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U