Hidden service menus? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old November 6th, 2003, 02:17 AM   #16
Trustee

A while ago we talked -device control- via the JLIP in this forum. In older DV cams and maybe this one, menu's could be accessed via computer and printer port or USB. Maybe advanced settings are available.
Here are some links.

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...o_f/whatj.html

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...lip/index.html

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...o_f/index.html

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/..._f1/index.html

Ken
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #17
Major Player

well... This is very interresting and somewhat promising. It makes sense that technicians could access the setup of the camera using a numeric port like firewire or USB.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old November 6th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The best way to find out would be to order a Service Manual from the JVC's Service Department. These are expensive, but Japanese HD1 version has been available from JVC Japan online for months now. They may offer the English version, including HD10, online too.

JVC audio receivers made for the US don't work in Europe because they are made for a different voltage there, which is no big deal; you can use a transformer. But the FM frequencies change in 200 kHz increments in the US and in 100 kHz increments in Europe. A simple wire connection on the printed circuit board makes the US receivers usable in Europe.
Old November 6th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #19
Major Player

group buy to buy one service manual?

I'm open to starting a group buy for this manual, to see what it says. If others are interested, and willing to share, lets paypal one person to get the manual, and either ship it to each other, or just have one person look it over.
Anyone know how much these are? $80 or so?
I'd put up some $$ to learn more.
Let me know if others are interested!
-Les
Old November 6th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #20
Regular Crew

They should cost less thab 1/2 of this and JVC Japan probably has them all listed on the web for a free download. Just email them; tell them that you're in the middle of Africa and need to look at one now, that you're in the middle of a shoot. Of course some JVC person may read this and will sabotage the effort. What's the name of the JVC engineer that visits this site? Why does not he tell us all how to get into the camcorder service menues. If it is a simple task to turn this camera into a usable tool, JVC, the company that loves and supports filmakers and festivals should be happy to tell us. It would be a great public relations act.

I downloaded the Japanese version os the SM months back, but don't have it anymore. I was told then that the English version will be available shortly.

Any good JVC sole here? Please email me ananymously info on how to get this camcorder workable, and I'll distribute it further. You'll serve a good couse and we'll all love you. And no one will ever learn who you are.
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #21
Trustee

Even if this is not used for hidden functions, I would be very interesed in basic cam function through a pc. This would be very usefull in a studio set-up. If anyone makes headway in this, please let me know.
Thanx
Ken
Old November 7th, 2003, 12:41 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi,

just a note of caution. I have obtained service manuals for other JVC camcorders in the past and they contained no information regarding eeprom, settings, menus and the like. Plenty of circuit diagrams, part numbers and layouts but nothing on accessing menus at all.

Maybe we're talking about 2 different types of 'service manuals' here but just thought I should mention it. From my investigations previously, I think JVC make it a little harder than that to get hold of eeprom data and address definitions. I hope I'm wrong.

I have got manuals previously from this site:

http://www.user-service-manuals.com/...manuals-gr.htm

but no HD-1 or HD-10 listed there. mostly older model camcorders.

Best,

DW.
Old November 7th, 2003, 01:53 AM   #23
Major Player

hmmm, no maybe codes in the service docs?.... well, we'll just have to dis-assemble the micro controller code then!

If only is was easy!
-L
Old November 7th, 2003, 06:49 PM   #24
Regular Crew

In the normal manual for HD1 there is mentioned an adjustment manual and its number. It was impossible to buy it. The reference number was unknown to JVC salse persons! I needed it to addjust a focus plane afer replacing an optic. Still not addjusted (it's about OK, except for extreme telephoto).
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #25
Trustee

Such manuals must be available. Repair shops have them.
Maybe the pro division?
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #26
Major Player

Updates?

Any updates to the group buy or service code acquisition?

Troy
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

Just a friendly reminder that if you tweak anything, be it your cell phone, computer, car/SUV/truck, or your HD10 (or any camera), you could very well break the warranty. I've also heard of people who break the warranty, but try to pay full price for repairs and they're turned away.

I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware if you try to hack it, you probably will cancel out the warranty.

heath
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:40 AM   #28
Trustee

True enough Heath, thanks for the warning.

Has anyone ever seen or used a Jlip device?
Ken
Old December 11th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #29
MPS Digital Studios

Some guys I know who used (and abused) the HD10 said they found no hidden menus. They wrote a review, I believe, of the HD10, so they did all sorts of stuff with it.

heath
Old December 11th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #30
Major Player

Sometimes it's pretty much impossible to find the codes to get into a service mode.
Very strange key hold down combos, in specific sequence, for certain durations can make it like cracking a safe open with a combination lock!
Especially if they have features in there, like full manual, that they don't want turned on because of product line strategies.
The only hope is a mole that can tell us from the inside, maybe.
-Les

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U