Difference and reliability between HD1 and HD10u - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Leo,

Could you post more screenshots of edge enhancement on/off and sharpness on/off? I know you have one of each already but I'd like to see more samples.

Allen
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #17
Trustee

I wopuld think $200 USD plus return shipping would be fair.
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Lu
Leo,

Could you post more screenshots of edge enhancement on/off and sharpness on/off? I know you have one of each already but I'd like to see more samples.

Allen
Allen,

I have uploaded more images shot in a hurry from my window. Very flat overcast lighting but should give an idea of possible improvement. I am very interested to hear what setting produces the most pleasing looks for people here! 100% (default) is too much by any standard.

Leo

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/video/

Last edited by Leo Bodnar; July 27th, 2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Leo,

Hard to tell with the in-between pics once you reduced the sharpening and EE from 100%. I wish the pics are all in 16:9 since I see some artificial vertical sharpening from the stretching.

From this set of pics I prefer 25% sharpening. Anything but that video look at 100% setting. Is it really that bad? (I believe it while looking at some of my clips on the HD1). With 0% EE/sharpening I thought it look quite blurry in the 16:9 pic. Would the HD mode of the HD1 provide some more native sharpening than compared to the PD1's no EE/sharpening pics?

On your site, was the first top picture done with only EE turned off and with sharpening at default?

What I want is to tune the EE/sharpening to look like some of the still pics I've seen from the FX1. Ignoring the color, I thought that the edges off that cam is very clean, maybe even cleaner than the HD10. Is this possible because I thought the image from the HD1 is actually pretty sharp in a well lit scene. Someone had posted the same observation that in a well lit scene, the HD1 and FX1 are on par until it gets to the low light situation.

Any HD10 users out there that may take a look at Leo's site to see which picture the HD10 looks most similar to?

Allen
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #20
Trustee

I would say the HD10, to me, looks somewhere around %25 to my eyes.
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I use EE and sharpening interchangeably because it is a single process and a single control in JVC.

It is hard to tell whether 0% + a bit of EE in post or 25% and no post EE is better. Since the camera applies EE to the raw image and then passes it through mpeg2 codec, it might be beneficial to do mpeg2 compression of already sharper image.

I suggest loading PNG images into your NL software and playing with it to see what can be achieved.

I believe HD1 should be easier to tweak then PD1 because the PD1 dowconverts image to a smaller pixel count.

For my eyes 25% looks best and 100% is really too much. I can't get rid of those black circles around lights and white objects in post. 25% is now my default setting.

I'd love to come up with some standard test target so that we Ill can shoot it and compare like for like.

First picture is the result of tuning different criteria - the values of CCD matrix coefficients. It did achive some results but in an indirect way. Now I am controlling EE directly. I plan to do some more work on colours and gamma as soon as I have repeatable standard object to shoot.

Posted 16:9 images:
100% EE - http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/video/100-16x9.jpg
25% EE - http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/video/25-16x9.jpg

Last edited by Leo Bodnar; July 27th, 2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Copied from other thread

Leo Bodnar -

"I have more on my plate at the moment that I can cope with - e.g. I have found how to separate EE and sharpness. "

Cool, I saw this from the other close thread to this one. Dont know if you have the time but just wondering now that EE and sharpness can be separate, what happens with only EE turned off, in terms of picture output?

I think you may be able to better the HD1 than the HD10 in it's default form, and possibly provide some HD10 owners something to think about.
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:33 AM   #23
Trustee

Could a screw-on lens fliter possibly help with EE?
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
Could a screw-on lens fliter possibly help with EE?
EE is basically a bolt-on to sharpness algorithm that adds extra sharpness if contrast gradient exceeds preset threshold. In other words, if contrast changes quickly enough (that's what happens on the edges), extra sharpness is added.

In theory adding a soft filter could help bringing overall contrst down and EE has less chance to kick in. However around the light sources and reflections it is still high.

Try adding a soft filter (proper one or stockings/smear) and then compensate with some sharpness during post.

However, image without any EE at all is just plain beautiful - like an old photograph (even though the crispness is gone.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U