Difference and reliability between HD1 and HD10u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Difference and reliability between HD1 and HD10u

We are looking at purchasing two of these cameras and we are wondering if there is a big difference between the HD1 and HD10u. I have heard that the HD1 has more failures and were wondering if this is true? Is it worth the price difference to purchase the HD10u? Is the HD1 capable of producing the same quality image as the HD10u besides the edge enhancement on the HD1. Thanks and your help will be greatly appreciated.

Daniel
DDS Productions
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Compared my readings of the HD10u vs the HD1

The only real difference is that the video has less edge enhancement and that the LCD on the HD10u has more pixels and comes with a mic. The HD10u has a longer warranty than the HD1. More failures, I'm not sure. They both came from the same line.

The video can be fixed in post on your NLE from the HD1 so for the extra money, to me, it was not worth it. If its the same price, buy the HD10u.
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Trustee

I have not heard either way many problems with the cams.

Allen, how do you propose to get rid of EE in an NLE?
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Trustee

Edge Enhancement seems like a tuff nut to fix in post......if anyone figures that one out I'm sure allot of people would be interested in the solution.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I am not able to get rid of the edge enhancement entirely but I can soften it by adjusting the gamma. I have not been looking into this further since I really want to fix this in the firmware.
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

what exactly does the edge enhancement do? is it worth the $500 or so dollars in difference?
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:16 PM   #7
Trustee

Edge enhancement or EE, is a non removeable feature of the lower cost consumer HD-1. It is a darkening (drawing a black line) of high contrast edges. It makes the image look sharper than it is. It is acceptable to most people or even preferred to some as it gives their home video's that pow-bam HD look. The downside is it also gives a edgy video look that many artist don't want, or want to add themselves by increasing sharpness in post.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Not worth a dime more, just get the HD-10U.

Mike
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Major Player

I own both. Only differences are:

-The Viewfinder (not LCD) resolution - the HD10U one is much better;
-The XLR inputs (2 on the HD10U, none on the HD1);
-The edge enhancement on the HD1, which isn't good but you can actually work your way around it in post on most cases, after all we're talking 1280x720 here.

If you have a low budget go for the HD1, don't be too scared because it's almost the same as it's better brother. If you can afford the HD10U though, go for it.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Little edge enhancement after post:

http://www.geocities.com/headlesspuppy/stuff/hdv2.jpg
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM   #11
Trustee

Whats your main tool for minimizing EE, Dave?
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM   #12
Trustee

Hey Dave F. are you thoroughly happy with your JVC's?
What sorta drawbacks have you noticed personally having used them both for awhile now?
Are you very happy with the video it produces?
Thanks Dave.
Old July 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #13
Major Player

In addition to the better warranty with the HD10, you get to deal with JVC Pro - not Consumer. In many cases, if you buy it with credit card, you get one year extended warranty from Visa or MC. Save all the paperwork INCLUDING monthly statement.
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
Hey Dave F. are you thoroughly happy with your JVC's?
What sorta drawbacks have you noticed personally having used them both for awhile now?
Are you very happy with the video it produces?
Thanks Dave.
Steve, yes I'm very happy with the results obtained from both cameras. I haven't performed a test with both cameras side-by-side, but maybe will do when I have the time & patience.

What I dislike about both cameras is the lack of full manual control. I don't care personaly about gain, but shutter speed and aperture should be controlled simultaneously, like in my GL2.

I also don't think the camera is too bad on outdoors night shots. Here's an example, not that different from a FX1.

http://www.geocities.com/headlesspup...f/hd1night.jpg

Indoors it's pretty bad without proper lighting, don't expect PD150 or DVX100 type results. It's a 1-CCD camera after all. If, like me, you're thinking of making short films and documentaries with the camera though, you shouldn't worry too much about uncontrolled lighting/shooting conditions.

Personally I still think that the low resulotion viewfinder is the biggest drawback when comparing the two JVC cams.

Ken, I don't use any specific software, just Premiere Pro. When I work with the HD1 for DVDs, I simply down res footage and it looks great. In fact the EE probably helps making the images higher res. When wanting to use HD, I usually place a copy of the footage on a secondary track and the apply the filter 'Anti Aliasing' to it. I the use the opacity meter to regulate how much amount of blending it should do. Of course this is only effective if you footage was decent to start with. If you're shooting on an environment with high contrast (ex. sunny day with lots of shadow) I usually go for a low exposure setting to reduce the EE on over-exposed areas. There's no magic wand, but I would say that in 80-90% of my footage the EE is almost unnoticeable.
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #15
Regular Crew

If I would offer the service of tuning down or even switching EE completely off on HD1, would anybody suggest logistics and expected cost for that?

I am prepared to do this for free to a couple of people to get their independent feedback as soon as the shipment is covered.

I am based in UK and it does not involve taking the camera apart. I can also revert any camera settings back to original if user wishes so afterwards.

Anybody interested?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U