Just one question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old February 20th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Just one question...

I've heard all the complaints about a strange new format, D-VHS, a one-chip camera only, too much compression and all that--I only want to know this....the shows I produce and edit with this camera, how do I then get them into the hands of regular people? In other words, how do I dump this stuff onto VHS or DVDs with all its former HD glory shining through?
Old February 20th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #2
Wrangler

Likely, you'd have to downres it with the likes of After Effects.

It should be noted, though, that HD is coming into its own as a "normal people's TV standard" as more and more hidef sets hit the market at increasingly consumable prices.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 20th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Lynne,
Of course by definition (no pun intended) down-sampling HD material for analog tape or DVD will be unable to recapture the "... former HD glory shining through".

This protracted HD-SD transition that the U.S. and Canada are undergoing has made everyone a neophyte in this matter.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Is it possible it could be as simple as making use of analog outputs on the D-VHS deck that's integral to this whole scheme? Does anyone know what sort of inputs and outputs exist on that deck?
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:26 AM   #5
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Lynne Whelden : Is it possible it could be as simple as making use of analog outputs on the D-VHS deck that's integral to this whole scheme? Does anyone know what sort of inputs and outputs exist on that deck? -->>>

The key is that you are delivering HD copies ONLY to those who have HDTVs. In most cases it will be only a few D-VHS copies for a museum or store. Or, for playing by a small-market station that normally only passes through the network's HD.

The camera's analog outputs either an anamorphic or letterboxed NTSC version of the HD program. So you can make copies for others.

Also, you can down-res to a DVD.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 03:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

So is the picture quality from HD on a standard TV just the same as normal DV quality?
I have viewed photos taken on my Sony PC100e 1 megapixel DV cameral, via the sVHS socket on my PAL TV. This TV has a superb picture, but only 625 lines. The photos are 1152x864 pixels, but the on screen image is no better than the same image shot as DV video on tape. (And not as good as video shot with the Panasonic AG-DVX100).
Presumably I could get slightly more resolution if I were able to use the TV RGB input rather than sVHS.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U