HD250 Malfunction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Major Player

HD250 Malfunction

I have a relatively new HD250 that decided to die. Or more precisely, it's in an error mode.

The message "Turn Power off and Then Back On Again Later" appears in the viewfinder after powering it on for about 15 secs. The HD/HDV light also flashes rapidly back and forth and the VTR light flashes as well. After it enters this mode, the VTR will not eject. The is no tape in the VTR. If I power it on, I can use eject and open the VTR until it enters the error mode a few secs later. I'm not certain if this happened on a shoot as the unit was back on the shelf when I turned it on and discovered this problem. No one seems to know anything about it here. (you know how that can go).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #2

If the camera is less than 30 Days old, use JVC's Perfect Experience Program to obtain a new advance replacement direct from JVC.

Here's the link that explains the program:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/pepolicy.jsp

"To invoke the P/E Policy, please call JVC Professional Products Customer Service at (800) 582-5825"
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Major Player

I think it's off to the Service Center. I think it's about 9 months old. I thought perhaps someone else has seen this anomaly .

Dave Beaty
Old October 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Major Player

I sent it out to Lawrenceville today. Thank god it's still in Warranty - 1 year on these 250's correct?
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually I think it is 2 years on the 200/250 and one year on the 110.

They'll take good care of your problem.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:42 AM   #6
New Boot

Isn't there another thread in this forum on exactly the same fault, the camera refusing to do anything and all lights blinking? I can't find it at the moment.
Richard Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, thank god for the two year warranty on the 250. I got the camera back in just under a month. Parts were the hold up.

The invoice shows a codec board being the culprit. Seems to work now.

In warranty these repairs aren't to much of a hassle. But when gear just fails for no reason after a year or two, the costs are big. And I've found no local techs that can work on these units.

Dave
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Well I was happy to get the HD250 back from repair.

But today I arrived to an irate field crew. "Two days of shooting is ruined! " They tell me. "A black bar thingy is through all the footage!. But it doesn't show on the viewfinder."

Sure enough. It looks like a zipper vertically through the image on tape. We tried a cleaning tape and it has no effect on it. This is in DV mode. In HDV, the image just breaks up and flashes on and off.

I am attaching the image from my cellphone of the LCD showing the zipper effect. I've done this before but it dissapeared after a day or two so let me know if this thumbnail dissapears.

So much for using the camera out of the box. I learned my lesson, test everything before putting it into service. Now I at a loss of what my next move is.

Dave Beaty
Attached Thumbnails
HD250 Malfunction-hd250.jpg  
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Wow. Your next move should be this camera's immediate return to Lawrenceville and be sure to include the tape which shows this problem.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #10
Major Player

Well, someone is listening. I think because I called my dealer and pleaded with them to contact their rep about this camera and the problems I've had with the BR-HD50. I recieved a call from JVC home office as well as a manager at the Lawrenceville facility. They are having me send both units back to them for evaluation.

I mentioned to the person at the home office that it's been over a month without this camera and now with this 2nd malfunction, I could use a loaner. He said that IF the repair was taking more that another 2 weeks I could request a loaner at that time.

We shall see. I sent the units out the last week of Nov. with the tape.

Dave B
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

A zipper.....wow how odd is that...geez.
Roy Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM   #12
Major Player

We finally got our HD250 back working, woo hoo. And the 2nd repair of the drum assembly only took 2 weeks!

So, apparently the zipper thing was the drum. But is says Error Rate Adjustment, Foreign Matter on the repair. I guess that means something was on the head or in the assembly? Weird.

But the camera is once again making pictures. Our dealer got the home office to help us out with this. To speed things up.

Dave
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:30 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty View Post
Our dealer got the home office to help us out with this. To speed things up.
Glad to hear it. Your experience is exactly why we always urge very strongly to get the dealer involved in this process as quickly as possible. Thanks for the report,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM   #14
Major Player

I've always wondered what if your dealer is B & H?
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva View Post
I've always wondered what if your dealer is B & H?
My experience with B&H as a dealer is that they have very competitive prices. :)
Eric Darling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems