DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Problem with my HD110U when connect to Mac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/113301-problem-my-hd110u-when-connect-mac.html)

Xiao Yao January 27th, 2008 07:04 AM

Problem with my HD110U when connect to Mac

I have a Macbook, I connect it to my camcorder with a firewire cable, but my Macbook cannot detect the camcorder. Any idea guys?

Can I use my macbook as a harddisc recorder with firewire?
thankz

Sean Adair January 27th, 2008 09:30 AM

what software are you using? Make sure you follow the steps in the forum sticky so you don't burn out your FW port (turn camera off first!).
The camera has to be set up for proper output, and the software has to be configured for HDV. Search posts first, and make sure you tell us what you've tried. There is a process of logically testing certain things to isolate a problem which you should be able to start yourself. Report what you've tried if there is no success, but I can't tell what you are doing or if you've followed documented steps from the manuals yet...

Xiao Yao January 27th, 2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Adair (Post 815188)
what software are you using? Make sure you follow the steps in the forum sticky so you don't burn out your FW port (turn camera off first!).
The camera has to be set up for proper output, and the software has to be configured for HDV. Search posts first, and make sure you tell us what you've tried. There is a process of logically testing certain things to isolate a problem which you should be able to start yourself. Report what you've tried if there is no success, but I can't tell what you are doing or if you've followed documented steps from the manuals yet...

lol...dude, i guess i just burnt out e firewire port, I feel there is power leakage at the metal parts of the camcorder, like screws. I offed it immediately, i gonna send it for service tomorrow.

Thankz

Sean Adair January 27th, 2008 10:08 AM

sorry to hear that! I hope it isn't so, since it won't necessarily be covered by warranty. Go through that thread for a workflow to test and confirm that the port is indeed blown.

Xiao Yao January 27th, 2008 11:00 AM

I think that's no way to confirm. No smoke, no spark ,no smell. My camcorder still can work on AC cable but it cant work on battery anymore. I will have a "piercing" feeling when touching the metal parts of the cam. 110U looks like a piece of cheap plastic to me now...such things will nvr happen to DSLR, even the entry level ones.

Troy Teuscher January 29th, 2008 09:00 AM

It could be a quicktime problem

If you recently upgraded your quicktime to version 7.3 or 7.4 it could cause capture problems with older versions of final cut pro.

Xiao Yao January 30th, 2008 11:48 AM

Just got my camcorder back from JVC singapore. It works great now, but I dont dare to try the firewire on Mac anymore, I gotta find a PC tomorrow.
Thank for the info, Troy

Xiao Yao January 30th, 2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Teuscher (Post 816484)
If you recently upgraded your quicktime to version 7.3 or 7.4 it could cause capture problems with older versions of final cut pro.

Troy, Is that possible to avoid using firewire on HD110U in the workflow? I have some consumer level sony HDV cam at my workplace.
Thankz

Troy Teuscher January 30th, 2008 02:14 PM

Try this

Try to capture by firewire with iMovie. If it can capture from your camera and you are still having problems with FCP then your problem might not be with your firewire port. It might be from running a new version of quicktime (7.3 or 7.4) with an older version of FCP (5.04 or 5.14)