Problem with my HD110U when connect to Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 27th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Problem with my HD110U when connect to Mac

I have a Macbook, I connect it to my camcorder with a firewire cable, but my Macbook cannot detect the camcorder. Any idea guys?

Can I use my macbook as a harddisc recorder with firewire?
thankz
Xiao Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Major Player

what software are you using? Make sure you follow the steps in the forum sticky so you don't burn out your FW port (turn camera off first!).
The camera has to be set up for proper output, and the software has to be configured for HDV. Search posts first, and make sure you tell us what you've tried. There is a process of logically testing certain things to isolate a problem which you should be able to start yourself. Report what you've tried if there is no success, but I can't tell what you are doing or if you've followed documented steps from the manuals yet...
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
what software are you using? Make sure you follow the steps in the forum sticky so you don't burn out your FW port (turn camera off first!).
The camera has to be set up for proper output, and the software has to be configured for HDV. Search posts first, and make sure you tell us what you've tried. There is a process of logically testing certain things to isolate a problem which you should be able to start yourself. Report what you've tried if there is no success, but I can't tell what you are doing or if you've followed documented steps from the manuals yet...
lol...dude, i guess i just burnt out e firewire port, I feel there is power leakage at the metal parts of the camcorder, like screws. I offed it immediately, i gonna send it for service tomorrow.

Thankz
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Major Player

sorry to hear that! I hope it isn't so, since it won't necessarily be covered by warranty. Go through that thread for a workflow to test and confirm that the port is indeed blown.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #5
New Boot

I think that's no way to confirm. No smoke, no spark ,no smell. My camcorder still can work on AC cable but it cant work on battery anymore. I will have a "piercing" feeling when touching the metal parts of the cam. 110U looks like a piece of cheap plastic to me now...such things will nvr happen to DSLR, even the entry level ones.
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It could be a quicktime problem

If you recently upgraded your quicktime to version 7.3 or 7.4 it could cause capture problems with older versions of final cut pro.
Troy Teuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #7
New Boot

Just got my camcorder back from JVC singapore. It works great now, but I dont dare to try the firewire on Mac anymore, I gotta find a PC tomorrow.
Thank for the info, Troy
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Teuscher View Post
If you recently upgraded your quicktime to version 7.3 or 7.4 it could cause capture problems with older versions of final cut pro.
Troy, Is that possible to avoid using firewire on HD110U in the workflow? I have some consumer level sony HDV cam at my workplace.
Thankz
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Try this

Try to capture by firewire with iMovie. If it can capture from your camera and you are still having problems with FCP then your problem might not be with your firewire port. It might be from running a new version of quicktime (7.3 or 7.4) with an older version of FCP (5.04 or 5.14)
Troy Teuscher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems