DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   What Tape is better for JVC 110U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/121910-what-tape-better-jvc-110u.html)

Carlos Ruz May 18th, 2008 11:34 PM

What Tape is better for JVC 110U

In the last week We use Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ and TOO MANY DROPS, A LOT OF DROPS, what Tape is better performance for the 110U?????. In the case in there is not a JVC SHOP in the area , the las friday we buy in a Turist SHOP, they have a MiniDV tape , but , obviously , no JVC PRO HD TAPE. That is the question.

Ben Lynn May 19th, 2008 06:32 AM

Order some JVC Pro HD stock and you'll notice a difference in the number of drop outs. The correct stock rarely has a hit while other forms take quite a few hits. It's worth the wait for the JVC Pro tape stock.

Steve Oakley May 19th, 2008 10:37 AM

panasonic AMQ works very well for around $7.50 per tape. most consumer tape is bad news, with perhaps the exception of Maxell ( which appears to make JVC brand tape FWIW )

I just got a few JVC consumer tapes, we'll see how well they work. I may be doing some webcast type shooting and if i can get some cheaper tape to work it would be good as its a low paying quickie 1hr job every couple of weeks.

Carlos Rodriguez May 19th, 2008 12:15 PM

I use TDK stock, and it works pretty darn well. I get very few drops compared to other brands, and it's really inexpensive. I also make sure to clean my heads about every 10 hours of use and stick to one type of tape stock.

Joseph A. Benoit May 19th, 2008 12:16 PM

Hello
when i used tape i used PANASONIC AY-DVM60EJ for over 7yrs

I used it for my CANON XL1S/ SONY FX1/ JVC GY HD110

NEVER AND I REPEAT NEVER HAD DROP OUTS

You must stick with one brand

Just My thoughts on the subject

Joe

Alex Humphrey May 19th, 2008 02:43 PM

I've had drop outs with Sony and JVC entry level tapes. maybe 1 per hour. (not to be confused with FCP segmenting issues from phantom drop outs... different thread) but I have a Focusenhancments JVC HD100 DTE drive now mounted on the back of my HD110, havn't looked back since. Basically 90% of what I do, the tape is just backup in case my Hard Drive has an issue (has'nt in 200 hours of use yet) so I just picked up about 80 JVC DVC tapes from K-mart for about 99 cents a piece. It must be a close out as JVC repackages them, or maybe K-mart is dropping JVC as a brand.. but they are fair.. and 99 cents a piece.. I cleane out K-mart. Now for something more high end broadcast/narrative/bigger dollars than local weddings... I shoot JVC ProHD HDV tapes.. Everyone says they are made for the JVC ProHD camcorders and use a different/better lubricant than normal stock tapes.. so $7 a tape for one of those (bought in 10+ bulk price) is fine.

Mark Silva May 19th, 2008 06:25 PM

I used JVC Pro HD tape from day one and the thing still has drop outs.

I switched to Sony HDV tape and have had only 1 drop out since (well over a year)

Carlos Ruz May 20th, 2008 09:03 AM

The Tape

Thanks for the comments, I learn a lot.

Carlos.

Diogo Athouguia May 22nd, 2008 05:18 PM

Never use sony tapes if you use other brands, they have a different type of lubricant. You can switch among JVC, Panasonic or Fuji tapes. Make a search, this subject has been discussed here before.