What Tape is better for JVC 110U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 18th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1
New Boot

What Tape is better for JVC 110U

In the last week We use Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ and TOO MANY DROPS, A LOT OF DROPS, what Tape is better performance for the 110U?????. In the case in there is not a JVC SHOP in the area , the las friday we buy in a Turist SHOP, they have a MiniDV tape , but , obviously , no JVC PRO HD TAPE. That is the question.
Carlos Ruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Order some JVC Pro HD stock and you'll notice a difference in the number of drop outs. The correct stock rarely has a hit while other forms take quite a few hits. It's worth the wait for the JVC Pro tape stock.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Trustee

panasonic AMQ works very well for around $7.50 per tape. most consumer tape is bad news, with perhaps the exception of Maxell ( which appears to make JVC brand tape FWIW )

I just got a few JVC consumer tapes, we'll see how well they work. I may be doing some webcast type shooting and if i can get some cheaper tape to work it would be good as its a low paying quickie 1hr job every couple of weeks.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I use TDK stock, and it works pretty darn well. I get very few drops compared to other brands, and it's really inexpensive. I also make sure to clean my heads about every 10 hours of use and stick to one type of tape stock.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Hello
when i used tape i used PANASONIC AY-DVM60EJ for over 7yrs

I used it for my CANON XL1S/ SONY FX1/ JVC GY HD110

NEVER AND I REPEAT NEVER HAD DROP OUTS

You must stick with one brand

Just My thoughts on the subject

Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Major Player

I've had drop outs with Sony and JVC entry level tapes. maybe 1 per hour. (not to be confused with FCP segmenting issues from phantom drop outs... different thread) but I have a Focusenhancments JVC HD100 DTE drive now mounted on the back of my HD110, havn't looked back since. Basically 90% of what I do, the tape is just backup in case my Hard Drive has an issue (has'nt in 200 hours of use yet) so I just picked up about 80 JVC DVC tapes from K-mart for about 99 cents a piece. It must be a close out as JVC repackages them, or maybe K-mart is dropping JVC as a brand.. but they are fair.. and 99 cents a piece.. I cleane out K-mart. Now for something more high end broadcast/narrative/bigger dollars than local weddings... I shoot JVC ProHD HDV tapes.. Everyone says they are made for the JVC ProHD camcorders and use a different/better lubricant than normal stock tapes.. so $7 a tape for one of those (bought in 10+ bulk price) is fine.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Major Player

I used JVC Pro HD tape from day one and the thing still has drop outs.

I switched to Sony HDV tape and have had only 1 drop out since (well over a year)
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
New Boot

The Tape

Thanks for the comments, I learn a lot.

Carlos.
Carlos Ruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Never use sony tapes if you use other brands, they have a different type of lubricant. You can switch among JVC, Panasonic or Fuji tapes. Make a search, this subject has been discussed here before.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems