jvc gy 111 will not turn on at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

jvc gy 111 will not turn on

It will turn on will ac power but will not turn on with battery power. Quick, urgent, about to shoot wedding. Thanks.Is there a reset or something. I have the pro x power pack on the back but it will not start up with regular little jvc battery eather, only ac power. Please help
Rob Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Rob, check the fuse on the adapter.
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brookes View Post
It will turn on will ac power but will not turn on with battery power. Quick, urgent, about to shoot wedding. Thanks.Is there a reset or something. I have the pro x power pack on the back but it will not start up with regular little jvc battery eather, only ac power. Please help
I hate to tell you that you'll need to send the camera in to be replaced. I already had this happen once. What's happening is that there is a switch inside that switches when you plug in the AC. The switch has gotten suck on AC instead of battery. Only JVC can fix it:(

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Rob,

Look at the end of the AC cable. If the little round yellow plastic isolator ring is missing from the end of the cable that you plug into the camera, it is stuck in the AC jack.

I had the same problem -

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116139

talks you through the solution - but it's a big job. Not for the fainthearted - (not suggesting you are a faint-heart, of course!)

Good luck.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Matthew - for the record, if you are close to a JVC agent you should probably get them to fix it for you. It's about two to three hours to take the camera apart, fix the AC/battery switch, and re-assemble.

But if you haven't got a JVC agent in your neighbourhood, you can do it yourself, with a steady hand, a fine-tipped soldering iron, and a moderate amount of engineering competence.

If the isolating ring from the AC cable is the culprit, you don't need any replacement parts.

Best wishes

Rob Adams
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hi guys

Yes, there is a little yellow piece of the ac power lead in the dc socket of the camera probaly locking the switch onto ac, wow. I gotta go to work now but I am guessing I can remove this myself i hope. I will have a look at the link that Robert sent me but any other suggestions. I can do this myself right, i can see the little yellow trouble maker. This mite be a little problem after all.

thanks Rob
Rob Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Rob, send me an email and I will pdf you the relevant pages from the JVC HD111 repair manual.
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The relevant post from the thread...

It was Viwe Gantsho at Inala Broadcast, the JVC Pro support agency in Johannesburg, who thought of this. Which is just as well, 'cos I'd never have got there on my own.

The socket for the AC adaptor cable has four terminals, two for AC, two for battery. In the middle of the socket is a plastic spring loaded slide that closes the contact for the battery circuit if you plug the AC cable in. After the machine fired up on mains this morning I called Viwe, and he immediately suggested I look at the socket - and sure enough, the yellow plastic isolating ring was missing from the end of the AC cable, and was buried deep in the socket.

It's a big job to remove it. Both sides of the camera off, the battery holder removed, the PS board removed before you can get to the AC board on the RH side. Then you have to de-solder two cables (red and black) on the Terminal board, feed a bundle of cables out through a holding slot in the side. This allows you to remove the AJK board.

The next stage is to de-solder the AC socket from the AJK board, after removing four screws, two internal, and two external by the AC socket. My Serb mate Zoran Kiza who runs a little electronics shop in Harare helped out with this bit, since he's got fine-tip soldering irons and a decent magnifier. You need both of them.

Once the AC socket is removed, you can turn the centre pin through 90 degrees and remove it, and with a judicious application of fiddle can then remove the piece of plastic which is holding the battery circuit contacts apart.

Then all you have to do is put the whole damn thing back together again, making sure that all cables are not trapped when you reassemble the body.
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

fixed?

Hey Rob, did you manage to fix the camera? or did you take it to JVC to do the work? There's been at least one, possibly two more cases of this problem since your camera died. I think JVC should have a serious look at this and come up with a fix.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

JVc problem fixed

Sorry for the slow response guys. I had an old tech around the corner fix the problem. I noticed there was the little yellow insulator ring missing from my ac power and on closer inspection could see the yellow ring in the camera plug. My tech just broke it up with a small tool and some serious magnifying glasses and finito, only cost me $30.00

I lucked out, the yellow insulator had jammed the swithch to ac and would not allow dc.

Thanks for your help and interest, see you next problem
Rob Brookes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems