Thinking out side the Square (tapeless capture) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Thinking out side the Square (tapeless capture)

Hello,

I have a question,

If i buy a high speed Fire wire (800) Card reader and a 16 or 32 gig card, will it work if i plug it in to the firewire port on the HD 201 camers and try to record to it.

Lexar - Flash memory card readers - Pro CF Reader

Just a question.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:42 AM   #2
Wrangler

Unfortunately no. There needs to be some sort of intermediate DOS to write the m2t stream to the card.

JVC showed a mock-up of the MR-HD200U at NAB08 using SD cards but I haven't heard any news about it since.

JVC News Release - MR-HD200
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

MR Hd 200

Will this unit be able to record from the Hd SDI conection or is it just like the HD 100 and record only DV and HDV, through the firewire port. I would like to record uncompressed with my HD 250. Are there any cost predictions.
John Thomason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thomason View Post
Will this unit be able to record from the Hd SDI conection or is it just like the HD 100 and record only DV and HDV, through the firewire port. I would like to record uncompressed with my HD 250. Are there any cost predictions.
The JVC unit is a mpeg2 stream recorder.
It sounds like you are looking for either Convergent-Design's Flash XDR or NanoFlash for lossless mpeg2 encoding from HD-SDI using intraframe compression (no GOP.)
Download the uncompressed vs intraframe mpeg2 high bitrate sample from the website. They ran a difference filter in photoshop to detect possible compression artifacts and the two are indistinguishable.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Dam,

Well lets hope some one smart can write some code or software to add to the card.

Thanks any way tim.
Rob.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
The JVC unit is a mpeg2 stream recorder.
It sounds like you are looking for either Convergent-Design's Flash XDR or NanoFlash for lossless mpeg2 encoding from HD-SDI using intraframe compression (no GOP.)
Download the uncompressed vs intraframe mpeg2 high bitrate sample from the website. They ran a difference filter in photoshop to detect possible compression artifacts and the two are indistinguishable.
If they're indistinguishable, then what's the point? It would just mean the uncompressed will hog up more flash storage space. Doesn't it make more sense to convert to uncompressed in the computer? Not in a portable flash drive with limited space?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
If they're indistinguishable, then what's the point?
The point is that mpeg2 at 100+mbps intraframe takes up way less space then uncompressed but yields basically the same quality. That's what makes the Flash XDR an ideal product for those looking for uncompressed quality to cheap & large CF cards. Flash memory wouldn't be able to handle the bitrate of HD uncompressed.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
The point is that mpeg2 at 100+mbps intraframe takes up way less space then uncompressed but yields basically the same quality. That's what makes the Flash XDR an ideal product for those looking for uncompressed quality to cheap & large CF cards. Flash memory wouldn't be able to handle the bitrate of HD uncompressed.
Oh, didn't see that part about 100mbps. Thought you were talking about the flavor that records to mini dv tape.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi tim,
What type of Tapless do you recommend, i will still always capture to tape, the tapeless capture it would be used for a quick capture to my laptop for a same day edit. (now that we have Clipwrap) I have a HD201.

Thanks Rob
PS I will not use it all the time so there fore did not want to send to many $$

Old August 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
What type of Tapless do you recommend?
Personally I like DR-HD100 because it works well and it very versatile (can be used in SD DV and HDV with any camera.) I use one all the time and the current firmware is solid. I haven't had the opportunity to try the FS-4 HD Pro (which is practically identical.)

I haven't used any of the other options in a day-to-day production environment.
nNovia products look promising but I'm not sure how they are priced. Josh Chesarek has done a first-impression review here Review: nNovia QuickCapture HD and Small Camera Mount by Josh Chesarek
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
nNovia products look promising but I'm not sure how they are priced. Josh Chesarek has done a first-impression review here Review: nNovia QuickCapture HD and Small Camera Mount by Josh Chesarek
I prices out the QC HD 120 gig model (fixed drive) with a V mount kit. It was priced at $1020 through my local dealer. This is cheaper than the Firestore.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #12
Major Player

tim, can you tell use how many minutes the fat32 2gb limit on clips amounts to? I'm seriously favoring the dr hd100's slim design v.s. the bulky nNovia qc hd.
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Kim View Post
tim, can you tell use how many minutes the fat32 2gb limit on clips amounts to? I'm seriously favoring the dr hd100's slim design v.s. the bulky nNovia qc hd.
Just over 10 minutes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems