Excited about upgrading to the JVC GYHD200. Have ?'s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Excited about upgrading to the JVC GYHD200. Have ?'s

I'm very excited about potentially upgrading to this camera. I've narrowed my search between the GYHD200 and the Canon XL-H1a. I'm currently using a DVX100. so i'm thinking this will be a pretty big step.

A few questions.... When I'm searching this camera on B&H there a lot of different model numbers that I cant seem to understand. there's the GYHD200, GYHD200U, GYHD200BXT for example. What do all these numbers mean. Is this just the package kit that B&H offers or are these upgraded model numbers?

Is this camera a lot harder or even impossible to get pretty decent movable shots? IE walking with the camera and following a subject. I use a smaller camera now with the fig rig and my shots are pretty steady. Just curious.......

I hear the that the battery life isn't good. I plan on buying the anton bauer batteries... I couldn't find anywhere how long the battery lasts....

I watched a great video on vimeo about the HM700 series (what a nice camera). In this video they recommended the canon 14x lens over the Fujinon. There currently isn't a kit for the HD200 with the canon lens at B&H so i'm thinking if I went this route I might have to piece everything together.

I know, a lot of questions... But i'm excited to get some answers.

steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Major Player

I'll take anything.... any info. even if you just walked by it somewhere on a shoot. I only know what i've read on the internet and pictures i've seen.

steve
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
I'll take anything.... any info. even if you just walked by it somewhere on a shoot. I only know what i've read on the internet and pictures i've seen.

steve
Hi Stephen

I have used the 201E (E -European model) for the last few years and think it's a geat camera. In regard to your question about it being steady -I doubt it can be used with the fig rig, however as a shoulder mounted camera you can achieve some good steady shots. I recently completed a feature film which included long POV shots involving walking, running and fighting.... and I found it excellent for these, as well as the more traditional locked off shots etc (you can see the trailer at YouTube - Ambleton Delight Official Trailer #2 HD Version). But I recommend getting your hands on one and seeing if it is for you, as it is quite different from the DVX100...
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parkes View Post
Hi Stephen

I have used the 201E (E -European model) for the last few years and think it's a geat camera. In regard to your question about it being steady -I doubt it can be used with the fig rig, however as a shoulder mounted camera you can achieve some good steady shots. I recently completed a feature film which included long POV shots involving walking, running and fighting.... and I found it excellent for these, as well as the more traditional locked off shots etc (you can see the trailer at YouTube - Ambleton Delight Official Trailer #2 HD Version). But I recommend getting your hands on one and seeing if it is for you, as it is quite different from the DVX100...
Dan.

What a great response, just what I was looking for. I don't plan on using it with my fig rig. But it's great to hear that you had pretty good results with it shoulder mounted.
Thanks for the input

Steve
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
I hear the that the battery life isn't good. I plan on buying the anton bauer batteries... I couldn't find anywhere how long the battery lasts....
AB Dionic 90's last 4 - 5 hours brand new, depending on how much zooming etc. you do.

When you refer to the battery life not being good, I THINK you may be talking about the HD1xx series which ship with small JVC branded batteries. The HD2xx series ship with nominal 12v mounts (usually Anton Bauer in North America and I BELIEVE IDX in Europe).

The 14x is PROBABLY in short supply right now so sourcing it individually will likely be a problem, at least in the short term. The Fuji 17x5 is a much superior lens to the stock 16x but I own 2 HD200Ub's with the 16x lenses and I'm getting by just fine. Yes, absolutely, I want to get the 13x wide and probably the 17x for better and more diversified lens options but the stock lens isn't AWFUL (it's just BAD IF you're really looking).
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The other thing to keep in mind is: have you ever worked with a shoulder cam with a pro bayonet mount lens before? The Fuji (and 14x Canon) lenses are non-autofocus.
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
The other thing to keep in mind is: have you ever worked with a shoulder cam with a pro bayonet mount lens before? The Fuji (and 14x Canon) lenses are non-autofocus.
Shuan...

Nope, this will be my first time. I want an upgrade that'll actually change the way I shoot. Another aspect to the game. I'm aware that there isn't an autofocus and will take some time to get used too. But I'm looking forward to increasing my camera skills. After all it will be nice to have footage where the focus isn't hunting.

B&H is selling kits with the cannon 14X. If I'm able to piece together my own kit and it's in my budget. Would you go with that one over the stock lens?

Steve
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Really? A 200 with the 14x? Cool.

The big question is: How do shoot? Not only is the lens wider but the zoom is shorter (common with wide angle lenses) so if you do a lot of compressed telephoto stuff, it may not be the best solution for you. However if you routinely work in tight quarters, it's a bargain, as far as wide angle lenses go.
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Really? A 200 with the 14x? Cool..

No there selling it with the 700 series.... I didn't think there would be a difference though.
I think the shorter wider lens will work well for me... Hopefully I can make it work!

steve
Old July 12th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Stephen.
The HD200 is an excellent camera. You will not be disappointed.

I used to own a DVX100 before I bought the HD200. The transition was somewhat steep as I had never used a pro camera with an interchangeable lens before. The stock lens is not as bad as many people want it to be, but it has its limitations. it is not as wide as I would like it to be, so I am saving up to buy the 13x.

However, I have sold my HD200 now, mainly because I needed to cameras and got a great deal when I picked up my HD111s. I financed them by selling my HD200.

Today I am saving up to buy an HM700 as well. I very much like the Pro HD range and have also invested in the BR-HD50 recorder.

I never realized it`s full potential before I bought the Training DVD by Tim Dashwood which will definately give you a good insight on the camera, the menus and different scene files.

Svein Rune

The Canon lens seems to be a great option
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Svien....

The 200 looks like an awesome camera and the 700 series even better, so I hope it works out for you.

I'll look into the training DVD. I know there a lot of scene files you can choose. I cant wait to play around with it all.

How is the DOF? Is it any better then what a fixed lens camera would produce, or about the same? I know that it all has to do with chip size and focal length. But from the test shots i've seen it looks to be a little better then my setup now (dvx100).

Steve
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Stephen: there is no magic with the 200 and DOF. UNLESS you factor in that it is not a leader in light sensitivity and therefore requires the iris to be opened more to get the same exposure compared to faster cameras, which in turn will affect DOF.
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Major Player

Thats what I thought... Thanks for answering my ? so soon by the way.

I'm a little worried that everyone keeps mentioning that it's not a low light performer. I film wedding, so it's somewhat important to me. My DVX100 is not a top low light performer either (3lux min open with 18db). This camera sounds perfect for me as long as it's reasonably comparable to the low light sensitivity as my DVX.

Steve
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #14
Major Player

Stephen.
I see Shaun has already given you an excellent answer to your DOF question.

My first reaction when diving into the world of HDV was the disappointment when it came to low light performance. But after having seen the aforemetioned DVD by Tim and using his preset for low light I am now very, very happy indeed. The first camera I tried was the very much hyped up Sony Z1. Very bad low light performance compared to the DVX100.

I have done a few weddings myself and do a lot of live- stuff under no controllable light what so ever, so I definately know how frustrating it can be when the lighting is poor. My advice to you would be to invest in an on- board camera light at the same time as you purchase your camera. You can easily run the light on the D-Tap plug.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #15
Inner Circle

And to return the favour: Svein is bang on. The Lowlight file is stored on my SD card as well as in camera memory. And I mounted an Anton Bauer UltraLight 2 with 20w 35 degree beam and Dichroic and wide angle filters on the camera. No regrets (although in MY situation, dimmable would have been nice too - just didn't want to spend the extra cash at the time).

My STANDARD file is a modification of the Ultrawide preset that works a bit better for MY needs but it provides an EXCELLENT starting point to provide wide gamut for grading in post (ALL my material gets graded - I don't allow ANY camera raw out of my edit bay).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems