Excited about upgrading to the JVC GYHD200. Have ?'s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #16
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Stephen,

Looks like alot of your questions have been answered. Let me see if I can assist as well.

BH does provide various packages. These packages are generally packaged from JVC and some are BH specific which they simply take various products, put them together and call it a package.

JVC currently offers the following product codes/packages

GYHD200CHUB which is the HD200 camera, NO LENS, Viewfinder, Microphone, SD Memory Card, and ABTRIMPACPKG2 which includes an Anton Bauer Trimpac14 battery and the Tandem70 Single Position Charger/Power Supply

GYHD200UB which inludes the Fujinon Th16x5.5BRMU Lens, Viewfinder, Mic Holder, Microphone, SD Memory Card, ABTRIMPACPKG2

GYHD200CB17PS which includes the HD200 Camcorder Head, 16:9 LCD Viewfinder, Mic Holder, Microphone, SD Memory Card, Fujinon Th17x5BRM Fujinon Lens, KA551 Tripod Plate Adapter, FABTRIMPACPKG2 Anton-Bauer battery and charger/adapter, DRHD100GB100 hard disk drive, ABFSKIT3 mounting solution for the HDD.
(This is a Great Package)

They also offer two more packages which include the SxS Media Recorder.
If you would like more info on these, let me know. However, at this point, it does not sound like you require this.

Here at Tapeworks, I generally like to discuss the base camcorder options with the client to determine which one will best fit their budget and application. Always making sure that the client realizes that there are addditional accessories needed dependant upon the application.

This brings us to your questions concerning the lens options and battery options.

For the lens, the base kit GYHD200UB ships with the 16X lens which fits a budget. However, there are definitely better options available.

The new 14X lens which is packaged with JVC's New GYHM700U can only be purchased with the HM700. At this point and time, the 14X lens can not be purchased separately from JVC or from Canon. Given time, I am sure that it will be available.

If you can spring the cash and purchase the kit with the Fuji 17X lens, this lens, optically speaking, performs better than the 16X

And, there is always the option of purchasing the kit without lens and then buying the Fuji 13X wide angle, Fuji 18X, or the Canon 20x. All of those lenses will cost more than the base price you pay for the camcorder so be ready to spend some money.

Concerning the Battery. JVC ships their ProHD Camcorders with an Anton Bauer mount.
If the client already uses V-Mount style (IDX or Sony), options are available by purchasing an AB to V-mount adaptor.
In your case, I believe you are not already using V-mount or AB batteries, so the easiest method is to go with Anton Bauer. Besides, Tapeworks is a direct dealer for AB and I can tell you they are a great company to work with. Their customer service is superb.

As noted earlier, camcorder packages come with the TrimPac14 Nickel Cadmium Battery with 14.4V/45 WH. This battery should run the HD200 for 2 - 2.5 hrs depending upon how much you use the LCD, if you have onboard lighting drawing from the batt etc.
For additional batteries, you have choices of any of the AB lineup Anton/Bauer - The Worldwide Standard
I always suggest the Dionic90 Lithium-Ion Battery with 14.4V/90 WH
The Dionic90 costs $395.00 from Tapeworks Texas which of course is more than the Trimpac14. However, you will have longer runtime (5-6hr) and plenty of power to operate accessories (ligting etc)

To answer your question "Is this camera a lot harder or even impossible to get pretty decent movable shots?"
I would say it is easier than say, a DVX100 withuot a fig rig
The Shoulder mount style of the HD200 is alot easier IMHO to use as a run and gun ENG style camera than the handheld style of the DVX
As already mentioned, you will need to play with the camera and learn focus techniques.
Tim Dashwood's Complete Guide to JVC's ProHD DVD is an awesome training tool!
Tapeworks stocks these DVD's and readily has them available to purchase for anyone using JVC ProHD camcorders!

And lastly I would like to offer some input on lighting.
HD needs light. That is simply the nature of the beast. More data is having to be processed, therefore more light needs to be available than you would need for your SD DV camcorders.
The Anton Bauer UL2 is an option which can be purchased with a Powertap providing power from your onboard AB Battery (there is a PT output from the back of the camcorder)
Here are a couple other options I always recommend
LitePanels LPMicro
LitePanels MICROPRO
Switronix TL-50
Bescor LED35
And you can always take a look at Frezzi products, they may be pricey, but have some of the best filaments in the market IMHO.

I believe that answers most of your questions. Please feel free to contact me Toll Free 866-827-3489 if I can assist further.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by Scott Cantrell; July 17th, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #17
Major Player

Scott...

Sorry it's taken so long to write a response. I'm definitely grateful for all the detailed information.
I ended up buying the camera with 2 dionic 90's and with one trimpac. It should all get here sometime tomorrow (tuesday). I guess thats when all the real questions will have to be asked :-)

Thanks again...
Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #18
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Stephen,

Glad to hear that you got your camera! Please contact me at anytime if I can assist with anything.

-Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems