Tiny NAB Gy-hd100u Report at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 19th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tiny NAB Gy-hd100u Report

Tiny Nab Gy-hd100u Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wanted to let you know that a friend of mine was at NAB yesterday and went to the jvc booth and he looked at the JVC GY-HD100U.

Simply put, he said that the GY-HD100U had beautiful images. Stunning 24fps quality. Great lens etc. Very professional feeling camera. The playback was on a HD CRT monitor and of city footage, night and day. Lots of motion. No artifacts and he was blown away by the night footage too. My friend is in the middle of editing a film shot with cinealta. So he has been knee deep in footage at that level of quality. He said that the JVC looked Cinalta like.

Also Adam Wilt was in the booth and he was amazed that it was artifact free and so clean. So kudos to JVC. The GY-HD100U and a firestore/hard-drive, you will be ready to go. That's all I have to offer, hope it was good info for you.

michael pappas

Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Contributor

Good info, indeed. This camera looks very nice so far from all I've read.
The only HDV camera I've seen in person is the Sony. I've seen the camera as well as the demo DVD, and I should point out that I didn't see any funky artifacts with it either. Of course in a sales DVD you wouldn't use any shots that had them, but there was a really good variety of shots with plenty of motion.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Very cool.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm at NAB. I have handled the camera extensively off and on for the past two days. The footage from it is stunning! JVC has a proprietary motion filter that eliminates excess judder in 24p and 30p. Motion is clean! Chroma is rich. As to the question about the 16x lens width at full wide, it is 5.5. There is also a .8x zoom through wide converter that goes on the front of the 16x lens. They didn't have one to demo, but price for the wide converter was estimated to be around $800. The 13x lens is superb. It is 13 x 3.7, as I remember. Yeah, it costs $6k or so, but if you are doing serious documentaries, indie films, music videos, etc, it would be real nice to have. The camera has a sliding shoulder rest to help it achieve a balance on your shoulders. You can lock it down when you find the best position. They have setups with an Anton Bauer battery and also an IDX Endura battery. Camera balance is excellent. Even with the bigger batteries, the entire package weighs about 7 pounds. Light enough for serious "run 'n gun", but large enough to shoulder comfortable. The Firestore FS-4 was mounted on one of the cameras.

This appears to be a serious contender for nearly any genre of 720p production: hardlined to a truck, ENG-style, documentaries, indies, travel, business video, and on and on...

My background is national television, in the areas of adventure travel, alternative sports, music, lifestyle, and documentaries. From what I've seen of the HD100, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one...
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Trustee

Steve, thanks for that info. How do you really think the image holds up re artifacting with the MPG2 codec. This is what a lot of people gripe about, me included, but I haven't had much chance to look at HDV footage before and of course, no chance to see progressive.

Aaron
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Wrangler

The only bad thing I can say about the new camera from JVC is the lack of a wide/zoom rocker up on the handle. I got to try out the focus assist. It will give you a b/w vf image until you focus on the object and then it turns a blue/yellow color. Different, but effective.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Major Player

I've seen alot of HDV footage from the FX1, Z1, and HD10. The footage from the HD100 looks very different from any HDV footage I've seen before. Smoother, more "filmic", better chroma saturation, etc. The footage I viewed had motion of cars going by. I noticed very few MPEG-2 artifacts. Also, in fast pans the camera seems to hold resolution well, especially in 30p. I can't wait to get my hands on it for a trial run in my style of shooting. I feel that it will make an excellent mobile production camera for MANY applications. I feel that outfitted with a good tripod, matte box, follow focus, lights, Steadycam, wireless mic, etc., it will work real well as a more stationary styles of production.

In the hands of a good DP, this camera will rock!
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks, Steve and Michael. Good to hear these subjective reactions to the JVC cam.
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #9
Major Player

No worries. I'll be at NAB all day tomorrow. If anyone wants objective answers to tech questions about the HD100, or subjective impressions about the "look" of some feature of the camera, post them here tonight and I'll try to get some answers posted tomorrow evening.

Glad to help!
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #10
JVC Regional Sales Engineer

The camera all the way to the left of the HD area has the planned optional handle zoom control. There wasn't room "within" the handle so it is in an module next to the handle that I think mounts to the viewfinder bracket and connect tot he bottom of the lens. It is under $200 but I don't know if it is under $150.
kfreed@jvc.com
Ken Freed JVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #11
Inner Circle

One of the things I'm hearing is what I expected. JVC will make the best looking HDV video within the 4:2:0 spec. Similar to what they did with DV.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #12
Go Cycle

JVC makes excellent cameras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
One of the things I'm hearing is what I expected. JVC will make the best looking HDV video within the 4:2:0 spec. Similar to what they did with DV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems