Upgrade Wishlist (updated with HD200/250 results) - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM   #91
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The press releases are pretty clear that the HD250 for $8995 DOES NOT come with a lens. The HD200 at $7995 does.
Is this still true Carl?
Keith & Tim,

As of last week, the idea was that the GY-HD200U would be packaged with a 16X lens, like the GY-HD100U.

With the GY-HD250U, we anticipate that many will be sold in full studio configuration. Many of those customers will want longer lenses, so the thought is that the GY-HD250U will be sold as "head only" , and possibly in several package choices, similar to how we do it with the GY-DV550U.

This has not all been finalized yet.
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM   #92
Capt. Quirk

C'mon Carl... throw us a lens? Maybe a Super 16 even??
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #93
Regular Crew

As far as battery mounts go it's worth pointing out that PAG is also an option and is as popular in the UK as anything else, fitting your own choice of Cells via an adaptor is by far the best option in my books, keeps everyone happy.
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:29 AM   #94
New Boot

4:3 Monitors in 16:9

We have 3 nice Sony 8020 field monitors without a 16:9 switch setting.
Dave B[/QUOTE]

Can you still get 4:3 converted to 16:9, or has that long gone out of fashion? There used to be a co in UK doing it.
Richard Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #95
Trustee

I would like the next versions to have a way to connect 2 monitors to it. A real S-video or component out would help. As it is, the composite together with Y from component seems like a stupid idea and a engineering failure. Maybe it's just me, but I'm used o shooting with big pro cameras and they all have video and camera out.
Also 2 zebras settings is the way to go. I like to have one zebra set at over 100% and the second set at around 70%-80%. If you could at least assign the zebra functions to the custom keys, it would work. But one zebra only is really a limitation. Most if not all pro cameras have 2 zebras.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #96
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
I would like the next versions to have a way to connect 2 monitors to it. A real S-video or component out would help. As it is, the composite together with Y from component seems like a stupid idea and a engineering failure. Maybe it's just me, but I'm used o shooting with big pro cameras and they all have video and camera out.
Michael, please keep in mind that at the price point of the GY-HD100U, it's not possible to include a large choice of output connectors.

The new GY-HD250U will have a separate composite video and component video output, so you could feed two monitors at once. It will have many other additional connectors and features. These nice things will all come at a higher price, of course. But, still it will probably cost less than the "big pro cameras."

Regards, Carl
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #97
Trustee

Really? Just the addition of a separated composite connection would be that expensive? I would have never guessed. I thought the matter was most likely of lack of space rather than cost. I'm not asking for HD-SDI. I recognize it's unrealistic for this price level. But I would never have guessed a composite would be out as well.
How about the zebra?

Thanks for jumping in by the way.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #98
Major Player

Better EVF

at the moment, I shoot live concert type material. I know theres a flipout lcd, but it's susceptive to being broken off if one were to hit it too many times whilst squeezing between equipment and performers onstage. And the reason I say this, the current viewfinder has a matte type ring around the outside of the viewfinder which makes the image too small to shoot with the camera from the hip. And I know all things being considered that this is all done at a certain price point, but without adding too much to the cost, maybe a fliptop evf like the xhl1's, with a larger/higher res lcd. I know that its been brought before in this thread, but I don't know if it addressed the hip shooting problem as such.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #99
Trustee

An easy solution for this is adding a bigger LCD with an Israeli arm on the top. Since you only need it for framing any cheap will do. You can buy new ones for under 50 bucks on Ebay.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:49 AM   #100
Major Player

Has this wish been posted already?

Add an optional waveform overlay to the image so we can easily see if we are clipping whites or blacks. Or even a histogram would be useful.

I've considered carting around a WF/VS but so far, we've used zebras, but they are only so good.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #101
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
We can't take all the credit because JVC does have its own consultants. However, as we had hoped, it was confirmed to me at NAB that representatives from JVC consulted our wishlist thread for inspiration and implemented some of our ideas into the new 200/250 models. It looks to me like at least 50% of our most popular requests were added.

Some features we asked for in this thread that I know will be in the HD250 are:
  • BNC connectors
  • SDI OUT
  • Timecode IN/OUT plus GENLOCK for slaving multiple cameras
  • 720P60 encoding/recording to HDV tape (also on HD200)
  • Image Inversion for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.) (also on HD200)
  • Studio 26-pin configuration (KY-HD250 Studio Adapter) with remote CCU control
  • Higher capacity battery included as standard (A/B mount is now standard on HD250)
  • RCA audio out instead of the 1/8" jack
  • 4-pin XLR battery connector

There are a few suggestions that were not mentioned in the press release, so we probably won't know if any of these have been included until the camera's release.
  • LCD & EVF active at the same time option
  • TC Preset and LOAD SCENE FILE assignable as USER BUTTONS
  • Burn-In Visual TC on Video Output (this is really important to me!!!!)
  • PCM 48Khz recording in HDV mode (as described in the brochures as ProHD XE)
  • 4x3 SD compatible output with letterboxing instead of anamorphic only
  • 2nd set of zebra stripes for black level clipping
  • Denser built in ND filters.

Since NAB I have been thinking alot about other features I would love to see in the HD250 that cater to a filmmaker with a film background. Here they are:
  • 20P or 22P frame rate (I undercrank these frame rates all the time on film for fight/stunt action and I think it would be quite easy to implement a 2:1 pulldown for 20P - I'm not sure about 22P.)
  • Graphical representation of gamma response curve as you adjust the settings. This would help people understand how the curve is affected as they make adjustments.
  • Film camera style shutter ANGLE mode (along with STEP or VARIABLE) that is locked to the frame rate. For example, 180° would be the default, and therefore 1/48th when shooting at 24P, but would automatically switch to 1/120 when shooting 60P. Other popular shutter angles would be 11.2°, 22.5°, 30°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°, 105°, 120°, 135°, 144°, 172.8° and possibly even 360°. I think Panasonic put something like this in the HVX200.
  • WB tweaking in 100K intervals. This would be a great feature that would negate the use of warm cards or cool cards.
  • ND filter indications in standard log format (ND3, ND6)
The only problem is charging $2k extra!!! That is now a $9k list camera.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #102
Obstreperous Rex

For the features included, $9K is truly a bargain, plus it's competitively priced against the Canon XL H1. There's nothing wrong with the price compared to the list of features.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #103
Trustee

most of those feature would be *software*...

I'd really kill to be able to dial in WB in 100deg amounts because sometimes the camera just own't white balance where you want for best picture. the other day, outside, it was balancing at 4300k, and it was too warm, I needed 6500. I finally tricked the camera by finding a jacket of the right shade. I have found the camera will WB off of many surfaces that older cameras wouldn't off.
I've also notice that the camera tends to balance at 3200,4300,5200,6500 and 8000. while having 4300 is nice, I sure wish I could dial that in via the menu when I shoot tungesten and want to go for a warmer look. it would also be so handy when trying to get a WB outdoors and you wanted to go a little warmer or cooler than what the camera was giving you.

now you can go into the R and B paint menu items an play, but not really convienent, and too easy to forget about, giving you some whacked shots on the next setup and you waste time figuring out you left those things changed from 0.

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems