Mounting the Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 5th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Tourist

Mounting the Lens

I just purchased the JVC hd100 and have been lurking here for a few days to learn what I can in anticipation of it's arrival. I'm sure I'll have a number of questions regarding the camera in the future and thank you all in advance for your patient replies.

My first question is regarding mounting the lense. When I turn the mounting ring to lock the lens in place the ring only cranks maybe half the way back to the position it rest at with no lens. Is the mount ring supposed to crank all the way back to the position it is in without a lens when you have the lens on the camera? I'm a still photographer and swapping lenses on my Nikkon just feels different than on this JVC. The mounting ring gets tight but doesn't seem to lock in place like I'm used to with my SLR. Thanks.

Richard
Richard Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

That's the way it works. It just uses friction.

Just FYI, if it seems funny, it's the way full size B4 mounts work on full size SD/HD cams, and even how PL and Panavision mounts work on 35mm motion picture cams (even though PL and Pana mounts are WAY bigger).
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Nate. Just wanted to make sure it was snug. It seems that there is a lot of pressure put on that connection especially when handling the camera as a shoulder mount (putting it on and off your shoulder etc.) I suppose I should develop a technique when hoisting to my shoulder that uses the handle and not the hand grip on the lens itself.
Richard Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Wrangler

From what I can tell ENG cameras are designed to take the stress. My background though is in film cameras in which you would not stress the mount like that...

But on the other hand, if you decide you want to be careful like you mention, I suspect you'll be able to go longer between backfocus adjustments.
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Major Player

A technique I use would be to lift the camera by the handle with your left hand while dipping your right shoulder to get under the pad at the bottom of the camera. Not for those with bad rotator cuffs.

As Nate suggested, try not to put so much stress on the mount. It's built to take abuse, but it isn't as robust as a film cam.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Inner Circle

After a while you'll find 2 things

1) the lens mount is actually pretty strong-stronger than one might think but I agree-it's not made to hit baseballs with ;-)

2) the easiest way to lift a shoulder mount camera is from the top handle with your left hand-swing it onto your shoulder and as you do so you place your right hand into the lens grip and your left hand onto the lens itself.
After a while it becomes 2nd nature and you cando it very quickly-just be careful-I sometimes whack the side of my head with the camera body-I get a bit too quick bringing it up. I would also guess that since the HD100 is only about 7-9 pounds you could fling it around pretty good so again watch yourself. We don't need any head injuries;-O

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #7
Capt. Quirk

I also grab the top handle, then stuff my hand into the lens strap as I swing it over my shoulder. I have to stuff my hand in, in order to reach the controls just right. I must have stubby fingers...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems