DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   LCD monitor HELP! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/52345-lcd-monitor-help.html)

Troy Pousardien October 6th, 2005 04:01 PM

LCD monitor HELP!

I just got my HD100 last night [stayed up 'till 1AM playing with it. However, I can't get the flip-out LCD monitor to work. What givse? The viewfinder works fine. I know there are about a million options and settigns for the beauitul camera, but I figured that when you open the door up, it would come on, like most cameras today. Am I missing something?

Yes, I'm in Camera mode (not VTR mode), yes the lens cover is off and the iris is open. I've tried adjusting the LCD brightness to no avail, and set the menu option for MAX. I've gone through every menu option I can think of and just can't get the LCD to work. Do I need to send back this wonderful camera that I've been wating 4 months to get?

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2005 04:20 PM

Press the DISPLAY button, for about 2 sec. It's on the top of the camera just behind the handle. That should toggle the camera between the EVF and LCD (see page 19 in the operator's manual).

Jiri Bakala October 6th, 2005 04:21 PM

Check page 27 of the manual, "CONTROLS, INDICATORS AND CONNECTORS". It explains how to switch back and forth between the LCD and VF. Use the 'Display' button.

Sean Livingstone October 6th, 2005 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Pousardien
Do I need to send back this wonderful camera that I've been wating 4 months to get?

I think so, I don't recall and settings in the menus to disable the LCD Screen, should just come on wher you opent it up.

Jiri Bakala October 6th, 2005 04:22 PM

Ah, Chris beat me to it... :-)

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2005 04:23 PM

Simultaneous posts -- jinx!

Troy Pousardien October 6th, 2005 05:03 PM

Yes, I did hold the button for 2 seconds. I tried that 18 times! I think it is defective. Darn. If you think of anything else, let me know, otherwise, thanks for trying.

Tim Dashwood October 6th, 2005 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Pousardien
Yes, I did hold the button for 2 seconds. I tried that 18 times! I think it is defective. Darn. If you think of anything else, let me know, otherwise, thanks for trying.

Are the last three digits of your camera serial number 171?
I had the same problem on one of my first HD100s that I took back. It worked for the first hour, and then the next day I turned it on and the LCD didn't work. I just wonder if that bad unit has been put back in rotation without being repaired?

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2005 08:04 PM

Looks like it's time to call your dealer, Troy! Let us know how it goes,

John Mitchell October 6th, 2005 10:43 PM

have you tried toggling the physical switch - it's just a pushbutton that operates as you open an close the door - maybe the contact's are dirty. otherwise it's back to JVC...

Troy Pousardien October 6th, 2005 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Are the last three digits of your camera serial number 171?
I had the same problem on one of my first HD100s that I took back. It worked for the first hour, and then the next day I turned it on and the LCD didn't work. I just wonder if that bad unit has been put back in rotation without being repaired?

Nope. My last three digits are 401. Different s/n. Guess I'll use it this weekend then send it back next week. Just my luck!

Troy Pousardien October 6th, 2005 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell
have you tried toggling the physical switch - it's just a pushbutton that operates as you open an close the door - maybe the contact's are dirty. otherwise it's back to JVC...

Yes. I thought of that, too. However, nothing seems to work. Back to the vendor it goes, it goes.

Troy Pousardien October 20th, 2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Looks like it's time to call your dealer, Troy! Let us know how it goes,

Got the new replacement camera this past Saturday. The LCD monitor works as I thought it would. 0000 Fan hours and 0000 Drum hours. I'm back in business.

Michael Steeves August 22nd, 2006 09:13 PM

Hey all,
It looks as if I have the same problem.
However, I have shot over 50 hours worth of footage before this happened.
This is also my second time around with the HD-100. The first one worked for a few hours, and then I couldn't even turn on the camera at all, it just died. So I returned it, and got another new HD-100 (this one) and now the LCD screen is totally blacked out. I tried all the advice listed above, and nothing will get the picture back... The eye viewfinder works fine, which is good because I have a shoot coming up this weekend, and I don't have time to fool around with this crap. Man, for an $8000.00 dollar camera, I would expect much better than this. As you can tell, I'm a little bit upset about this...
Thanks for listening.
As you were.
Michael

Tim Dashwood August 22nd, 2006 09:30 PM

Michael,

I'm sending you an email with contact info for the HD100 engineer in Toronto. I had this happen once too. It is probably a bad internal connection with the flip-out.