Real Slomo With The Hd100u ?? How Does It Work? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 16th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #16
Major Player

David,

To answer you underlying question: just trying to look for different, attainable, less expensive way to do this craft. I think this is the beauty of this type of discussions and the main foucus of this forum: somebody post a question, many more add their opinions and inputs, and sometimes, just sometimes, a very inexpensive, simple out of the blue solution works for everybody without spending tons of money so we can be more competitive in our business.

I think there are many more like me in this forum that are trying very hard to continue to be in this business because we love it, and to feel like we can somehow add value to the discussion without talking about buying extra equipment that cost THOUSAND of dollars, and at the same time stimulate the search of using different ways to achieve as close as possible what others can only do because they have unlimited resource.

Hopefully that will help to explain what I am trying to achieve...

Respectfully,

Luis Otero

BTW: in the blog you talk about a capture interface. Is this in Prospect HD only, or can I find it in Aspect HD? I just cannot find it...
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I only asked because the thread is titled "Real Slomo With The HD100U...", but off course low costs alternatives make prefect sense.

The control panel on the blog is within Prospect HD as this is a real-time HD-SDI capture interface.
Old December 16th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #18
Major Player

See for my budget/needs its really one shot that NEEDS to be smooth slo-mo... I think I’m actually going to try and borrow a capture card from others so I don’t have to spend $4,000 for one shot. Tricky thing is I will probably have to steal their computer along with it :-P

... if you want very smooth slo-mo it seems that we are getting close but not there yet without having to spend the same money it would be to rent an arri high speed camera for a day and have it processed.

I am already shooting in grand central station, which is a killer amount of money in insurance premiums (I need $4,000,000 coverage everyday)
It just so happens that, it is the day/s that we are shooting slo-mo shots... so tacking on another few thousand dollars for this one shot is really overkill on our budget... but if you have the money I say spend on an arri high-speed at this point you will end up get some killer ass frame rates that you can never do with spending 2k on a capture card 2k on converters and extra time on tweaking the image for it to be perfect and still only getting 60fps

Bottom line is this, I am going to use the hd100u and capture at 60fps... if you don’t have thousands to spend on these slo-mo shots, then yes do the trick with software, it will get you to where you can like your outcome. But if you need it to be perfect and smooth and be picky about it, you are probably going to rip your hair out in the end haha that’s my opinion anyway.

I would like to say thanks for all you who have really put some great input on this matter, and I hope that this will also help others who read this as well... and if anyone has questions about anything slo-mo I’m up for seeing what I can come up with... I will probably do a slo-mo test when its time to do so. I will gladly post/send you my test footage to help anyone else with their decisions on how to do it with the hd100
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
It is possible to digitize "live" HD at 60fps using the analog component out and a HD capture card or device (like Wafian.) The camera must be in 720P30 mode to get the 720P60 live output.
Sorry to bring all this back to the surface... but I could not find anything in the JVC book about going out the analog component at 720P60. How did you figure this out? Am I missing a page or something? ;)
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:03 AM   #20
Major Player

What I think is happening is this... The camera in HD mode is always putting out 60p from the component out ( bypassing the mpeg2 compression) , so you can grab the 60p with the method everyones talking about with capture cards.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:38 AM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese
What I think is happening is this... The camera in HD mode is always putting out 60p from the component out ( bypassing the mpeg2 compression) , so you can grab the 60p with the method everyones talking about with capture cards.
That is true when in 720P30 mode.
In 720P24 mode, the output is 720P48 pulled down into the 720P60.
In 720P25 mode, the output is 720P50.

Maybe David Newman can confirm this? Cineform have done all of the real testing in this area.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM   #22
Major Player

Yeah Tim that sounds about right, that’s the way it was explained to me actually...

Now I know the output is an analog output, right? So when using a capture card like the AJA, does that need a digital signal out from the camera to capture the 60p or am not really making any sense at all... (Slightly confused* haha)
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:10 PM   #23
Wrangler

Yep. It's analog YRB.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems