Real Slomo With The Hd100u ?? How Does It Work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 13th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Real Slomo With The Hd100u ?? How Does It Work?

I understand that the output of the HD100u is 60p... now how do you capture that and have it as a 60p file and drop it into a 24p project on premiere pro 1.5?

to my knowledge when you want real slomo you need more frames... (60 and up for ok results) I have been shooting for a while now, and editing lots and lots... but I never really had to use "smooth" slow motion before, for some reason the films I shoot never really call for it in the script. i usually just cheated by taking the speed of the file and slowing it down by 40%. Now every one knows that in premiere pro, that’s pretty much as slow as you can go with decent results ( but its still not smooth real slow motion). I am shooting my first "nice size" budget ($50,000) indie film with lots and lots of work ahead of me...

I want to know how i can capture the 60p out of the HD100u using the firewire out (if that’s even possible) ... Then I would like to know how do i take that 60p footage and bring it into a 24p project in premiere pro 1.5...

And last but not least, once the 60p file is in the 24p workspace (if that’s even possible) does it play at 24p and turn into a slomo shot with no extra work needed?

THANKS SO MUCH!
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #2
Wrangler

You can easily shoot 60fps (technically 59.94fps) or 50fps in SD mode (HDV-SD60 or HDV-SD50 mode setting respectfully) and then digitize it via firewire and conform it back to 23.98. (On a Mac use Cinema Tools - others can point you to a PC solution.)
However, you will only have 480 lines of resolution in SD60 mode.

It is possible to digitize "live" HD at 60fps using the analog component out and a HD capture card or device (like Wafian.) The camera must be in 720P30 mode to get the 720P60 live output. I tested this the other day with a Blackmagic Decklink and Multibridge and it worked very well.
48fps also worked when the camera was in 720P24 mode, but there is a pulldown to be removed. (1:1:1:2)
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #3
Major Player

hmmm...

"48fps also worked when the camera was in 720P24 mode, but there is a pulldown to be removed. (1:1:1:2)" [from Tim]

I should have said that I needed the footage to be in 720p...now I knew about the component option, I just wanted to avoid buying another capture card just for that 60p (other card is in use) BUT...

the 48p would actually do fine for me! I completely forgot I can do that in HD So my next question is can that done out of the firewire port? and will the pulldown be done during the "capture" or will I have to apply that with a program?
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Wrangler

No HD possible faster than 30fps through the firewire port.

What you're looking for is only currently available on the Panasonic HVX200 (to P2 or Firestore,) Varicam or the forthcoming 2/3" JVC HD7000. The 7000 will use a higher bitrate (faster tape speed) to capture and record 720P60 onto miniDV tape.

You should try uprezzing 480P60 or 576P50 to 720P and see how it looks for the odd slo-mo shot.

There are also some software solutions that smooth out slomo in post-production from 24P or 30P sources and render "in-between" frames. One example is Twixtor - but it is very render intensive and has a bit of a learning curve.
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks so much, I guess I might have to get that capture card to really do what I want to do. And thanks so much for all the info, im not at all new to the dv world, but pretty new to the HDV world so all this really helps alot.
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #6
Major Player

wow i check out the specs that JVC is aiming for with the hd7000... seems impressive as usual... do you happen to know when they are expecting it to be available to the public? if its within the next 8 months i might just get that instead of the hd100u

(edit) i just noticed that someone on another site said that the hd7000's price would be around $27,000 i guess nevermind the hd7000 unless that price was a mistake.
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese
I just noticed that someone on another site said that the hd7000's price would be around $27,000 i guess nevermind the hd7000 unless that price was a mistake.
That sounds about right - without the lens! It will still be tens of thousands less expensive than its closest competitor, the Panasonic Varicam.

You could always rent a Super-16 camera for HiDef Slo-mo!
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #8
Major Player

nuts! i guess nevermind that, i have faith that the hd100 will hold up fine if i do my homework. also this question is to you Tim.... i have it on another thread but the link is here... http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...630#post394630 its the last post with my name on it... i hope you have some input on this issue.

and thanks soo soo much for all your input!
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For HD100 slow motion check out the slowmotion clip on the IndieFilmLive blog : http://indiefilmlive.blogspot.com/20...explained.html. This was done from a stock HD100 camera capture 60p into Prospect HD using a Xena HS card (via an AJA HD10A adaptor.)
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #10
Major Player

thanks reading now ! ( it looks like I am going to buy another capture card for the hd slo-mo)
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese
thanks reading now ! ( it looks like I am going to buy another capture card for the hd slo-mo)
Just be sure to remember that, on the JVC, the uncompressed output is analog, so if you're using an SDI-HD capture card to get the signal into your edit system, you'll need to do an A/D conversion first.

Miranda makes a box called the HD Bridge (about $2k) that does exactly this. I haven't tried it myself, but my contact at JVC told me it's what they used for their demos, so I'm assuming it works very well.

Hope this helps.

A
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #12
Major Player

How smoth would a slow-motion get if captured at 24P or 30P, but with a higher shuttle speed than 1/48, 1/60? Lets say, 1/100 or faster for insatance... that way no cards/conversions, more money put into the project.

Luis Otero
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

High shutter speeds will typically reduce the motion smoothness. The only way to get a good slow motion is higher frame rate, not higher shutter speed.
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #14
Major Player

What about using "Motion Perfect" from Dynapel to duplicate the frame rate? I have used it and it works fine for me and for my clients...

Luis Otero
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If that works you, but I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. You can only interpolate so much before it looks like a blurred image. Again check out the slowmo with real 60fps at http://indiefilmlive.blogspot.com/20...explained.html, this can't be emulated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems