More on Using the Nikon Lenses and GYHD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 25th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #16
Trustee

Thank you Yusuf.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #17
Regular Crew

M2 Nikon f mount

I had a few lomo lenses and i ordered an M2 with an OCT19 mount. After 5! months the people from Red Rock wrote me that we where out of OCT19 mounts and they send me the M2 with an f mount. I managed to fit the adapter, with the original JVC plate by just adding a hole on their support system. Looks fine but I do not have any Nikon lenses so I cannot try it yet. Do you have any ideas, suggestions: Were to get second hand Nikon F mount lenses? I guess that we have to look for f 1,4 - f1,8 max. in order to regain the lost stops?

If you have any updates on the use of the M2 with Nikon lenses I would appreciate if you guys keep me informed. My e-mail is: yantra@dps.centrin.net.id
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Nikon Lenses

Try Ebay, or Sigma DG range, or still cheaper Tamron.

Yusuf
Yusuf Thakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #19
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf Thakur
Try Ebay, or Sigma DG range, or still cheaper Tamron.

Yusuf
Yes but be careful not to buy any of the "digital" lenses (they use different prefixes for these depending on the manufacturer). There is no f-stop ring on these lenses and you'll be stuck with the lens shut down. (On D-SLR's the shutter is adjusted from the camera body)
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #20
Major Player

That is true for any "G" lens as well. G lens do not have an appature ring, it is all electronic.

The suffix for a 'digital' Nikon lens is DX.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Sigma DG lenses

The Sigma DG lenses are for single-lens reflex cameras, and can also be used with Digital Cameras, the good thing about this range is that they have been made to eliminate flare/ghosting/ and chormatic aberration. I have bought a few after a lot of checking out. If you have the camera, and adapter talk to
nearby photographic dealer, and go check them out.

Yusuf
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Backfocus with the M2

Hi Yusuf, i finally got a Nikkor f55 and I tried the M2 today. It was hard to focus and I had to change the macro position of the stock lense to achieve focus more than once.

I would like to ask you:

1. What is your detail value when you use the M2.
2. You back focus once and then you adjust the focus for each composition from the 35mm lens only?
3. How do you do the "back focus" - between stock lens and M2 - before mounting the 35mm lens?
4. Do you have maybe focus trouble as well?

I would be obliged if you give me an idea about the way you use the M2 with the 35mm lenses.
Thank you - Panos Bournias
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Since some of these answers are the same regardless of camera -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos Bournias
2. You back focus once and then you adjust the focus for each composition from the 35mm lens only?
Yes.

Quote:
3. How do you do the "back focus" - between stock lens and M2 - before mounting the 35mm lens?
There's a tutorial on the RedRock website. Look for that. Here's essentially what to do: Turn the M2 OFF, point at a light source and focus the HD100 on the grain of the ground glass. You can do this with or without the 35mm lens on the M2 but you'll need the lens ON in order to see how for you need to zoom to avoid vignetting.

Quote:
4. Do you have maybe focus trouble as well?
If your 55mm lens is at 1.4 you only have a few inches of "in focus" area - so it is very difficult to focus on moving objects. Try F4-5.6 if you have enough light.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Backfocus

The explanation is correct by Joel above, we have had no problem focusiing with the stock JVC lens, using the macro, once done as mentioned above leave it alone and set apeture to f4 on the JVCGYHD lens. Make sure you have mounted the M2 anchromat on the JVC lens, I made that mistake by mounting on the M2, this was before I checked the tutorials on the m2 forum.

I hope this helpfull.

Yusuf
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf Thakur
using the macro, once done as mentioned above leave it alone and set apeture to f4 on the JVCGYHD lens.
Have you noticed grain issues or HDV related problems when using the M2? Do you have any footage to show yet?

Also - do you find the length of the entire unit to be a problem?
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #26
Major Player

http://rarevision.com/pics/13_inch_35mm_comparison.jpg

Nice visual aid, to show you what you get with using a direct adapter on a HD100 or XL camcorder. Yes you get the depth of field, but you better back up to get the same field of view.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:52 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Out of Base

Yes we have filmed with M2 and JVC GYHD100, did not have any grain issues, offcourse you need sufficient light, even in low key lighting you need to light as if you are lighting for film for best results. I am out of Dubai at the moment
but will be back in few days will then post some video.

Yusuf
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Footage/Shots

Its been a long time since I last visited even the site for checking all the new postings, have two one minute clips, shot with all kinds of lenses, the standard lens, with the redrock M2, and via the nikon adapter using a 50mm macro, and 50-500 mm slr.

The files are in Divx file format.

Trying to upload to Streamload, I have asked this question before can one post
the files directly in the forum.

Total file size for both files is 55mb
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #29
Regular Crew

i believe you have to host them and post a link.

and ooooohhh boy do i want to see your footage, i cant wait ;D
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #30
Trustee

Thank you!
Looking forward to the footage
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems