IDX Battery Delay Made Worse by IDX Employee at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

IDX Battery Delay Made Worse by IDX Employee

http://prblog.edhillpr.com/2006/02/h...n-your_19.html

An LA filmaker ran into a huge delay with the IDX battery promotion for the JVC HD100. I describe the whole JVC IDX public relations fiasco in my blog. Rather than retype the same thing here's the whole story of how JVC solved the problem on my blog:

http://prblog.edhillpr.com/2006/02/h...n-your_19.html
ed@highlydef.com
Ed Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

I saw those threads.

Up until his posts, I didn't hear a lot of complaining on the issue.
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nate,

How long does the battery package take to arrive?

My camera will arrive Tuesday and I'm wondering how long to get the battery.

It's a good deal and a clever marketing move by IDX to gain market share against Anton-Bauer batteries. I think if the IDX employee hung up on Ames, then this was a public relations black eye for IDX.
ed@highlydef.com
Ed Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Trustee

I think Jim's biggest problem was he couldn't get the certificates from EVS to even get the ball rolling with IDX weeks ago. Now his back was against the wall in scheduling.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Doesn't excuse the behavior of the IDX employee. Unfortunate for them. Untill I see an apology from them it looks like Anton B. will be getting my money.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The behaviour of the employee is definitely unexcusable and unprofessional.
But to plan a shoot and to expect to power all your cameras from batteries that may or may not come in time anyway, due to the fact they are part of a free offer or rebate program, seemed wishful thinking. I read the whole thread and yes , I agree they treated him like crude with the hanging up. But on the other hand in my mind I thought that he should never have planned that the batteries would arrive in time for his shoot. Undertstood that his vendor didn't receive the rebate certificates or have any, and yes some of the bigger stores or vendors have the certificates, but according the rebate, there is still a 4-6 week wait to receive the batteries. To plan power for a shoot around something that may or may not have come in time anyway, seemed like the wrong way to plan for powering up the whole shoot. Maybe I'm wrong but I felt like IDX is only partially to blame for this whole situation.
I am buying a HD100 this week, but in my head I know I may not have the batteries for some upcoming shoots, and have to plan accordingly. Just my 2 cents.
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Major Player

One bad employee on the support side doesn't make the product bad.
The product itself is good. As long as they take action to the employee.
My guess is that they can't follow the demand at the moment with the HD100 package.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm not sure if IDX is entirely to blame here. Now the attitude and rudeness of their employee is their problem, that goes without saying, but what about EVS not having the certificates? I tried to buy my HD100 from EVS, but they didn't have it in stock, so I went with B&H, and they have the certificate on their site for download. If EVS had this, I would assume the problem would have never escalated to this degree.

Just a thought. I don't know how the certs get where they go, but it seems logical that if one company can put them on their site, another can as well.

To this end, it's been two weeks since I put myself on EVS's "list" for an HD100 and still have yet to be called. They are nice and knowlegable, but products are a bit iffy.

This is not a slam on EVS. Please don't take it that way.
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

EVS wants to sell cameras, if they order them but they don't come in then there is nothing they can do. I was fortunate to get mine the next day after a shipment came in. It seems the HD100 secret is out and this camera is starting to fly off the shelves. Great for JVC but nightmare promotions can kill this momentum just as fast is it got started.

IDX might be a great product but we are not talking about home appliances here. These are professional tools used in professional applications and we don't have time for rude employees.

Sure it was not the best idea to wait for promotional batteries to arrive to use in an important production but that aside there has been a break down in certficate delivery. Why are these certificates so mysterious? Why are they not sent out at the same time as the camera shipment. Not rocket science folks. There is no reason for them to have to come later to the dealer and then to the customer.

According to my contact at JVC, B&H is not suppose to have those certificates online. Now for some reason I don't think that is true because last I checked they are still on there. On Tuesday I should know the exact status of my round of certificates.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Major Player

If they are not to have them on the site, then my mistake for thinking otherwise and not having all the facts.

It would make more sense if they were included INSIDE the box, or the better way would be have the kit in there, and there would be no need for this. I sent mine out on Thrusday. Hopefully what IDX said is true and JVC can turn this around within a week's time.
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM   #11

So what was the problem???

I just spent a few minutes trying to wade through the links and thick paragraphs provided above, and all i could get out it was someone was complaining about having wait for FREE batteries that ship from JVC, not IDX or the dealer.

From the JVC IDX Promo Link:
"Purchase a JVC GY-HD100U from a participating, authorized JVC Dealer between January 1st, 2006 and February 28th, 2006 and receive an LE-HD100KIT IDX ENDURA Battery / Charger Kit (retail value $1,145) directly from JVC AT NO EXTRA CHARGE."

I don't think you can blame IDX, JVC, or the selling dealer for what appears to bad scheduling on the part of the filmmaker.

As a reseller, i had no problems working with IDX and find their products to be a very economical and reliable competitor to Anton Bauer products.
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I agree

I have been following the thread both here and dvxuser and I have to say that you cant plan on promo timing for paid gigs. I wouldnt plan on a rebate to pay an important bill either. THese things always take time. THey have to be able to control and limit the time of this promo, so they cant do pack-ins, and if the retailer had them on hand, then they could charge JVC for em, but not give it out and then resell the unit. These things happen with promos which is one of the reasons why they are using the certificate approach. Not to be a softy for JVC/IDX, but I see why they do what they do. Now maybe they need to be explicit around the turn around time to buyers know they wont get instant gratification.. but legally I am sure they have stated this somewhere..

I bought the cam in december, so I am jealous they even kit a free kit..
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:14 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Yeah, it does seem like trying to pay one's rent with rebate checks that you just sent in for last week.
Edwin Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:47 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Free Battery Kit in just one week.

Last Tuesday my JVC rep dropped off my HD100. First thing he handed me was my certificate for the IDX Battery Promotion. Once the transaction was complete I immediatly filled out the paper work and dropped it in the mail. (I used over night delivery) Today.... (just 9 days later) my kit showed up on my doorstep. WOW how cool is that. I can't wait to get it hooked up to the camera. So I wanted to post some good news in regards to JVC & their battery promotion. I also believe that the vender I used had their act together which made the process seemless & painless. Now I'm all hooked up and ready to shoot some great footage with an awesome camera.
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:06 PM   #15
Trustee

Well, I'm happy for you, but I bought my camera two weeks a go and no sign of certificate as of yet.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems