X-3 light w/IDX and HD-100 question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Trustee

X-3 light w/IDX and HD-100 question.

Does anyone use the X-3 light with the IDX package from JVC? Can you comment on whether the light is even and if the power consumption on the IDX is tremendous. I realize it's an LED light and I've never used LED for a light source before. Any comments welcome.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Does anyone use the X-3 light with the IDX package from JVC? Can you comment on whether the light is even and if the power consumption on the IDX is tremendous. I realize it's an LED light and I've never used LED for a light source before. Any comments welcome.
Stephen!

I do not use this light, but I tried last summer at the Weva show. Personally I don't like it at all. Yes, it's a LED light, so it's very good on battery, but for me wasn't wide enough. Was too pointy. I ended up with PAG, but with the bigger one. Later I bought two more. I just love them. Extremely even, smooth. I sold my Sachtler light, wich I tought is one of the best. Wel.... not even close to this PAG.

I'm sorry I can't help more about the IDX.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Major Player

For Interviews

Hi Stephen - used the IDX-Lite (not the X-3) with 50w bulb for some street interviews last year. We found the unit to be a bit short on output particularly if you use the filters attached to the front. Our D-Tap still has not arrived to connect the light to the IDX batteries - so can't comment on how much power it will use - we were using a seperate battery pack to get by. All in all we were pleased with the fill-in look it gave us once I had got to grips with the best distance to film our subject from. At the end of the day on-camera lights are not normally part of our work otherwise I think I would go for something with a bit more beef that could be difused with a Chimera soft box. Hope this is of some help...

Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:56 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Guys,

@Laszlo - Which Pag to you have that you're impressed with? Does it feed off of the D-tap? Can you give me details please?

@Stewart - I'm not accustomed to on camera lights either. I used a battery operated light with varistor recently and liked the light control and convenience. I'm hoping to find one that will run off the IDX D-tap for a reasonable price.

Thanks...
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Laszlo, is the X-3 LED a warmer temp than the light Panels?

Stephen,
Do you intend to use it with 6500k and up temp light? If you are shooting indoors and need fill then I have not found LED to be a good solution. Outdoor daylight fill is another story however. Far too blue for my taste otherwise. And, by the time you add a filter to balance them for indoor use you end up cutting your throw too much. We also have a couple of Light Panels and like Laszlo mentioned, LED light tends to be "pointy", producing more of a spot (yet they didn't have the punch to work well as a key light either).

About the only thing I can use our LED's for with the HD100 is simulating TV backlight, moonlight, or in a car as fill from the dash lights.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Stephen, I'm using a Swit LED light and I'm really liking it. I'm accustomed to camera lights and this one has impressed me. It is probably wider than the IDX because it has one more LED, it also has a wide, a 3200K color filter and barn doors.

"It offers high output and low power consumption with the unique LED technology. It can output equivalent to a 40W bulb at 5600K daylight color temperature while only require 12W of power with low heat radiation. S-2000 can last in excess of 100,000 hours, require no dichroic filter and spare filament bulbs." http://www.swit-battery.com/new/engl...D=200583015222

I haven't tried the IDX yet, but I can tell you this one works great. The cable is long enought but an adapter 1/4-20 screw to female shoe mount is required. Here's the adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Trustee

Good info. Does the Swit utilize the D-tap.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes it does, I'm using it with the A/B battery bracket.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:48 PM   #9
Major Player

Stephen!

I bought the PAGLight-M which is a medium size light, and I was very impressed with it, but I tought can be even more wider. So, I changed to the fullsize PAGLight (no "M") and later I ordered two more This light have lot's of option, but I bought only with the "standard lampholder" and the barndoors, which is come with "milk" and "daylight" filters. Changing the bulb is a breeze, extramely easy. Also I bought them with one extra "standard lampholder" with bulb, so if I need to change bulb for any reason, I just flip out the lampholder, and pop in the other lampholder. FANTASTIC!!!
You can buy with dimmer lampholder, or few other different way too. (Like a PowerArc lampholder, which is HMI but lot's of money)
Here is the link:

http://www.pagusa.com/PAGLIGHT.htm

Also I bought mine with D-taps and connected to the IDX adapter on my HD-100

Laszlo
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:16 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Stephen, I'm using a Swit LED light and I'm really liking it. I'm accustomed to camera lights and this one has impressed me. It is probably wider than the IDX because it has one more LED, it also has a wide, a 3200K color filter and barn doors.

"It offers high output and low power consumption with the unique LED technology. It can output equivalent to a 40W bulb at 5600K daylight color temperature while only require 12W of power with low heat radiation. S-2000 can last in excess of 100,000 hours, require no dichroic filter and spare filament bulbs." http://www.swit-battery.com/new/engl...D=200583015222

I haven't tried the IDX yet, but I can tell you this one works great. The cable is long enought but an adapter 1/4-20 screw to female shoe mount is required. Here's the adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Thanks for the link. A few questions. They quote 550 lux at 1 meter with temp 5200. Do you find this to be accurate? Do you find the light dispersion to be even when the barn doors are open? How long is the cable? Where do you pick one up?
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:21 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath
Stephen!

I bought the PAGLight-M which is a medium size light, and I was very impressed with it, but I tought can be even more wider. So, I changed to the fullsize PAGLight (no "M") and later I ordered two more This light have lot's of option, but I bought only with the "standard lampholder" and the barndoors, which is come with "milk" and "daylight" filters. Changing the bulb is a breeze, extramely easy. Also I bought them with one extra "standard lampholder" with bulb, so if I need to change bulb for any reason, I just flip out the lampholder, and pop in the other lampholder. FANTASTIC!!!
You can buy with dimmer lampholder, or few other different way too. (Like a PowerArc lampholder, which is HMI but lot's of money)
Here is the link:

http://www.pagusa.com/PAGLIGHT.htm

Also I bought mine with D-taps and connected to the IDX adapter on my HD-100

Laszlo
Yes, I'm familiar with this little powerhouse of a lamp you've linked. How long is your cable? How quickly does it go through the battery when everything (camera/light/phantom48/LCD) is operational? Are you using it on camera or setting using it otherwise in tight spaces?
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, I'm familiar with this little powerhouse of a lamp you've linked. How long is your cable? How quickly does it go through the battery when everything (camera/light/phantom48/LCD) is operational? Are you using it on camera or setting using it otherwise in tight spaces?
I ordered with 1.5 feet long cable. My dealer asked how I want it, how long, which connector, etc... They're very good (http://www.ste-man.com)
With my 130 mA Switronic battery I'm good with LCD, and 30W bulb for about 2 hrs.

Laszlo
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #13
Major Player

Ste-Man

Ste-Man is also the prime source for the excellent Petroff matte boxes and follow focus units as well as Cartoni tripods and fluid heads -- much more too. It's a good company to have on your vendor list.

The Cartoni Focus fluid heads really hit the price/performance sweet spot for HDV cameras.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for the link. A few questions. They quote 550 lux at 1 meter with temp 5200. Do you find this to be accurate? Do you find the light dispersion to be even when the barn doors are open? How long is the cable? Where do you pick one up?
I can't measure the light intensity but its color temp is 5200k for sure.

The light is even enought, however if you use the wide angle lens you may find it a bit spoted. The wide filter works great but singificantly reduces light intensity. If you'll be using it mostly outdoors it will fit yor needs perfectly, but if what you want is a 3200k temp maybe a bulb light would be more suitable for you. You can always use filters but as you know you lose intensity. It works very well for me because 5200K is what I mostly need, however with the orange and the wide filters together the light becomes too soft.

The cable is 50cm long (19.69 inch) but I don't know if there are other size options. I purchased in UK, but Lazlo has a Swit battery and maybe he can tell you if he purchased it in US. Swit and Varizoon batteries are the same, but Varizoom doesn't have camera lights.
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath
With my 130 mA Switronic battery I'm good with LCD, and 30W bulb for about 2 hrs.
My HD101 can run for about the same time with LCD and the 12W LEDs light using 88mAh Swit batteries. With a bulb light the IDX batteries can't certainly hold 2 hours.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems