HD100 update? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Closed Thread

Old March 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hamden
Hey fellas, according to JVC, it confirms Bradshaw's statement, that this is an upgrade for 3rd party compatibilty (VF, HDD, Battery), totally voluntary, not a recall. They are just trying to take care of everyone who wants these upgrades, to be a good manufacturer. They also said they will post more info on their site, in the FAQ section:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...&feature_id=13
Thanks Rush.
Will there actually be an "A" designation though? It doesn't make sense to do so if this is a simple under-the-hood firmware update.

I'm changing the title of this thread from "recall" to "update" so that everyone can stop freaking out when they see it.
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #17
Major Player

FWIW I get a 16v reading on a charged IDX battery.
I've got a new HD100 coming and it will be interesting to see if this changes.
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #18
Tourist

JVC NEW HD-100A replaces the HD-100

I just spoke with my sales rep at dvwonline.com and he informed me that JVC has replaced the HD-100 with the HD-100A. They have the new A version on the way. I was told that I will need to mail my old non-a version back to JVC for the upgrade. Does anybody know when I mail my camera in how long it will take? any details yet?
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #19
Major Player

Do you mean that they are updating the camera you have or giving you a new camera? Is it just a firmware upgrade that you mean?
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #20
Trustee

Stanley,
This is only a firmware upgrade.
No hardware change

Contact your local rep.

I'm waiting to find out when the latest firmware will be available.
I'm hoping JVC will post and let us know.
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #21
Regular Crew

It will be an "A" update, and as far as I know, you have to send to JVC.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Old March 14th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #22
Regular Crew

And if you buy the JVC now how can you tell i you have the update? Do they draw a big "A" on the side panel?
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
It will be an "A" update, and as far as I know, you have to send to JVC.
Great. I wonder if I can get mine upgraded at a JVC service center. I've ordered a DR-HD100-40 from B&H and it hasn't shown up yet, but I'm going to be out of town allegedly working on a project for the next 2 1/2 months. I figured I'd shoot to tape only until the drive shows up, but now I don't even know if the drive is going to work for me. Ugh. And I was so psyched about the IDX battery kit showing up today. I leave Friday and I was pretty happy about the fortuitous timing on the battery kit.
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Interesting. I just worked on a 3-camera video and one of the HD100 was showing voltage around 16V. This was with the IDX package. I have the AB mount with a Varizoom battery and it's always at 7.3V

--
Paolo
I have the A/B mount with Swit batteries, Varizoom and Swit are the same and my camera is always at 7.1 or 7.0. The battery dies and the voltage doesn't drop from these numbers. A/B has a realtime display but it only shows when both A/B battery and mount are used.
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The thing with the AB mount is that the HD100 is supposed to translate the power in the battery to remaining run time and display it in the VF. I've never seen this with my AB mount, but I'm using SWIT batteries, so that may have something to do with it. I do however get a voltage readout (7.3V on full charge, 6.9V when dead) and my batteries last 5 hours in the cold.

According to the IDX literature, their mount is also supposed to reduce the voltage to 7.2V, but I think most people have reported 14V on the display.
Tim, which Swit batteries model are yours? I have the S-8080A and the voltage info doesn't change, and there is no low voltage warning. The camera turns off when the batterie die and turns back on after a few seconds. Does it also happens to you?
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Council, did JVC actually mention that this will be an "A" designated model, or simply another firmware update?
It doesn't make sense to me that JVC would designate a firmware update as an "A" model, especially when the current models can be updated.
I'm trying to confirm this from a third source now.
Tim, Yes it will be an "A" designated model. Once the camera has been updated JVC will replace the sticker on the bottom of the camer under the shoulder pad with a JVC GY HD100A sticker.
Also I forgot to mention that all the updates will be done out of the JVC service center in California. Not sure why, maybe because of the volume.
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #27
Tourist

hi guys i was wondering whats the final word on this,

I just got my camera 2 weeks back, from a dealer Upstate New york, do i need to send it back to JVC to get this update.

Does it affect the view finder? i am planning to get the DR-100 HDD within the next 6 months, i have ordered the AB mount, and a set of swit batteries.
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #28
Major Player

So, what is the protocol to follow: contact the dealer or JVC directly to get the shipping address, authorization code, etc.?

Luis
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Hey fellas, according to JVC, it confirms Bradshaw's statement, that this is an upgrade for 3rd party compatibilty (VF, HDD, Battery), totally voluntary, not a recall. They are just trying to take care of everyone who wants these upgrades, to be a good manufacturer. They also said they will post more info on their site, in the FAQ section:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...&feature_id=13
Thank God it's just an update. I bought mine yesterday and thought Sod's Law had struck me again! :)
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #30
Major Player

According to the JVC Regional Manager I spoke with today, there will be a formal announcement monday about the upgrade option.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems