HD100 update? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Closed Thread

Old March 18th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Are you saying that early adopters such as myself might not be eligible for the "A" upgrade?
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #47
Obstreperous Rex

Well, I'm sure we'll all find out when JVC makes their formal announcement (from what I understand, it's coming on Monday), but all indications are that the upgrade will be available for early adopters if they want it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Findley
As small business owners, you all most probably are already represented by counsel. Speaking as a Tennessee attorney, there is a provision in Tennessee law that provides that all products sold in Tennessee are sold with an implied warranty of merchantability and implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose. Essentially, these provisions provide that if a product in Tennessee cannot operate in the manner that it was intended to be used and sold for that express purpose, the purchaser may have a legal claim against the manufacturer. I cannot speak for the law in other states, but it would not surprise me if other states had similar provisions.

If you have drawn the very short straw as an early adopter and have a camera with a boatload of CA and other problems, can't carry on your business because of these problems. and can't get a satisfactory resolution of your problems by contacting JVC directly, you might want to spend a hundred bucks or so for an hour's worth of your attorney's time and find out what other options are available. It is true that legal action is a pain in the ass and can drag out for years, but that's the system, for better for worse. My impression, though, is that JVC seems to be doing its best to accomodate customers' concerns.
Good post and sound advice with any hardware. However, anyone who has given JVC a chance to "fix the problem" has been greeted with a good reception and a solution. The ones who had continuing problems seem to not cooperate in resolution, and really did not give JVC an opportunity to "make it right" (because of impatience maybe?). The ones that give JVC a chance, learn that JVC does back up this product and it's obvious that service and customer retention is paramount to JVC right now. I see JVC the way I saw Panasonic in the early 1990's. Up and coming. They've put together a really nice format (ProHD and ProHDXE) that is tremendously flexible with incredible quality for the $$$$. They know that (I'm sure) and it seems to me they will nurture the "golden egg" that is ProHD.
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #49
Wrangler

Thanks Chris. I've heard that JVC Regional Managers have been asked not to talk about the update on the message boards until JVC USA releases the full details in either a press release or on the FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Findley
...and more unhappiness over the fact that JVC is coming out with an "A" model that will address those problems.
Dave. There should be absolutely no unhappiness with the fact that JVC is improving their product at no extra charge to existing customers (assuming the rumours are true.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E. Pearson
Are you saying that early adopters such as myself might not be eligible for the "A" upgrade?
I think many people are assuming that what JVC is doing here is the same as what Panasonic did with the upgrade from DVX100 to DVX100A. The DVX100 did not have gain capability or auto-focus in progressive modes. Within months of the DVX100's release Panasonic released the DVX100A which added those features as well as some new gamma curves. Of course the original DVX100 owners were pissed (me included) because there was no firmware upgrade path. If you bought the DVX100, you would simply never have those new features.

JVC is offering an upgrade path for existing U.S. customers (there is no information from other regions yet,) and as far as I can tell, there will be no charge to the end user.

JVC has your back, don't dis them for it.
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Somehow I don't think a class-action lawsuit is the proper course to take, considering that this manufacturer is not only improving their product, but will also offer this upgrade to current owners of their existing product. I guess I fail to see why that deserves litigation.
Chris, all Dave is saying is that consumers should be aware of their rights and options. I didn't feel that he was suggesting litigation. And I do agree with you that JVC is addressing the problems. Let's wait for Monday to see what the situation is... From my understanding ALL HD100 owners are eligible for the update.
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Stephen, your post seems consistent with what I've read on the various websites, as regards JVC's customer response. I would certainly encourage anyone with problems to avail themselves of JVC's customer reps to resolve their problems.
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #52
Barry Wan Kenobi

I gotta weigh in too. I was unhappy with my JVC, and the situation was completely taken care of. And for customers who have expressed dissatisfaction on other forums, no less than Bob Mueller (Chief Operating Officer of JVC Broadcast) has stepped in personally to offer assistance on a one-on-one basis.

JVC does seem to be doing its best to take care of its customers.
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
Do I have to be in JVC's back pocket and tout the hd100 despite it's numerous defects?
Well, even though I ran into some communication mixup and got kind of screwed on Friday I am still a fan of the camera. I think JVC might consider hiring a couple of guys to kind of look out for their prosumer users and make sure the channels of communication are open, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the products themselves. That's more of an issue with middle management in their service division not having a very useful grasp on quality assurance.

I am in Oklahoma today and just spent about 10 hours shooting a music video in 30P and found the camera to be an amazing tool. It's light enough that my old bones aren't killin' me, but it handles like a "real" camera, which is something I haven't found in any of the other HDV offerings. The quality of the video is amazing, too. I'm carrying around a 20" iMac these days. It's not really *that* much bigger than a laptop, but it's much more useful and the screen is great. Anyway, I'd shoot a take, capture and review and shoot another take. I didn't use any gain and shot most of the day at between f2.8 and f4. The video was stunning, IMO. I have no regrets whatsoever about the purchase. I just wish I was able to shoot in 24P.

Now, when the drives become available I hope to shoot in 24P and just move the files across to the iMac for review and backup. Then when I get home I'll edit in Vegas on my PC.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #54
Wrangler

Well, it's official now - at least for U.S. Customers.

Go here for the details:
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/special/HD100...00upgrade.html

- Improved NLE compatibility (scene breaks)
- Improved Reliability (I assume this means the "Mode changing" and "blue screen" issues in some firmware)
- Run-Time information with Anton Bauer Battery systems (IDX not affected)
- Compatibility with the DR-HD100U Hard drive

If you read the fine print on the form you will see that you only send the body, but you have to pay for shipping/insurance to JVC yourself. JVC pays to send it back to you.

Turnaround time is 72 Hours.

If you are local in California JVC recommends you bring your camera in person and wait while it is upgraded. Call 1-800-582-5825 in advance.
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:38 AM   #55
Obstreperous Rex

Since this update has been made official, we now have a new thread for discussing it... located at this link:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63294

So in order to make sure that all the conversation about this topic stays together and under one roof, I'm closing this thread (which started before the upgrade became official) and encourage any new posts about this topic to go to the new thread, which once again, is found here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63294

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems