Are you shooting 30p or 24p - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 18th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
One of the things that make the MAC platform so nice is that they control all of the hardware.

They don't have to deal with 50 manufacturers of video cards, sound cards, ram, etc.
Tom

No one wants a PC vs. Mac debate; I'm no exception to the rule.
But Tom, anyone who deals with constant crashes and/or slow performance due to hardware, application or OS, and does not properly configure a system to avoid working like this, should be using a Mac. Our systems are very stable and rarely to never crash (unless we do something totally stupid, I can kill a Mac doing the same operation), but then we are also system educated and want more than just a "simple" out of the box solution. I will take the "50 manufacturers of video cards, sound cards, ram, etc" with all of it's options any day. Something is wrong with your configuration, and it's not the computers fault.

Strictly opinion here, but the Mac is similar to the HVX camera, it's hip, cool and trendy. They are easy to operate, relatively stable, and do a great job. But stability and ease of use has come at a price, and not just $$$, but at the cost of third party supported hardware, software and functionality. I never bought into the trendy marketing around these two items. The print and media advertising for both Mac and the HVX are transparent and seriously makes me want to gag.. "want to look cool, shoot and edit with no experience"? The current marketing campaign is insulting to the power users who chose Macintosh long before it was trendy and hip.

Steve Benner - "Since MAC's now run both...I can't see any reason to buy a pure windows machine unless you need something on Par with the Guad G-5 since MAC hasn't released there high end machines yet. The Macbook Pros as slightly faster than the Dual Core G5's"

That's a biased and slightly uneducated statement Steve.
I could see buying a faster Mac to replace your current slower Mac WITH access to Windows based applications. But buying a slower Mac than your currently faster PC simply because it runs Windows? Are you serious? I would rather see some real world, hard application speeds on this computer first. Right now it looks to be more of just an advantage to current Mac users, not Mac and PC users alike.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
But buying a slower Mac than your currently faster PC simply because it runs Windows? Are you serious? I would rather see some real world, hard application speeds on this computer first. Right now it looks to be more of just an advantage to current Mac users, not Mac and PC users alike.
I agree that there is no reason to buy a slower machine. Once Apple releases their high end systems, I doubt the PC will be any faster. Currently aren't QUAD-CORE G5's among the fastest computers?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #33
Major Player

No, that was once again another case of propaganda / hype.

"Apple Computer defended its claim of having "the world's fastest, most powerful personal computer" on the market by omitting certain speed tests it failed and claiming certain workstation computers weren't comparable, a detailed analysis by The Mac Observer of the Better Business Bureau's 26-page report on claims of false advertising... In it's decision, NAD recommended Apple pull its advertisement's claiming to have the fastest and most powerful PC, saying readers could easily believe the claim applied to workstations..."

Readers like you Steve. Don't worry, a lot of people bought into it.

Faster than the current Macs? Sure. Other than that? I'll believe it when I see it.
RED ONE #977
Old June 18th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #34
Trustee

One thing is for sure, when you get on Mac your choices are very limited. When you get on a PC your choices are wide open but you MUST know what you are doing.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
No, that was once again another case of propaganda / hype.

"Apple Computer defended its claim of having "the world's fastest, most powerful personal computer" on the market by omitting certain speed tests it failed and claiming certain workstation computers weren't comparable, a detailed analysis by The Mac Observer of the Better Business Bureau's 26-page report on claims of false advertising... In it's decision, NAD recommended Apple pull its advertisement's claiming to have the fastest and most powerful PC, saying readers could easily believe the claim applied to workstations..."

Readers like you Steve. Don't worry, a lot of people bought into it.

Faster than the current Macs? Sure. Other than that? I'll believe it when I see it.
Since the Intel Chips are in MACs now and you claim PC's are faster, I assume you are an AMD user?

And I do not care about propoganda. I worked on Windows machines since it came out. I then tried a Apple in my high school and edited on a Media 100 G4 Mac. I bought my G4 Powerbook and will never go back to a pc. Mac OSX is a much better operating system in my opinion, and the computers are more than fast enough. Plus now they can run windows and I can get the windows only software. I also love Final Cut Studio.

Quick Question: What Brand PC do you own?

By the way: I am not trying to insult PC users so don't take this the wrong way. I am more concerned with my whole computer experience, not just speed. I am sure you are correct in saying that you built faster PC's than the Apple's. I am just saying I prefer MAC. But, you cannot tell me that a Quad-Core G5 is a slow machine.
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #36
Major Player

Guys last time I checked the topic was about shooting 30p or 24p to me that is about aethetiscs, there are alot of guys who know what their talking about but have yet to produce anything with what they have, mac or pc if you can't edit or shoot then it doesn't matter how many Ghz your comp runs at, it will suck full stop. So put your money where your mouth is, and stop this flame war.
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
Guys last time I checked the topic was about shooting 30p or 24p to me that is about aethetiscs, there are alot of guys who know what their talking about but have yet to produce anything with what they have, mac or pc if you can't edit or shoot then it doesn't matter how many Ghz your comp runs at, it will suck full stop. So put your money where your mouth is, and stop this flame war.
It's just guys talking. Not much flaming....
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #38
Major Player

It looks to me like theres been a lot of fanning
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
It's just guys talking. Not much flaming....
I am in no hate debate against PC here, but yest eh topic did take over the debate I guess. I was more curious about how much faster PC's can be made than MAC's since I heard everything was ruffly on par...I thought it was interesting.

Anyway, I think that 720/24P is the way to go if you can edit it. If not, then I think it may be better to shoot 720/30P rather than SD 24P just for the higher resolution.
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #40
Major Player

Jemore, sorry if it looks heated, but no flames are coming from this side and I don't feel any from Steve, so no harm done.

Hehe, no Steve, I'm not an AMD, Intel, PC or Mac fan. We use anything that gets the job done at the easiest price to swallow. Because in 6 months something is going to come along that's better, faster and cheaper. I don't want to blow my budget for the year on one system, and lose business to those who didn't. For us it's mostly PC's, but that's just because they fit the build for us, for now. If and when the Mac comes around in both speed and cost, then all the better. I would love to own a Mac that can run our Windows applications, so I am considering the new system. But even then it's more of a technology thing, we like to check things out... like all geeks, we can use it for testing, etc..

And see, we can agree on the 24P editing. ;) We have gotten way off topic. however, so on topic I can say that I'm still very suprised that FCP and Avid have had so many issues with 24P editing on the Mac. It's honestly the one area of using a PC over a Mac that I never would have expected.
RED ONE #977
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
It's honestly the one area of using a PC over a Mac that I never would have expected.
That is very true. Avid Xpress Pro HD is still not supporting it, which really shocked me.
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #42
Major Player

I know you guys are all cool, just don't want it to turn out to be one of this really sh!tty sites that have and encourage hundreds of brand bashings, I know people here are alot more mature and professional but I just don't like people being pigeon holed just because you work on a mac or a pc. Same goes for which camera you use. This is a community and a very helpful one at that. And sorry if I sounded abit rough, I am at work after all :(
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Daniel,

I didn't mean to start a war.

I too want to use whatever it takes to get the job done.

And if something "works" right out of the box doesn't it allows us more time to be creative? (rather than switching out video cards and installing drivers)

I too own a Dell and I am not a fan of the HVX!

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #44
Major Player

It's not a problem Tom. :)

I have not changed hardware out of any of our DELL's except to improve upon the design and to better fit my needs. And I have plenty of friends that complain about the design flaws of using their Macs compared to their PC's, but that can change on any given day too.

I'm a technology wh*re and own damn near one of everything I can get my hands on. We use the HD100, HVX, Canon, DELL, Mac, both DV & HDV decks, HD displays, lite panels, etc. the list goes far and wide. If it's new, proven to work, and saves us time, money, or does a better job, we own it.

But the days of flaky computers has gone south some 10+ years ago, yet people still talk like it's 1995 and as if PC's have never improved. Even our DELL's are not perfect and have issues from time to time, but no more or less than the issues of our office Mac.
RED ONE #977
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Well said!

I'm interested in how you like the HVX when comparing it to our beloved JVC's.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems