Are you shooting 30p or 24p - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
That was not a demo of what they plan to ship. It was a version hacked so 24p could be used as thought it were 30p. They were, at least honest about it not being any kind of prerelease version.

Avid has confirmed Liquid running 720p24 on a MBP. So, that may be the best of both worlds.
That's very good to hear.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Avid has confirmed Liquid running 720p24 on a MBP. So, that may be the best of both worlds.
Can you please link me to where you located this information about MacBookPro?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Steve,

That is very good to hear. I have a MacBook Pro bought specifically for this project.

Please tell more.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
Steve,

That is very good to hear. I have a MacBook Pro bought specifically for this project.

Please tell more.
Install Bootcamp, install XP with SP2. Install: http://www.olofsson.info/ so you can get right-click.

Now install Liquid 7. Update to 7.1. Enjoy.

One thing, for 720p you need 256MB VRAM.

PLEASE!!!! Report how this goes for you.

I'm checking with Avid folks about how it could be run a MacBook.

In the next month I'll be covering 24p with Liquid in my GDC@Work Newsletter.
Old June 15th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Apple are you hearing this???

Thanks Steve,

As much as I hate to, you've got me SERIOUSLY considering placing an order for Windows and Liquid.

Does it need to be the pro version of XP?

Tom
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks Steve,

As much as I hate to, you've got me SERIOUSLY considering placing an order for Windows and Liquid.

Does it need to be the pro version of XP?

Tom
Tom,

On a purly Windows machine you should get XP Pro as specified by the Liquid cookbook.

S.Noe
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Install Bootcamp, install XP with SP2. Install: http://www.olofsson.info/ so you can get right-click.

Please clarify. Is this a dual boot scenario or an XPPro emulation within OSX?
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:

Do you know if the Macbook Pro can run Windows XP Professional.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #24
Regular Crew

What you’ll need
Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.6 (check Software Update)
The latest Firmware update (check Support Downloads)
10GB free hard disk space
An Intel-based Mac
A blank recordable CD
A printer for the instructions (You’ll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)
A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

Steve,

This is right from Apple.

Tom

Stephen Noe,

Thanks for the info!
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #25
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Please clarify. Is this a dual boot scenario or an XPPro emulation within OSX?

Dual boot. Boot in XP and you've got a Intel notebook.

I'm going to try a Macbook next week.
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #26
Major Player

Since you mention it... Please post the benchmarks on the hybrid Mac as soon as you have something please.

We are considering something like this from a use and testing standpoint. Our CEO wants to give the system a shot as he loves new technology, but I'm not ultra sold on the idea. All I have read is propaganda articles, and they rarely to never tell the complete story from a fully functioning production point of view. Everyone bends the numbers. For years now I have heard how the Mac is so much faster and more powerful than Intel based PC's, yet now the Mac is incorporating Intel CPU's and architecture. Ummm... So, is the new architecture so much more superior to the advancements in a long running development of Windows based PC's? Or is it simply a more cost effective CPU for the Mac, that also allows for a wider range of applications (windows Based) for a traditional Mac user?

Not at all argumentative in my questioning, I'm simply trying to understand the benefits of a system like this for a predominantly PC grounded production house, doing 24P editing of course. :)

Oh and... yes, we are shooting more 24P these days, have I mentioned that? It's good to stay on task.

Thanks Steve!!!

RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #27
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
For years now I have heard how the Mac is so much faster and more powerful than Intel based PC's, yet now the Mac is incorporating Intel CPU's and architecture.
A dual G5 is VERY fast -- just as Apple claimed.

But the day I bought a used 3.2GHz P4 Dell laptop, I realized that an Intel laptop was faster than any Mac laptop. My Mac friends could not believe my stories of how fast my laptop was.

Thankfully, Apple did not not believe their own marketing and has been running OS X on Intel for years. So they dropped the PowerPC. Now some think they should have gone with AMD. But, it was a "bet your company" decision -- and go Intel makes sense. For one thing, Intel makes motherboards, so Intel is building the next PowerMac MB for Apple.

There are problems with the new Apple laptops. Especially heat. But, I'm not sure the heat is any worse than a PC laptop. Mac owners simply have no experience with just how hot the new super fast chips can get in a laptop.

NOTE: since I've got a Mac laptop and my Dell laptop -- I really don't need my dual G5 anymore, so I'm selling it.

1. Apple PowerMac: dual 2.5GHz G5 with 4GB of RAM. Firewire ports and USB ports. Modem and Ethernet ports. (No Bluetooth or AirPort.) Keyboard and Mouse.

2. ATI Graphics Card with 256MB VRAM that supports two DVI monitors

3. 160GB HDD

4. SuperDrive

5. Mac OS 10.3.9

6. AJA HD10A HD analog component to HD-SDI converter box

7. Blackmagic DeckLink HD Pro (HD-SDI input/output plus HD analog component output)

8. Apple s/w: iMovie HD 5.0.2; iPhoto 5.0.4; Itunes 6.0.1; GarageBand 2.0.2; Final Cut Express HD 3.0; CinemaTools 3.0.3; DVD Studio Pro 3.0.2; Final Cut Pro HD 5.0.03; LiveType 2.0.2; Motion 1.0.1; SoundTrack 1.2

9. Adobe s/w: After Effects 5 and Illustrator 10

10. Bias s/w: Peak Express 3.3

11. Popwire Compression Master 3

12. Microsoft s/w: Office X

Items #6 and #7, at list, are about $3500.

No software documentation or Licenses -- other than OS X.

I'm open to any reasonable offer.

Please contact via email.
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Just a note on Apple

One of the things that make the MAC platform so nice is that they control all of the hardware.

They don't have to deal with 50 manufacturers of video cards, sound cards, ram, etc.

In all fairness to windows, I don't know how you could write software with infinite variables to the hardware!

So, along those lines, wouldn't it make sense that once windows is figured out for the MAC machines, it should be extremely solid???

I use both as well, and the thing that has kept me closer to Apple is that it WORKS!

My windows machines, all new, all Dell and Sony, stink! Constantly crashing, constantly telling me updates are available, constantly taking forever to do simple stuff, email, spreadsheets, word docs.

Sorry for ranting,

Tom
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Just a note on Apple

One of the things that make the MAC platform so nice is that they control all of the hardware.

They don't have to deal with 50 manufacturers of video cards, sound cards, ram, etc.

In all fairness to windows, I don't know how you could write software with infinite variables to the hardware!

So, along those lines, wouldn't it make sense that once windows is figured out for the MAC machines, it should be extremely solid???

I use both as well, and the thing that has kept me closer to Apple is that it WORKS!

My windows machines, all new, all Dell and Sony, stink! Constantly crashing, constantly telling me updates are available, constantly taking forever to do simple stuff, email, spreadsheets, word docs.

Sorry for ranting,

Tom
Old June 17th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:

Sorry for ranting,

Tom
Since MAC's now run both...I can't see any reason to buy a pure windows machine unless you need something on Par with the Guad G-5 since MAC hasn't released there high end machines yet. The Macbook Pros as slightly faster than the Dual Core G5's
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems