Love the new cam, but wide-angle kills deal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Love the new cam, but wide-angle kills deal

Thanks to all who responded to my "having buyer's remorse" thread. It was very helpful and has kept me encouraged while going through the learning curve of focusing and everything else about this camera.

The camera is awesome. I can learn to live without autofocus and am starting to even prefer manual focus as some predicted .... so some progress has been made.

HOWEVER, even with (only marginally wider) .8x JVC wide-angle adapter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I'm finding that it's not enough. I don't need width (it's plenty wide enough), I need height from a fairly close distance. And I'll have to be too far away from my subjects (dance instructors at a live event, where I'm in the middle of the action) in order to get their entire bodies in the shot.

Any advice out there besides the $9K Fujinon wide-angle?? I just don't have that sort of money to spend. I've read here that the cavision adapter isn't very good.

Very frustrating as I *LOVE* this camera so far... But I'll be sending it back if I can't resolve this issue in the next day or so.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Lamm
And I'll have to be too far away from my subjects (dance instructors at a live event, where I'm in the middle of the action) in order to get their entire bodies in the shot.
Have you ever successfully shot this? That sounds very wide to me. The big problem you might have even if you get a lens that wide is generally people look weird/distorted when photographed up close with a very wide angle lens.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I'm currently using a SONY HC1 (which I definitely want to replace) with a .8x wide-angle adapter. Given the distances I usually shoot, I am able to get an entire person in the shot with about 8" to spare above/below (4" above, 4" below). With the JVC + .8x adapter, I can get the entire person but their head + feet nearly touch the edges of the viewing area (maybe 1" above and 1" below is clear).

The above distances are fairly common in my work. However if the room is especially small then I've had to resort to a .5x wide-angle. Definitely some distortion but not terrible. But I don't have another option for the JVC besides the (not great) .8x adapter.

Yes, I can move back but when I do that the students start to move in front of me. So I need to be able to be in front of the students.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, I can move back but when I do that the students start to move in front of me. So I need to be able to be in front of the students.
Assuming you really need HD, the HVX has a wider lens but I'd be worried about the noise if you are shooting in lower light. If your shoot locations are lit up well - like you're shooting at f5.6 on the JVC - then you'll probably be Ok with an HVX. Its lens is a little softer at full wide angle though.

I'm guessing I missed a thread where you already discussed a lot of options.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I can't see dealing with P2 cards on the HVX right now... until they're a lot cheaper. I guess my second choice camera would be a Canon XL H1, but of course we're talking a lot more money there. BUt there seem to be many options in terms of lenses for the Canon.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
BUt there seem to be many options in terms of lenses for the Canon.
They've got a wider lens that's not very expensive? Hmmm... I didn't know that. The Canon is a very cool camera, I've shot it. It's supposed to be better in low light and that might help you. The stock lens wasn't very easy for me to use, but if you're going to swap it out then maybe the new one would be better.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
They've got a wider lens that's not very expensive? Hmmm... I didn't know that. The Canon is a very cool camera, I've shot it. It's supposed to be better in low light and that might help you. The stock lens wasn't very easy for me to use, but if you're going to swap it out then maybe the new one would be better.
There's a new Century lens coming out this week or next for the H1 that's wider. Currently there's a Century .8x that's around $600 I think. Definitely less than $9K.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

So what is issue with the HC1 ? How is it not meeting your needs ?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've been wanting to move up to a better camera for several months, one with many more manual settings. Two days with the JVC convinces me that I'm ready for it. With the HC1 I continually have problems with blown highlights, low light issues, color issues (the reds are terrible), little control over the iris, etc.. I'm ready to grow into a better camera.

I'm attracted to what I read about and see with the JVC and somewhat tired of interlacing issues. I take stills from the videos all the time. I'm less interested in the Sony Z1 and more interested in the JVC or Canon (although interlaced).
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I use the FX1. Highlights are easily controlled on manual with iris adjustments. Not sure what you mean about interlacing issues, but that sounds more like an edit/render issue/solution.

Sorry this one didn't work out for you.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Actually I love the HC1 for vacations, etc.. Just want something more for the paying jobs.

As far as interlacing on the Sony, I mainly meant that I find it hard to capture stills of movement which are clean.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:59 PM   #12
Major Player

Could you not shoot from an above area to reduce your head to foot "headroom?"
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Major Player

If you can afford it, it would seem that the Canon XLH1 is well suited to your needs. If you want a progressive image for pulling stills, the F modes are quite good. The camera is great in low light and very detailed. It is also amazingly easy to use in auto mode. Furthermore, it's GREAT for stable handheld work as you have a shoulder mounted form factor and incredible OIS built in to the lens.

You might like having the options of both hyper-real 1080i and a good 24P look with the 24F mode. The 3x SD wide angle lens is surprisingly decent in HD, same with the 16x manual lens. Additionally, an official HD wide angle lens will be available in the fall too.

Bottom line: It's pretty easy to use at a basic level, but you will have options and you can grow with it too.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM   #14
Regular Crew

for a budget of $800... what is a good option for WA in HD100?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:45 PM   #15
Major Player

Ram, the only option that I see you have (worth buying anyway) is the WCV-82SC (Fujinon) wide angle adapter. $500. We have one and although it's not a huge difference over the standard lens it does help a little, and it's a good piece of glass that you can zoom through.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems